Antique Bifora watch any info on this model?

Thread: Antique Bifora watch any info on this model?

-->
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Antique Bifora watch any info on this model?

I had acquired a few months back at an antique mall a what I'm thinking is possibly a 1940s Bifora Military issue watch that was possibly used during WWII but am not sure as I don't have much info on the watch and I haven't found much information about the Bifora Watch Company except a brief little article that told about the history of the company and what all they made watch wise. If anyone on here can give me some additional Info on this watch I would be most happy. Also would like to know if it has any monetary value or whether it would be worth getting it repaired as its a 15-jewel watch and it was fully lumed at one point in time until it all wore out and has what I was told to be "military issue numbers" on the dial and takes the old one piece cloth wristbands that thread through the fixed lugs.
    Name:  DSCN1992.JPG
Views: 2887
Size:  38.2 KBName:  DSCN2011.JPG
Views: 2780
Size:  36.7 KB
    The movement says:
    Bifora
    15 Jewels D.R.G.M.
    Last edited by captainclock; January 30th, 2012 at 01:29.
    A joke a day keeps the Doctor away!

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Antique Bifora watch any info on this model?

Some info here: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Bifora-Uhrenfabrik, Joseph Bidlingmaier, Schwbisch Gmnd

You may also use our search function,t here are some threads regarding Bifora, especially about the Bifora 115 and 120 movements.
    Movement might be a Bifora 2025, the first German wrist watch calibre with lever escapement. Fitted with a screw balance.
    If I am right with the movement the watch could not have been used in WWI. BTW: I doubt it has been officially issued for any military use.

Need to see a pic or check the Ranfft database: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements
    Kind regards
    Mike

I have taken a picture of the movement to the best of my abilities as my hands are kind of shaky so it makes taking pictures kind of hard especially when the cameras now a days require an extra steady hand for macro photography, so if the picture seems a little blurry that's why.
    Last edited by captainclock; January 30th, 2012 at 12:52.

Quote Originally Posted by captainclock View Post
    I have taken a picture of the movement to the best of my abilities as my hands are kind of shaky so it makes taking pictures kind of hard especially when the cameras now a days require an extra steady hand for macro photography, so if the picture seems a little blurry that's why. I shall post the picture of the movement next to the picture of the actual watch, which from what I'm seeing doesn't have very much info about the movement stamped on it and is of very simple design which to me (at least from my experience with watches this old) indicates that the watch is from the 1910s.
    Well, it looks very similar to the 2025

Name:  Bifora 2025.JPG
Views: 2769
Size:  128.3 KB
    Kind regards
    Mike

When you compare your photo and the pic here bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Bifora 2025 you can see that both are identical pics.
    The movement shown was introduced 1928 - ten years after the end of WWI,

Volker

Well that still doesn't rule out the possibility that it might of been used in WWII.

I have taken a picture of the movement to the best of my abilities as my hands are kind of shaky so it makes taking pictures kind of hard especially when the cameras now a days require an extra steady hand for macro photography, so if the picture seems a little blurry that's why. I shall post the picture of the movement next to the picture of the actual watch, which from what I'm seeing doesn't have very much info about the movement stamped on it and is of very simple design which to me (at least from my experience with watches this old) indicates that the watch is from the 1910s.
    Now that you have rewritten your post, to wonder if it's a WWII watch, instead of a WWI watch, you need to change this post too. Here you still say "that the watch is from the 1910s"

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoth View Post
    Now that you have rewritten your post, to wonder if it's a WWII watch, instead of a WWI watch, you need to change this post too. Here you still say "that the watch is from the 1910s"
    I've already changed it, I completely eliminated the second line altogether, so that it sounds neutral.

Well that still doesn't rule out the possibility that it might of been used in WWII.
    However we can rule out that this watch has been officially issued to any German military force. Those have been engraved with "DH" (Deutsches Heer) on the back.

KNIRIM (if you do not know him, please google) mentions on page 270, that Bidlingmeier produced some watches for military staff, however those watches are very rare, do feature another "Formwerk" (movement) and have been signed " KM BIDLINGMEIER ". In the past there have been some "Frankenwatches" on ebay selling as "KM Bidlingmeier".
    Kind regards
    Mike

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but the watch I have, I bought at an antique store for $3USD and when I first got it it was running and had the second hand but when I was trying to do some work on the watch I lost the second hand and also watch stopped running then as well for some reason. Also my watch isn't a "Frankenbully" its the real deal nothing has been altered on it. All I know is that the reason why I'm suspecting that it was possibly a Military use watch was because I read in another watch forum (not located in this website anywhere) that the type of numbering that was used on this watch was a universal military watch number font from the 1910s-1950s where the numbers are "outlined" and then left blank in the middle and then filled in with Radium infused paint (so they glow in the dark) and the same treatment was applied to the hands. That's all I know and that's why I am saying that I think it was a watch that might of been intended for military use. But of course with that in mind you could also assume that the watch was definitely meant to be used for the military but it might of just never seen action as maybe the watch was surplus that never actually got used by the Germans During WWII because maybe by the time this one rolled off the line and was about to be stamped for German Military use it might of been too late to issue it as such so then they just issued it as a civilian model instead.
    Last edited by captainclock; January 30th, 2012 at 13:47.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information