Thread: My Luminor Marina PAM 111--Is this real or fake? Please help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Luminor Marina PAM 111--Is this real or fake? Please help.

All,

I recently purchased a used Panerai Luminor Marina, Historic with the sub-second dial at 9 o'clock (PAM 111). It has a black face, brown strap.

I have been in the market for this watch for some time. I did not want a new 2008 or 2009 model, and since the mechanics of the Marina are essentially the same post-2002, I decided to buy a used one.

I am somewhat knowledgeable, and did thorough research beforehand. I am well aware that there are numerous, meticulous, well crafted fakes out there. So, I did everything I could to ensure that I purchased the real deal.

So, like I said, I bought a used, 2003 "F" year, Luminor Marina. I purchased it from a jewlery store on Lexington Avenue in Manhattan. The watch came from (according to the store owner) Cellini Jewlers in Manhattan. Cellini is an Authorized Panerai dealer. The papers confirm this. I paid $3,200 cash. I believed this to be a fair price; not too good to be true, and not too pricey. The watch is in excellent shape, and the store assured me it was never worn. They claim it was a floor model.

Like I said, I did thorough research, and ticked all the boxes.

I received all the papers with the watch (I think). It really was as new as can be.

With the watch I received:
    1) the black felt-like outer box;
    2) the brown/tan pear-wood box;
    3) the extra silicon, black band;
    4) the Panerai screwdriver;
    5) the silicon bezel guard;
    6) the "Storici" instruction booklet;
    7) the "Officine Panerai-Libretto di Garanzia" booklet/warranty;
    8) the COSC certificate (tucked into the back flap of the warranty);
    9) the "Certificato di Garanzia Internazionale" International Guarantee Card (credit card like) with the serial number of my watch written on the back and the "Cellini Jewlers-Authorized Dealer" stamp also on the back; and
    10) the black felt cloth; and
    11) a postcard with the serial number, model number and watch number to be used to register the watch. I mailed this card to Panerai immediately.

The store wrote me a legitimate receipt for the watch, noting the serial number, etc.

So, unless someone tells me otherwise, I believe I have all the papers.

Also, like I mentioned, I do have some knowledge, and checked all the "tells" that I know of to determine whether it is authentic.

I have absolutely NO reason to believe that this is a fake.

There is the hallmark bluish hue that is obvious when the crystal catches the light. The font seems perfect on the front. There is a swan-neck regulator that is fine and appears to be carefully calibrated. The regulator is arrow shaped. The watch is heavy, there are no moving or loose or pliable pieces. The cannon pin is flush with the top minute hand. It is luminous in the dark (though I can not really compare this to anything). Finally, I have compared every last letter of the engravings on the back side to the photos in the manual, and online. The placement seems impecable. I have, quite literally studied authentic photos and can not find a single disparity. Also, the seller encouraged me to mail the postcard registering the watch (which I did immediately).

The point is, this is my only Panerai. I have no reason to believe it is a fake, but I wanted to ask the forum to please chime in with their thoughts.

The only doubts I have are: (1) I do not personally know the jewler that I bought it from (nevertheless, he sells all sorts of rolexes, breitlings, diamonds etc., so it is not extraordinary for him to have this watch); (2) The COSC cert does not have the serial number on it anywhere. Is this common? It seems odd to me, but not necessarily; and (3) My own paranoia.

So, I just want to make sure I got the real deal. I will work on getting some pics posted, but have been having difficulty snapping decent ones.

Can anyone offer some thoughts in the mean time? Are there any other tells I missed that I can check? Are there any other documents or papers that should have come with the watch? I know that there is typically a third outer box, but I do not have that.

Please someone tell me that I am paranoid and to stop worrying.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-GACK

Re: My Luminor Marina PAM 111--Is this real or fake? Please help.

You're being paranoid. Enjoy the watch. ;)
    The COSC typically will not have the serial# of the watch, but instead, the # of the movement inside the watch. The mov't # is usually on the sticker that comes w/ the package, but it doesn't sound like the stickers were included with yours, which is fine.

Without pictures, it'll be difficult to say, but from what you describe, it sounds like the real deal. The cleaning cloth that comes w/ Panerais are usually tan color, but may have been black during the F series (someone would have to confirm).

But stop looking at your new PAM under a microscope and start strap hunting!

Congrats!

Many thanks LexWatch! I was really struggling with this.

Actually, I forgot to mention, it did also come with the beige cleaning cloth. The black velty, felty thing is not a cleaning cloth, it is more like a jeweler display thing, it unfolds. I guess you are supposed to lay the watch out on it or something.

Thanks again.

Good clear high res pics would help!
    Anonimo
    Chronoscopio AMG Special Edition
    Professionale 6000 (yellow face)
    Militare Chrono Ox-Pro Edition II
    Polluce stainless and gold #69/99
    Polluce stainless blue face on bracelet #94/199
    RESCO ​Patriot x 2
    Panerai 177 "The Stephanie"
    Sinn U1
    Seiko SBDB001 MM600, SRP043K, SBDC001, SRP455
    Baume & Mercier Avant-Garde - diamond hour markers, Luminox several
    Casio G-Shock:G7900A-4, GXW56E-1, GX56-1B, GD-100MS-1
    Vintage Jaeger LeCoultre and Universal Geneve
    "Time is too precious to keep it on an inexpensive watch"

here are some pics of my watch.

some are better than others, i did my best.

please let me know if you think i am safe.

any advice would be appreciated.

like i said, i have nothing leading me to believe this is not an authentic panerai. i'm paranoid, right?

thoughts?
    thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images      

OCEAN7 Forum Moderator SeikoSickness's Avatar

GACK,

From your description of the contents and the photos it certainly looks like the real deal. Enjoy the watch and I'd love to own a pre-H series 111 at some point...just for the differences from my I series.
    Marcin

Marcin,

Many thanks. Off to enjoy it!

Definitely gen.

Enjoy it! I'm a sausage dial lover, myself - plus I like the E-G "grafitti" decoration better than the newer CdG decoration.
    - Trent (base dial aficionado)

Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment - Lao Tzu

sweet. i'll sleep soundly tonight.

love the pan "graffiti" style deco myself.

thanks again

Looks good to me. Great model the 111. It was my first...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information