Damasko DA 36/37 movement grade
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Damasko DA 36/37 movement grade

-->
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Damasko DA 36/37 movement grade

Hi All!

First post here though I've been lurking around for a few weeks gobbling up all I can about mechanical watches. Thanks to this forum, I've learnt more about watches and their movements than I ever thought possible! :)

I've always loved mechanical movements and after a lot of research have decided that I'd really like to go in for a Damasko DA 36 or a DA 37. Still confused between the two, however I am leaning in favour of the DA 36... love that yellow second hand!

The reason I really like the Damasko is the simplicity of their design, the technology used in their cases and good water resistance and size. It has elements of the old Pilot watches of yore, yet has a contemporary look about them...and that yellow second hand adds a dash of colour making the dial pop!

With all that said, I was quite disappointed to learn that the newer DA 36's come with the standard versions of the ETA 2836-2 movements! I really feel that a watch of this quality and technological innovativeness deserves at least a Top grade movement!! ... especially considering that their earlier watches used Top grade movements and were less expensive at that time.

I also understand that using standard grade movements is probably not a matter of choice for Damasko as I've read about the situation with ETA movements closing the doors on German watch makers (??) However, there are still many watch brands out there at a similar price point that do provide and advertise their movements as Top grade, few also providing COSC certification! In-fact, DOXA on their page for their Ultraspeed Chrono advertises a drop in prices on ETA movements not seen since 2005!

Does this mean that the situation has changed off late and ETA movements are now available more easily?? Does anybody have the latest on which grade movement Damasko is currently using in the DA 36/37? ...or if it would be possible to order one specifically requesting for top grade movement?

All in all, I'd love to pull the trigger on a DA 36 provided I can get Top grade movement. That would make it a complete watch IMHO, both externally and internally!

The situation re ETA movement availability has not improved. I believe Damasko could put top grade movements in their watches, but would have to raise their price / cut their margins to do so. Your best option is to buy a used Damasko with a top grade movement if that's what you want. It's a good bet that the case will show virtually no wear, but the movement might need service depending on age and usage.

I own a DA36 with a standard grade movement. While I would prefer the top grade version, what you give up with a standard grade is pretty small and there is no one out there (AFAIK) with as good a case for similar money.

I don't know if it's still possible to source Top or COSC movements by themselves, but if so a competent watch maker could do the swap, though your watch might not be as appealing to collectors being non original.
    Owner of a bunch of cool watches.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Damasko DA 36/37 movement grade

Flick through here: Damasko DA36 ETA movement
    Kind regards
    Mike

Hi Will :)

Thank you for your reply!

I was under the impression that Damasko had to shift to standard grade movements due to availability issues and not due to cost concerns. They do not come across as a company who would cut corners to save costs...after all, they did use top grade movements while their watches were priced lower as compared to today! If cost is what has driven them to use standard grade movements, I feel it does not befit their brand image and reputation as a quality watch maker.

If its supply issues, then the question of raising the price/cutting margins for a Top grade movement (when available) does not arise as its already priced into what they charge for their watches., their past sales being proof of that.

If the cost of top grade movements has gone up and they are averse to passing the increase in cost to the end customer (I highly suspect this. I assume they prioritize quality over cost), they could cut the decorations and gilding out from their movements. After all their cases do not have a see through back! This way the savings in cost could go towards a higher quality top grade movement! I'm sure 99% of people would choose an undercoated top grade movement over a decorated standard grade movement... especially considering that the movement cannot be seen!

I hear you regarding the quality of the case. That's precisely why I feel a top grade movement in this watch is a must! I want the movement to be as long lasting as the case! Its not so much the time keeping superiority of the top grade movements that I'm after, its their longevity with the superior components.

I am open to going the used route. Does any body have any idea regarding as to when the standard grade movements started being used and what was the serial number on the DA 36/37's at that time??

Hi Mike :)

First off, I'd like to thank for your awesome reviews on Damasko watches! They were a big help in my decision making from the plethora of choices out there :)

I've been through that thread several times. I drool over that pic posted by 'rationaltime' every time I open that thread!! I want exactly THAT... "Adjusted to 5 positions"!!

BTW, he never came around to replying on what was the serial number of his watch! ... rationaltime... if your out there, your help would be really appreciated! ... your watch would be appreciated even more! lol!
    Last edited by watchnut18; February 5th, 2012 at 23:43.

Quote Originally Posted by watchnut18 View Post
    I hear you regarding the quality of the case. That's precisely why I feel a top grade movement in this watch is a must! I want the movement to be as long lasting as the case! Its not so much the time keeping superiority of the top grade movements that I'm after, its their longevity with the superior components.
    I seriously doubt that there is a difference in longevity between the various movement grades. Never heard about differing maintenance schedules or life expectancy.
    Last edited by Lencoth; February 6th, 2012 at 00:47.

Moderator German Watches Forum

Quote Originally Posted by watchnut18 View Post
    Hi Mike :)

First off, I'd like to thank for your awesome reviews on Damasko watches! They were a big help in my decision making from the plethora of choices out there :)

I've been through that thread several times. I drool over that pic posted by 'rationaltime' every time I open that thread!! I want exactly THAT... "Adjusted to 5 positions"!!

BTW, he never came around to replying on what was the serial number of his watch! ... rationaltime... if your out there, your help would be really appreciated! ... your watch would be appreciated even more! lol!
    Hello,

I am indeed "out there". That watch is serial number DA37.002x,
    That may not be very helpful in buying a watch.

Really, I suggest just buying the watch you like. Members have
    been giving all the Damasko watches good reports here. I think
    you don't need to be concerned about wearing out the movement.

Thanks,
    rationaltime

Their current movements are undecorated, and as I understand it, gilded movements are less expensive than Nickel plated because of the costs associated with chemical disposal. They have incablock shock protection and a micro-adjuster, but I doubt they have the same spring and balance as top and COSC movements (they might though).

It might be a sourcing problem, but I suspect cost since the price of ETA movements has gone up substantially in the last couple of years. Don't forget the DA36 and variants are Damasko's entry level model.

I can hardly wait for the H35 and A35 movement watches to become available. Can't imagine a better combination than a Damasko case with their super high performance movement.

Edit: picture added of 2836 in mine. Sorry about picture resolution. Can't post high Rez from this device. Here's a link to a better picture-
    2011 Damasko DA36 Review
    Last edited by Will_f; February 7th, 2012 at 22:22.
    Owner of a bunch of cool watches.

Hi,

I received my DA36 a week ago...before that I was in email contact with Nadja. She advised me that they are currently using Elabore movements. Hope that helps. Also, they change the rotor out. I chose to have my name engraved on the back, costs a pretty penny but worth it! Fit and finish of the case, case-back, crown and crystal is really something....
    watchnut18 likes this.

Anybody know what the number is of the last watch with a top movement? I haven't had the back off of my DA36 that's just under #200, but find myself looking forward to getting it serviced now so I can find out...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information