Like Tree7Likes

Thread: I made a watch. Am I cool now?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Cool I made a watch. Am I cool now?

This is the first time I've tried to customize a watch.

I've always liked regulators and weird watches in general, but I could never justify spending $500+ on a quartz watch with no complications and only one hand! Solution: make my own.

I sourced a free quartz watch with a slim case that I liked in the style of Skagen. It was a demo from a promotional products company. I could have asked them for a much more expensive watch and still gotten it for free, but I didn't have the heart. Once it was open I was happy to discover that it had a Myota movement.

I designed the face in Illustrator and printed it on premium photo paper with my laser printer. Even under an eye loupe you can't tell that it wasn't made in a factory properly. That is until I glued it onto the original face and goofed up a few places. :oops: But you have to look at it under a loupe to see the scuffs I made so I'm okay with it.

I got the hand from Otto Frei. I had to trim it shorter and customize the hole where it attaches to the hour wheel since it was intended as a minutes hand. I may be the first person ever to customize a watch with JB Weld.

In the end I must say that this was the most TEDIOUS and FIDDLY project I have ever done. I hope I never try to JB Weld something together that's less that 1mm across. I can't imagine doing any *real* work on a watch. God bless the bastards that make these things.

So what do you think? Decent first attempt?
    CCCP, kiwidj, boeing767 and 3 others like this.

Re: I made a watch. Am I cool now?

Quote Originally Posted by theevilshiftkey View Post
    This is the first time I've tried to customize a watch.

I've always liked regulators and weird watches in general, but I could never justify spending $500+ on a quartz watch with no complications and only one hand! Solution: make my own.

I sourced a free quartz watch with a slim case that I liked in the style of Skagen. It was a demo from a promotional products company. I could have asked them for a much more expensive watch and still gotten it for free, but I didn't have the heart. Once it was open I was happy to discover that it had a Myota movement.

I designed the face in Illustrator and printed it on premium photo paper with my laser printer. Even under an eye loupe you can't tell that it wasn't made in a factory properly. That is until I glued it onto the original face and goofed up a few places. :oops: But you have to look at it under a loupe to see the scuffs I made so I'm okay with it.

I got the hand from Otto Frei. I had to trim it shorter and customize the hole where it attaches to the hour wheel since it was intended as a minutes hand. I may be the first person ever to customize a watch with JB Weld.

In the end I must say that this was the most TEDIOUS and FIDDLY project I have ever done. I hope I never try to JB Weld something together that's less that 1mm across. I can't imagine doing any *real* work on a watch. God bless the bastards that make these things.

So what do you think? Decent first attempt?
    Nice project! I love the Bauhaus style face. I love the styling of many of the German / Bauhaus watches like the Stowa Antea, but cannot afford them. This is a good idea. If you try another, you might think about doing two different colors, like leave the markers black, but make the numbers blue or something.

You should post this in the affordable forum, it will get a lot more response.

Kind Regards,
    Nick
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Yes that Stowa was one of my inspirations, if it wasn't obvious. :)

Quote Originally Posted by theevilshiftkey View Post
    Yes that Stowa was one of my inspirations, if it wasn't obvious. :)
    I think the extra long markers on yours actually improves on the look vs the Stowa. The blue hands on the Stowa what gives it the edge.

Kind Regards,
    Nick
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Awesome. Looks good. Fairly unique look over all.

I thought about blue hands but decided on black. I felt like blue hands... er hand would stand out too much with the minimalist theme.

+1

Great job~Cheers!

very nice, love the font you used. can you tell me what it is. i might try something like this in the future. cheers

oh and as far as being cool sorry you actually even more geeky than you were before you made the watch buts that's ok cause we're all geeky too
    Last edited by yermano; August 4th, 2010 at 18:22.
    Chachy likes this.

Thanks. Since the photo I've changed the band to a black leather without stitching, which I feel works much better. Even more minimalist.

The font used for my name is Bank Gothic. The font used on the numbers is Huxley Vertical with just a bit of a stretch.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information