Watches you've spotted in "the wild"
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Watches you've spotted in "the wild"

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Question Watches you've spotted in "the wild"

So, tonight at my place of work; I spotted a gold tone vintage Rolex DateJust on some guy's wrist. At first I thought: "It's probably not." And then when the light reflected on that crown logo...

It gave me the idea to start this thread. Seeing that DateJust marks the first time I have spotted a "familiar" or "expensive" watch in "the wild." Although, I also swore I saw a lady wearing a lady DateJust today; and I also think I saw another lady possibly wearing a men's Rolex or Tudor on what appeared to be a rubber or leather strap. (I only saw the side profile of the watch case, but it looked similar in style to an oyster/Sub case; and since I'm wearing a Raven Vintage 40, I am super keen to pick up anyone wearing a Rolex, an homage, or any other high quality watch).

I also think I have seen guys wearing high-quality Sub homages or Subs some months ago. These people all usually look at the watch on my wrist too. It is the secret look that is shared by all watch enthusiasts. Maybe you don't ask each other about your watches, but you inspect them discreetly and you just know that they're on the same page as you are.

For me, this is kind of shocking because I'm used to seeing cheapo watches on people's wrists at my work on average.

Perhaps the WISavantry disease is spreading? Oh yes...Bring on the good times...
    D6AMIA6N likes this.
    My Collection
    Mk II Nassau Ref. 1001 #57 Red Triangle; Mk II Hawkinge Type 48 date; Smiths Everest PRS-25

Re: Watches you've spotted in "the wild"

It's funny to hear you say secret look because I am guilty of that, and whats even worst is the fact that if I can't immediately tell what the watch is, it starts to bother me. I saw a two-tone on a guys wrist and I swore up and down that it was a Rolex like mine, but when I got a really good look it was an Invicta watch and it had the same effect as mine but for Thousands less. I really just love to see when a young person wear a watch, because you can hear some kids say " a watch is useless, if I want to tell the time I look at my phone." Me personally I look at my watch 100's of times a day.

Well I have spotted far too many watches in the wild to think of and make a list at the moment but I did probably freaked out some older gentile man out at a bakery the other day. I saw what appeared to be a vintage Tudor sub which I have yet to see in the wild until then....Needles to say I was staring freakishly long at his wrist and was shameless as I crooked my head while in line to get one last look as he made his way out the door. I was just trying to see if it was all original or not, you know I had to get a good look at the dial and hands just to make sure.
    Last edited by wristclock; January 10th, 2013 at 08:55.
    AlphaWolf777 likes this.
    Calm down.....It's just a watch....

High end watches are all over the place here in Hong Kong. For me, seeing someone wearing a Halios Laguna on isofrane in Miami airport last month was far more interesting!

Maybe a pre-DSSD Seadweller, as anyone who wears a Seadweller got one because it's not a Submariner. A nice GMT Master II also with the Pepsi bezel. You'd be surprised how many non-WIS are wearing NATO straps, though one on a Rolex definitely elicits attention. Once saw a guy wearing a Citizen Ecozilla with nato adapters. Chatted him up a bit about it too.

Occasionally I'll see a guy wearing a Seiko diver's watch, I'll always say, "I like your Seiko Diver's watch" They've never really chatted me about it other than how long they've had it, etc.

When I was 18 I saw a guy wearing a Seiko Tuna can. Too uninterested to go up to him though as I was not all that interested in watches at the time. Have seen two guys wearing Marathons. One was uninterested, the other a few years later, even posted on WUS. Saw two guys wearing Sinns at a liquor store one day.
    AlphaWolf777 likes this.
    Hidden Content

Delta-Whiskey-Delta-Five-Five-Zero-Zero.....huh, it's the positive display one

Delta-Whiskey-Five-Six-Zero-Zero-Echo
    6645-01-356-5944

Foxtrot-Niner-One-Whiskey

Vintage Seamaster.

Numerous Rolex, Ball, etc...
    AlphaWolf777 likes this.

Well I am not going to list common brands ie Rolex,Omega yata yata. When I worked at Northern Tool spotted a Ball Fireman, Marathan Csar and a Panerai.
    I work at a Cadillac dealership now and spotted a Doxa 1200 pro the other day, a Bell n Ross a few weeks ago and believe it or not seen a 4-5 Big honkin Invicta's LOL.
    Yet to see any micro's in the wild.

Around town in HKG, I see just about everything...This is a great place to stare at people's wrist and admire their watches...It's more fun when they catch you staring and look at you funny...Oh well...

My dentist had a Vostok Amphibia on his wrist the other day. I complimented him but he was a non-WIS, said his sister living in Germany bought him that when the wall fell. The dial was a "paratrooper" one.

Besides the numerous fashion watches, Invicta's and G-shocks, I do occasionally spot Rolex's and, even more rarely, Omega's.

I thought I'd never see one in the wild, but a few months ago, I did see a Seiko Tuna strapped on another man's wrist.

And every now and then, I'd see a Seiko SKX007J on a fellow commuter's wrist. We sometimes take the same subway car together, so I'd stand close to him, positioning my watch in his line of sight. He's never noticed.

I sound creepy, huh?
    Seiko/Casio/Tudor

View my feedback by clicking Hidden Content .

Hidden Content me if you want to talk watches.

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast