CODA - feedback wanted on our watch and business concept
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: CODA - feedback wanted on our watch and business concept

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CODA - feedback wanted on our watch and business concept

Hey WatchUSeek!

*Scroll to the bottom of the page for the 3d renderings!

My brother, cousin and me have been working on a watch (and business) concept and would love to know what you think. Feedback would really help us out a lot as we are still in the concept stage. We would love it if you could tell us what you think about:

• Business Idea
    • Overall impression of the design direction
    • The second hand
    • The vector choice
    • And anything else you feel like

Business Idea:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	da-capo-al-coda-01-01-1024x102 (1).png 
Views:	90 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	11187394
    2 watches (with variations in colours) as a relationship gift for couples: the Coda X & Y.
    They can be engraved on the back with a personal message and come with a relationship lifetime warranty (warranty for 1 year + as long as the couple is together).

Vision: (just skip if it bores you)

Let me give you a short explanation of our vision, as it will help in understanding some design choices.
    We believe that time itself is your most valuable possession. In our view, the best use of time is time that is spent with the people around you - and especially the people you love. We want to embody this idea by making watches that represent this belief for him & her. Therefore, we plan on selling watches as a relationship gift. The watches are made to symbolise the time loved ones give to each other. Moreover, they might just make your wife more appreciative of your watch collection ;)

The design:
    The aim is a thin, unisex dress watch. We are thinking of making 6 variations of the watch design.

The 'X-series': with a a white dial and a silver, rose-gold or black case.

The 'Y-series': with a black dial and a silver, rose-gold or black case.

The case:
    We used basic circular geometry to create the watch case. We are maintaining a 1:2 relation between the curving of the case and the curving of the dial. By combining this with a minimum width of 1 mm between the dial and the border of the case we keep the design slim, while preserving the unique aesthetics of a contemporary yet elegant timepiece. The result is in our opinion oddly satisfying.

a gif that shows how the case is designed step by step using basic geonometry

The hands:

Name:	hands-01-1024x341--1-.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	11187402

The respective lengths of the hour and minute hands are determined using the golden ratio.

The second hand is pretty unconventional. As we believe that the moment is of more importance than what second it is exactly, we have made the second hand symmetrical, which leaves the owner in dubio about which direction it points at. We are very curious what you opinion about it is.

Dial Design:

Because the second hand is so weird, we were able to experiment with a wide variety of vectors. We decided against numerals but have so far not found the perfect option. Thus, we have lined up 4 choices that appeal to us here. Which is your favorite?

Name:  various-vectors-1024x1024.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  85.3 KB

Specs:

• Ronda 1015 Swiss movement (8 jewel quartz)
    • Flat sapphire glass
    • 316L Stainless Steel
    • 6.6 mm thick
    • 36 mm dial,
    • 38 mm diameter (horizontally and vertically)
    • 20 mm lug distance
    • Screw down case back
    • 5ATM (we might increase this but this would sadly also increase the thickness)

For now this is it. We would love hearing what you think and having a bit of back and forth about the business idea, design, specs, vector & whatever else you feel like. We are here to listen and will share the first 3d renderings in this post when they are ready.

Cheers!

P.S. Dear mods, if I seem too promotional or if I am in any other way in violation of the forum rules, please send me a p.m. and I will edit/take this post offline immediately.

Last edited by CodaThijs; 1 Day Ago at 14:52. Reason: Formatting
    CODAFIL likes this.

Re: CODA - feedback wanted on our watch and business concept

The dial area appears a bit too dominant to me ( she small rim (if it would be round it would shape the glass) but the corners are too much ( in combination with the small lugs) or on the other side too little for the big dial !) Try a little bit smaller dial and glass area and perhaps leave more case material on the edges - and the lugs. ..but that is just me :)
    CodaThijs likes this.

Slightly smaller dial would also slip the date window a bit closer to the outer edge, which is usually preferable.

I like the 4 lines for a musical scale, per dial D...but put something on them. You probably can't use musical notes; they'll be too big.

Honestly...the seconds hand would be IMMEDIATE rejection for me. It's AWFUL, from the standpoint of timing something, which I do for short-interval things, or setting the watch. And it's not the place for confusion.

Final point. Going with models "X" and "Y" might not be the best choice for a unisex watch.
    CodaThijs likes this.
    Now that I think about it, most of my life has consisted of taking the opening that desperation required and opportunity presented
    --Vlad Taltos, Issola

If it be true that in the twentieth century more space is given to murder than to politics, it is for the excellent reason that murder is a more serious subject.
    --G.K. Chesterton, The Wisdom of Father Brown​

@mechamind Thanks for the feedback! We purposely made the rim as thin as possible to draw the focus more to the dial - and the second hand in particular. Also, the thin case rim is because the watch itself is made to be extremely thin (6.6 mm, but it will seem thinner due to a visual effect we are aiming to create with how we designed the 3d model). We are working on 3d-renderings that will illustrate this way better and I am curious what you guys will think of it then :)
    Last edited by CodaThijs; 1 Day Ago at 16:14.

@gangrel
    Thanks man, great feedback! Interesting point on the date window, I will go find out if we can move it closer to the outer edge.

On the musical scale of dial D, we feel the same. It is nice, but it isn't quite right. The concept is pretty cool and will appeal to other musicians (it is no coincedence we are named Coda), but it seems a bit off so if you have any ideas please let me know!

It is also true that the second hand will make this watch an impossible fit for anyone that has to time short-intervals, like medical examiners and the like. However, this is a trade-off we had to make as the symmetry of the hand is quite unique and really symbolises our vision.

Good point on the naming, I will discuss it with my brother and cousin.

I'm curious ... Imaging the watch would be thin as a Skagen or Bering the corners would be contra the thin edges.... but ... as written I'm curious what you will come up with!
    CodaThijs likes this.

It's an interesting watch concept. I look forward to follow how it develops. I especilly like the case design, which gives a god contrast with the dial. Also the ideas you have with the smaller second catches my eye in an interesting way. Here are some thoughts:

- The second hand remind me of a airplane propeller. This gives me a airline feel, especially when looking at the caseback.
    - If the dial is 38 mm, I suspect the outer case (with the corners) will wear very big. Especially on a female wrist.
    - Using the symbol for coda as logo? I suppose you have already considered it.
    - You clearly have a musical theme. Perhaps you could play with influences from instruments when designing the dial. But of course, if doing so, it must be very subtle.
    CodaThijs likes this.

@hirwill

Good point on the watch size. Although there is a trend where women are starting to increasingly wear bigger watches you are definitely right that this is too big. We will be changing it to a 36mm dial and 38 mm case. Thanks!

On the musical theme, we did consider this and finally chose not to have the coda symbol as a logo as we do not want to put emphasis on the musical aspect. We want the focus to be on the second hand and our vision, which is why we chose to include the second hand in the logo instead. We see the musical aspect more as an easter egg and will be engraving the coda symbol more subtly on the crown.

Not likely the coda symbol could be trademarked, at least on its own or without being quite stylized.

36 mm dial will move the date window closer to the edge, assuming you keep the same movement. Should look a bit better.

And subtle is good.

Pair of terms for model names...allegro and glissando.
    CodaThijs likes this.
    Now that I think about it, most of my life has consisted of taking the opening that desperation required and opportunity presented
    --Vlad Taltos, Issola

If it be true that in the twentieth century more space is given to murder than to politics, it is for the excellent reason that murder is a more serious subject.
    --G.K. Chesterton, The Wisdom of Father Brown​

Name:	Coda-Xy3-1110x350.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	11230642

Hey all! Here are the first 3d renderings of our collection! We are very curious what you think!

Below you will find all possible versions we are considering at the moment. It is worth noting that the colours are a little bit off due to the quality of the render. Especially the rose gold and gold versions. We will decide which 3 case colours we will be producing during the Kickstarter based upon feedback, so let us know which you like best.

Name:	Coda X for market test.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	11230610Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coda Y for market test.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	11230634

Here are some more renderings of the case itself:

Name:	Teaser3.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	342.6 KB 
ID:	11230410

Name:	Teaser6.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	611.9 KB 
ID:	11230466
    Last edited by CodaThijs; 1 Day Ago at 14:51.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information