WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What do you think is the best value dive watch in the world???

35K views 67 replies 49 participants last post by  Lenk 
#1 ·
I just posted a similar thread in the Public Forum. I know it's impossible to have a right or wrong answer, I'm just interested in what you all think. For me, its:

Orient Mako
Seiko Monster
Seiko SKX

Any takers???

#5 ·
Marathon SAR for me. Feels like it should cost way more than it does.

#6 ·
Certainly the Seikos are the best value - maybe Citizens and Orients right there, too -

Out of all divers, the best values for me -

Seiko SXK007 - classic, even works as a dress diver (to a degree)
Orient Mako - beautiful, solid, good dressy watch, too

Basically, the hugely mass produced watches are cheap for what you get - almost any diver is going to be tough enough for most things - the sapphire vs not would be the biggest drawback in the low end watches. Watches that can be dressy as well represent the best value to me.

Also, I would include the Bernhardt Globemaster - inexpensive for a limited edition watch with Swiss movement.

In terms of expensive watches, I guess ones that hold their value would be the best value - so, a pre-owned Omega, Rolex, Doxa, etc perhaps. I think you would be hard-pressed to explain how they represent a better value than the inexpensive, functional, good-looking watches like the Seikos and Orients.

I've only considered automatics here - G-shocks and such certainly do much more for less, but aesthetically aren't my thing (at the moment) and I don't see them working as a dress watch (revealing my myopic, traditional vision of what that means).

#7 ·
the globemaster looks sweet, never heard of it before. I wouldn't mind one at all...

And yeah, I agree that in the upper echelons Rolex is probably a good bet. At least you can sell it if you get bored of it. As for Doxa, I don't think I'd ever get bored of it.

#8 ·
I would argue that Citizen Automatic divers are even better value for $$$ than Seiko. They're typically cheaper, folks claim that they typically have better out of box accuracy than Seiko and they last as long as Seiko.

SKX is about 150 bucks, Citizen NY0040 for example can be held for 130 or possibly even cheaper than that and it looks "as good" on braclet.

#9 ·
I just posted a similar thread in the Public Forum. I know it's impossible to have a right or wrong answer, I'm just interested in what you all think. For me, its:

Orient Mako
Seiko Monster
Seiko SKX

Any takers???
I think before we answer this question you need to define value for us. What do you value most in a watch? This is what I mean STyling, technology, heritage, exclusivity, etc.... what do you the individual place the most importance on that will help you determine value as you see it.

#10 ·
I don't know if you mean for actually diving or for sport wear.

I dove with a Citizen Aqualand for 10 years... even though you have dive gauges with depth and remaining oxygen it was nice to have redundant features on the wrist.

For some reason I got in the habit of checking the watch for depth. The no flight indicator was a nice feature too.

Dive boats can be cluttered and clanky and your always bumping stuff, walls, and people... You can wreck dive with high-end time pieces but when you go to sell them your not going to have a 99% TZ rating

In popular dive spots people (tourist / newbs) lose high end watches... ask the dive captains. Huge watches with the bracelet too loose - or too tight so when they bend their wrist back the tension snaps the spring bar out... you're not even going to feel that Super Avenger fall off.

So for actual diving I would say Citizen, Seiko, G-Shock, GSAR (Marathon) and leave the expensive stuff in the Hotel Safe (if you're poor like me) ...then you can go watch finding with the locals.

#11 ·
Simple answer the ZILLA 1000m, hard as nails duratect ti,removable bezel for cleaning after dunks, great lume. for the moolah, it cannot be beat for what you get.

Citizen has a dive watch track record that is also hard to beat.:-!

#16 ·
Re: Seiko SKX

No question.
I gotta agree.....I've had a Citizen NY0040, and although the lume was sick, it looked a lot "cheaper" than a 007. And I love marathons, but jeez, the skx is a fraction of the cost, even on a nice oyster bracelet. Hand an SKX on an oyster to a non-wis along with a rolex sub, and I doubt you'd EVER get them to guess the price difference (assuming of course they didn't recognize the brand names!) Now, I'm not REALLY comparing an SKX to a Sub, but c'mon, $175 vs. $5000?o|o|o|o| OK, now you've got me heading over to ebay to sneak a peak.....

#19 · (Edited)
Seiko 007. This one has a Sapphire crystal and a awesome bracelet with screwed links and SEL. Price including mods around $300

#22 ·
Definitely the Monster, preferably of the Orange variety. A solid automatic workhorse movement, unique and attractive styling, domed crystal, amazing lume, smooth 120 click bezel, drilled lugs, and a partial shroud for such a low price? It defies logic, and seriously questions why we would want to pay more for a watch.

#24 ·
I'm pretty sure that there is no definitive answer to such a sweeping question, but will put in my two cents anyway. In my book, the best value for money diver is a toss-up between the Seiko Monster and teh Alba Manta.

#30 ·
I'm pretty sure that there is no definitive answer to such a sweeping question, but will put in my two cents anyway. In my book, the best value for money diver is a toss-up between the Seiko Monster and teh Alba Manta.
Agreed the poster would be better to educate himself on the various features on dive watches, and watches in general, decide which of these are important to him, and look for a watch he can afford that incorporates as many of those features as possible.

#25 ·
I've also got to throw in the idea of the new Dievas Aqualuna... that thing is simply amazing looking, especially considering the new presentation box they're offering. That might not mean anything to some, but I really dig that feature.

#33 ·
Great addition.. and point!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.