WHY do the straps smell like VANILLA!?!? - Page 4
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: WHY do the straps smell like VANILLA!?!?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: WHY do the straps smell like VANILLA!?!?

Yep! Both my Marathon GSAR, and the Isofrane rubber strap that came with my Shark Diver smell like vanilla. I kind of like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    I take it you do not like vanilla! Pity, I could post a DELICIOUS recipe for Vanilla and Coffee Marinated Venison (works with lamb too) I got from the Master Chef at the local RitzCarlton!
    Can you PM me the recipe? I'll wear my SAR rubber whIle preparing.

Thanks!
    MJK

Keep on Rockin in the Free World!

It smells like vanilla because the scent is added to mask the smell of... rubber. Not many people like their straps smelling of car tyres. Why vanilla, because it was probably one of the least offensive smelling scent that conveyed a sense of luxury. Actual vanilla essence is really expensive. Synthetic vanilla is what you are smelling.

It can be removed by boiling in water. Alternatively, you can also rub on your favourite perfume and that should alter the smell. Eventually the scent dissipates.

my UTS rubber smells pretty strong vanilla

axelf71

My ORIS TT1 rubber strap smells of vanilla,and after 2.5 yrs the smell hasn't seemed to lessen any. Apparently these straps are supposedly made from the exact same rubber used to make Formula 1 tyres, hence the radially grooved strap imitating a dry weather F1 tyre. I guess the vanilla fragrance is used to mask the natural rubber smell.

I think it's been done for a long time now...I have a couple of NOS and vintage Tropic straps from the 60's - 70's era and they smell like that, too. The strap on my ol' Sinn 656 also smelled like that.
    Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

I read somewhere that it was a coating used to mask the naturally unpleasant scent of rubber. Not sure if that's true... but I do know of a way to decreaes its potentcy though... submerge it in salt-water for an hour or two. It's naturally corrosive and breaks down the scent into a very faint and actually quite pleasant aura, and only noticeable when extremely close to the nose. Then again, after all the years of smoking, I can't be 100% sure it wasn't just that my ability to sense it falling short. ;D
    I have over 80 salt water dives wearing my Isofrane strap, approx 100 hours plus in salt water. The vanilla smell is as strong today as when she first arrived.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Watch List:

AQUADIVE - B/100 Bronze 008/100, DOXA - 1000T Professional 615/5000, H2O - 2000m Orca Diver, TAWATEC - 300m Titan, WILSON WATCH WORKS - 2K Diver 45/50, HAMILTON - Vintage Electra, CASIO -G-Shock 6600, CASIO-Protrek 2500T

Incoming Soon:

WILSON WATCH WORKS -
    1K Diver 45/50

Quote Originally Posted by buffedupboy View Post
    It smells like vanilla because the scent is added to mask the smell of... rubber. Not many people like their straps smelling of car tyres. Why vanilla, because it was probably one of the least offensive smelling scent that conveyed a sense of luxury. Actual vanilla essence is really expensive. Synthetic vanilla is what you are smelling.
    You hit the nail on the head. Vanilla is considered an almost universally pleasing scent and is used in many forms for that purpose - perfumes, air fresheners, etc. And, of course, in cooking. Citrus and other aromas do not enjoy the same universal appeal. And, as you pointed out, nor does the smell of rubber.

The best straps are produced by the Italian firm of Bonetto Cinturini, which has been producing high-quality rubber straps for decades. They use a proprietary blend to produce straps that are especially resistant to both salt water and UV light ... and smell strongly of vanilla.
    Datejust 116233 • Datejust 16233 • TH Carrera WAR211B.B0782
    Air Zermatt H64554131 •
    Viewmatic H32455185 • KF chronograph H71466133

Copyright notice: Original photographs posted by this member are copyright © 2010-2014 by WatchWerx.com and New Sheriff Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved. Posting of original photos conveys to WatchUSeek a non-exclusive, royalty-free, limited license for continued publication of such photos on WatchUSeek. Use of these photographs for any other commercial purpose, including, but not limited to, use by other members for personal "for sale" postings, is prohibited without express written permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue884 View Post
    Here is the fix, go by more straps.
    LOL. Exactly the kind of answer that strap makers are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stowa Marine Automatic solid silver dial Hamilton Jazzmaster Power Reserve | Jazzmaster Viewmatic Seiko 5 SNZD13J1 | 5 SNZE87J1 Parnis Power Reserve Accurist Kinetic Chronograph MB 560 Casio (G-Shock) GW50001JF | DW5200C | DW5600C | DW5600R3 | G7800B1DR | DW6600 |​ DW6630B (modded) Casio (Protrek) PRG-240B

Quote Originally Posted by iinsic View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. Vanilla is considered an almost universally pleasing scent and is used in many forms for that purpose - perfumes, air fresheners, etc. And, of course, in cooking. Citrus and other aromas do not enjoy the same universal appeal. And, as you pointed out, nor does the smell of rubber.

The best straps are produced by the Italian firm of Bonetto Cinturini, which has been producing high-quality rubber straps for decades. They use a proprietary blend to produce straps that are especially resistant to both salt water and UV light ... and smell strongly of vanilla.
    I have to agree with you here. I have three Bonetto Cinturini straps (one came with my JSAR--I'm 99% sure it's BC, since I bought an identical strap from thewatchprince) and they are fantastic. One of them is a little thick for my taste, but that's my fault for choosing that model. Also, the "suave" models take to single fold deployant modifications very well.

Personally I love the vanilla smell. And these straps are reasonably priced ($30-35), so it's nice.
    iinsic likes this.
    TAG Heuer Monaco Vintage LE|Omega Speedmaster Professional|Suunto X-Lander Mil|Hamilton Pan Europ|Flight Timer|Seiko SBDX001|Revue Thommen Chrono Diver

A man's watch is a very cherished thing. You steal that, you might as well be stealing his soul.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information