What is so wrong about the Squale Master ltd edition?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What is so wrong about the Squale Master ltd edition?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is so wrong about the Squale Master ltd edition?

I recently fell in love with the Squale Master in black, but there is something I don't get: they are still available, which means in 2 years they did not manage to sell 300 off them!

On on the outside, it seems great. Nice case, looks good, I love those hands, funcky brand, decent movement with an added complication (power reserve indication) added by reputable company, for about usd 2500. Why is there no love for them?
    - is it because it's too much money for a Squale? (Would be akin to buying a super expensive vw such as the phantom?)
    - is it because there are better watches in that price range (I'd be keen to see them)
    - is it because when you saved 2.5k you might as well save up for something more prestigious?

im really curious to know all of your oppinions. As background, I loved the Master but started researching the brand and decided to go with the blue 50 atmos, as I thought it give me more of the experience of the brand for less then half the price. But as I am about to pull the trigger on the 50 ATM, I got in doubt. Should I go for the the cheaper option as the weekend / beach watch I have been looking for (and that, btw, I really loved) and keep saving for my grails, our should I get the more expensive one that caught my eye originally? Decisions, decisions, decisions...
    Last edited by Psicodom; April 16th, 2017 at 15:16. Reason: Edited to remove typos. No content change
    commanche likes this.

Re: What is so wrong about the Squale Master ltd edition?

Personally, I dislike PR meters, and the price seems way out of line for what you are actually getting. If it were priced the same as or slightly higher than the 50amtos, I'd still take the 50 every time.
    Psicodom likes this.

I dont think its a limited edition. I might be wrong. If you like it go for it. The thing with squale is that their top watch is the 50 atmos imo.

So most people get the 5o atmos cuz its a more appealing design it fit most wrists and wallets and its the famous case used by blanpain, heuer etc. But if you can afford/justify the master and like it better than the 50 atmos, go for it.

as for me I grow out of squale, in the 50 atmos range I prefer the oris aquis, and the master range I prefer a tudor.
    Last edited by Maradonio; April 16th, 2017 at 03:57.
    crt43 likes this.

As far as I know nothing ails the Master it's just a case of for that sort of money a buyer could get a more "prestigious" brand and for those of who are a bit more in the know it just seems rather a lot for what you're getting.
    Psicodom likes this.

Squale makes fantastic watches but at this price I would have to pass!

Aside from calling it a Master Limited Edition, at that price it makes more sense to buy a Tudor or save a bit more for an Omega. It's a lot of money and I just can't see beyond the micro-brand at that price point.

I do really like the Squale Pan Am.

Squale Pan Am
    Last edited by Medusa; April 20th, 2017 at 20:40.

Worldwide, but currently based in the UAE

Psicodom,
    The black MASTER is in my view an excellent choice for those of us who like to own something a little bit different. Is the asking price too high? For most regular Squale buyers the answer is probably a very loud 'Yes'. You can get a lot of other watches from very good brands (or a couple or three Squale's) for similar money.

However what you are buying into is something that is rather unique. limited edition and simply different from the rest of the crowd.

The new model has some nice throw back features to the older original Squale Masters from the 70's (Square hour markers) and comes with that lovely inlaid bi-directional Bakelite bezel and screw in lugs.

If you want one but want to be smart with your money, then be patient and wait for one to pop up in the second hand market. RSP was $2500 but you can get them for around $1750 used. I recent bought an ex-display Green model from Page and Cooper for $1800 (TAX FREE)

I am fortunate (and old enough) to now own a large collection of Omega, Tudor, Seiko and Squale watches with a Rolex GMT inbound as I type, so I think I am able to give a good evaluation of watches in general and the quality they provide.

The Squale Master 60 Atmos IMO is a really fine watch and its attraction is in its uniqueness in style and limited availability in numbers.

I attach a picture of my own Squale master collection to help you decide!

Last edited by Cameron Walker; May 19th, 2017 at 11:11.

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Walker View Post
    Psicodom,
    The black MASTER is in my view an excellent choice for those of us who like to own something a little bit different. Is the asking price too high? For most regular Squale buyers the answer is probably a very loud 'Yes'. You can get a lot of other watches from very good brands (or a couple or three Squale's) for similar money.

However what you are buying into is something that is rather unique. limited edition and simply different from the rest of the crowd.

The new model has some nice throw back features to the older original Squale Masters from the 70's (Square hour markers) and comes with that lovely inlaid bi-directional Bakelite bezel and screw in lugs.

If you want one but want to be smart with your money, then be patient and wait for one to pop up in the second hand market. RSP was $2500 but you can get them for around $1750 used. I recent bought an ex-display Green model from Page and Cooper for $1800 (TAX FREE)

I am fortunate (and old enough) to now own a large collection of Omega, Tudor, Seiko and Squale watches with a Rolex GMT inbound as I type, so I think I am able to give a good evaluation of watches in general and the quality they provide.

The Squale Master 60 Atmos IMO is a really fine watch and its attraction is in its uniqueness in style and limited availability in numbers.

I attach a picture of my own Squale master collection to help you decide!

Can you please re-upload your pic? It doesn't show up on Tapatalk.

Sent from my LG-H630 using Tapatalk
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

personally don't like the look. feels like there's too much going on. price is borderline ridiculous. but these are all my own opinions. if you don't feel like it's out of line then it's a good watch for you.

My personal opinion...It's ugly and it's expensive, and that's not usually a winning combination.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information