Thread: What is the true water resistance of the Rolex GMT Master IIc

What is the true water resistance of the Rolex GMT Master IIc

Hey guys.. been lurking here for years... and I finally registered! I have so many pent up questions for you alll. Anyway.. I just posted what follows below in the Rolex forum. But I figured that you all may have the answer to this.... or at least provide basis for a vigorous debate on the topic

IDK if the GMT Master IIc qualifies as a "dive watch" but I have dived with my prior generation GMT Master II (although in at a shallow depth).. so sorry if this question isnt appropriate for this forum.
    __________________________________________________ ___________

Hey there...

I have been lurking this site for many years, and have finally registered as a member. Dont ask me why I didnt many years ago... but I am finally here and can speak!!

Anyway, when I was a little kid, my father had a 1970's era Rolex GMT Master II (pepsi bezel) and I loved this watch ever since.

So... a couple of years ago, I bought a Red/Black Dialed GMT Master II (circa 2004) and I loved it.

Anyway, when Rolex upgraded the GMT to have the new bezel, crown, Maxi-Dial, bracelet/clasp... I just couldnt resist.

So last month, I traded in my "old" GMT Master II for this brand new GMT Master IIc.

I LOVE IT. LOVE IT.

Get so many compliments on this watch, and I find myself often staring at and admiring its beauty. Or simply holding it and examining the purity of the design and sheer perfection of its aesthetics.

So.. back to my question.

The new triplock crown is far more robust than that of my old GMT Master II. And I have seen prior threads about the fact that water resistance is not simply a matter of the new gaskets and crown, but also driiven by the thickness of the crystal and the caseback.

I get that.

However, when I compare this watch to other divers that I have with depth ratings of 200m+, I have a hard time believing that the GMT Master IIc can "only" withstand 100m of presure.

I wonder whether Rolex is being deliberately conserviative on its depth rating on this watch.

Perhaps to avoid cannibalization of sales on the SUB? But, given the "higher" price of the GMT IIc I cant imagine this being a concern.

And... this is a different watch and not (IMHO) a substitute for the Submariner.

I actually went SCUBA diving with my prior GMT Master II in the Caymans a few years ago (only 25-40 feet) and the watch performed fine. I realize this is no test in any way of the watch's capabilities.

So, what do you guys think?

Has anyone ever pressure tested thier GMT Master IIc?

Thanks guys...
    Francisco

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.”
    --Mark Twain

(how i feel about watches)

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Re: What is the true water resistance of the Rolex GMT Master IIc

It will probably resist water pressure up to around 183 psi.

I do not know....

But one thing I know that Rolex stands by its WR rating for every model. So the GMT IIc is 100m WR, it can go down to 100m. It might be more, and I believe too. However if you would like to go beyond 100m, I think better take the Sub.

The GMT IIc has a ceramic bezel, and maxi dial, SEL, new clasp, bigger crown......etc. Besides the WR rating, obviously it is more expensive than the Sub in many ways. Also the GMT movt is more complicated than the Sub's.

Anyway I think Rolex does not want to make its GMT model with deep WR, after all, GMT is NOT required in diving. In this way, Rolex is making their clients to buy more Rolex for different occasions.

All I can say, Rolex GMT watches are good for WR as stated 100m. Beyond that, I would not recommend you to try it unless you have the "power" to do it. And if the pressure test fails at 110m for e.g., seriously I do not think Rolex will honor its warranty in that case.

Banned

If Rolex watches are classified as "Divers" watches, they must undergo certain stringent tests. All "certified" divers have to be approved according to the ISO 6425 specs. One of them is a minimum depth of 100 meters, but has to be tested for that +25%.
    Somehow I think/feel that a Rolex branded as 100m WR can take much, much more.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

25% over 100 meters equals 12.5 bar over-pressure (which is 183 psi.)

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    If Rolex watches are classified as "Divers" watches, they must undergo certain stringent tests. All "certified" divers have to be approved according to the ISO 6425 specs. One of them is a minimum depth of 100 meters, but has to be tested for that +25%.
    Somehow I think/feel that a Rolex branded as 100m WR can take much, much more.
    Oh yes! If not they won't be called Rolex right? They are not LOLEX alright!

thanks guys... very helpful responses.

Lesson learned here.

Snorkeling or swimming with GMT Master IIc -- OK

Shallow diving (e.g. less than 15 meters) -- OK

Anything deeper than 15 meters -- why risk it??

Thats when I break out the true divers in my collection like the Breitling Steelfish, Citizen EcoZilla, Citizen Aqualand, or Seiko 007.

Or that Korsbek Oceaneer I have yet to purchase

Or that SBDX001 Marinemaster that I have yet to purchase

Or that Sinn U1 I have yet to purchase

Or that ...

Ok I will stop.

You guys get it.. I have an addiction

Francisco

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.”
    --Mark Twain

(how i feel about watches)

Quote Originally Posted by fverwoer View Post
    thanks guys... very helpful responses.

Lesson learned here.

Snorkeling or swimming with GMT Master IIc -- OK

Shallow diving (e.g. less than 15 meters) -- OK

Anything deeper than 15 meters -- why risk it??

Thats when I break out the true divers in my collection like the Breitling Steelfish, Citizen EcoZilla, Citizen Aqualand, or Seiko 007.

Or that Korsbek Oceaneer I have yet to purchase

Or that SBDX001 Marinemaster that I have yet to purchase

Or that Sinn U1 I have yet to purchase

Or that ...

Ok I will stop.

You guys get it.. I have an addiction

hehehe....I am same with you! Even if I have the Sea Dweller, my Casio will do the job for me in the Sun, Sand and Sea! Yeah shoot me, I babied my watches! Cos it is my hard earned money dumped into stupid watches!

Thread Information