Please, rate my watch project Contempus!

Thread: Please, rate my watch project Contempus!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please, rate my watch project Contempus!

Hi, everyone. My name is George. I and my team are working on the watch called Contempus. It's about timepieces which are inspired by contemporary design and architecture objects from all over the world. It's totally a designer object, influenced by this discipline and glorifying it. I've finished studying design recently myself, so it's a kind of field experience for me. There are two models with depth in a dial's design - one is more smooth, and another is more edgy. Hands are concave and follow dials' shape. There are two options - with one and two hands? We're going to launch a KS campaign in future. Could you give your opinion on the watch, please? Do you like it or not? Is this project worthy?

Here are some pics and more on imgur gallery page: imgur.com/a/N9imf

Name:  2 (2).jpg
Views: 108
Size:  265.8 KBName:  angle-(2).jpg
Views: 111
Size:  767.6 KB

Re: Please, rate my watch project Contempus!

I like the thin design. Is this going to be quartz or automatic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hotter than a cheap White Pilot LE!

Remove the numbers. Why have 60 seconds but no sweep seconds hand?
    Last edited by yankeexpress; 5 Days Ago at 05:39.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    Why have 60 seconds but no sweep seconds hand?
    For the benefit of the minute hand. Those are 5 minute numbers, to compensate for the smaller marks being for the hour hand only i.e. marked for the quarter hours. But then I don't understand why the half-hours are more prominent than the hours. In fact, by extending the half-hour marks all the way to the minute track, they take on the appearance of half-5-minute marks.

It took me a minute to figure out how this watch is supposed to work ...assuming I understood correctly. I think that it needs some work in order to be functional as well as stylish.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

I like the design. Looks modern. The lugs maybe are not that interesting. But in general it is really nice.

the dial has rather no optical depth ( it this wanted or taken as it is) and gives a nice smooth transition over the diameter! The case with the rather sharp edges interrupts the smooth " flow " immediataly
    afterwards smooth style starts again with the swing within the lugs.. It is just my opinion but it has a bit of a blend of two stacks of totally different cards perhaps you could try to give the case rim a bigger radius e.g. rather down to the top of the lugs ( short above).

FYI just discovered this brand in a Mall here in Shanghai. The design made think a lot of yours. Klasse 14. The watches re more a design-Arty objet rather than a serious timepiece (just my feeling from what I saw). I couldn't handle it o do not know how it feels. I just thought it might be interesting for you to see another design using some of the same characteristics.
    Good luck

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

About your design it is difficult for me to judge. It is clean.... Sorry cannot find other adjectives. Just from the photos it seem as a nice watch but something is not appealing for me. The characters seem to.me a bit big in relation to the rest.
    And just being curious... Have you chosen a movement to work with?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I think it would help us to understand your target market. Since you're posting on WatchUSeek, I assume you want the product to appeal to watch cognoscenti. We're likely to be a more fickle bunch than the general public, and often what we gravitate to is markedly different from what's popular outside this community. This is a very knowledgeable and responsive forum, though, so you'll have no shortage of opinions.
    Seiko SRP777||Citizen Nighthawk BJ7017-17W || Bulova Acutron II Snorkel 96B208 || Seiko 5 Diastar SSA285K1 || Bulova N6 Computron 229 || Bulova Frank Lloyd Wright 150 Annv. 96A197 || Casio Pro Trek PRG-270 ||Timex Dynabeat (vintage unknown) || mystery Bulova N5 Accutron || Wenger Sea Force Arctic Light edition || odds, ends

My quick take: The clean, understated case and dial emphasize the dished dial and the unconventional hands, which is good. I like the inclusion of numbers (I might be in the minority); I think the watch would look too plain without them. I don't care for the absence of the seconds hand. I imagine this is intended to have a quartz movement (given the lack of a seconds hand, and the thin case thickness; a mechanical/automatic movement would be wasted here.) Intentions for the crystal (sapphire? Mineral? Acrylic?) What's the case diameter and lug width? You'll want to consider a common lug width that allows for a wide variety of replacement straps (ex. 18mm, 20mm, 22mm.)
    Seiko SRP777||Citizen Nighthawk BJ7017-17W || Bulova Acutron II Snorkel 96B208 || Seiko 5 Diastar SSA285K1 || Bulova N6 Computron 229 || Bulova Frank Lloyd Wright 150 Annv. 96A197 || Casio Pro Trek PRG-270 ||Timex Dynabeat (vintage unknown) || mystery Bulova N5 Accutron || Wenger Sea Force Arctic Light edition || odds, ends

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information