Design perfected: new UNO 24 NEO one-hand watches from Klaus Botta

Thread: Design perfected: new UNO 24 NEO one-hand watches from Klaus Botta

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture Design perfected: new UNO 24 NEO one-hand watches from Klaus Botta

Name:  UNO 24 NEO DOPPEL quer.jpg
Views: 4163
Size:  41.8 KB

The UNO 24 one-hand watch concept developed by Klaus Botta is still unique, as no other watch enables the 24 hours of a day to be grasped as intuitively. Thanks to its revolutionary display principle, the UNO 24 has repeatedly won internationally acclaimed design awards and has been included in the collections of design and architecture museums.

Is it in fact possible to improve upon a modern design classic like the UNO 24?

The creative team at Botta-Design took up the challenge and went back to the drawing board to thoroughly rethink the UNO 24 display principle. A whole host of new ideas emerged during a complex design process – concerning the hand, dial, scale and use of colour – though most of them were quickly rejected. Just a few designs showed potential and were approved for the next round of the process. Ultimately, only the two most convincing concepts endured. Klaus Botta calls the result the UNO 24 NEO.

Name:  UNO 24 NEO black.jpg
Views: 3754
Size:  32.0 KBName:  UNO 24 NEO white.jpg
Views: 3918
Size:  31.2 KB

The newly designed dial gives the UNO 24 NEO models an uncluttered, poised and high-precision feel. At the same time, the 15% longer hand makes optimal use of the dial’s diameter, allowing the time to be told with greater accuracy.

The 24-hour hand and the four quadrants in the light-coloured version are accentuated in a striking orange tone, which means that the dial orientation and hand position are immediately obvious.

The latest findings of perception research were applied when designing the dark-coloured version – it has been found that the human eye reacts with particular sensitivity to the colour green in low light conditions. The striking green quadrants therefore make it easy to tell the time even when there is little ambient light. This is also facilitated by the hand, which is made of finely brushed stainless steel. It absorbs the ambient light and reflects all of it back to the wearer.

Klaus Botta also has good news for those who prefer the conventional UNO 24 models – classic designs naturally remain part of the Botta-Design range long-term.

Technical specifications:
    Stainless steel housing, sapphire glass,
    RONDA 515 24H Swiss-made movement, waterproof to 3 bar, Ø 40 mm, total height 7.2 mm, visible height approx. 4.5 mm

Options
    · dark dial variant also available as Black Edition
    · leather strap, rubber strap, stainless steel link strap in same colour as housing

Special offer: until 30 November 2013, both versions of the UNO 24 NEO can be ordered at a special advance purchase price that includes a €50.00 discount (prices start at €298.00 rather than the normal €348.00). Shipping will begin in early December 2013. Plus, for a limited period, our customers will also receive an original Botta-Design leather strap completely free when placing an order in our shop.

Visit the Botta-Design website
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Hidden Content

Re: Design perfected: new UNO 24 NEO one-hand watches from Klaus Botta

Green looks great, but Blue would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Romers View Post
    The UNO 24 one-hand watch concept developed by Klaus Botta is still unique, as no other watch enables the 24 hours of a day to be grasped as intuitively.
    Beautiful watch (I have the original version), but the quoted claim is not true, because there are other 24 hour watches with a single hand, for example Yes (which are truly unique, because day and night are correctly represented on the dial).

Quote Originally Posted by Okapi001 View Post
    Beautiful watch (I have the original version), but the quoted claim is not true, because there are other 24 hour watches with a single hand, for example Yes (which are truly unique, because day and night are correctly represented on the dial).
    I think the claim is that their watch "is still unique, as no other watch enables the 24 hours of a day to be grasped as intuitively" rather than that's it's the only 24 hour single hand watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoth View Post
    I think the claim is that their watch "is still unique, as no other watch enables the 24 hours of a day to be grasped as intuitively" rather than that's it's the only 24 hour single hand watch.
    IMHO you can grasp that equally well with almost every 24 hour single hand watch (and better with Yes watches, because you can instantly see if it's day or night).

Quote Originally Posted by Okapi001 View Post
    IMHO you can grasp that equally well with almost every 24 hour single hand watch (and better with Yes watches, because you can instantly see if it's day or night).
    I was not familiar with the Yes brand, but have just looked at their website. Design-wise they're the antithesis of the Botta. They offer a lot more info, as Ana-Digi's can. But to me the Botta is more intuitively & I like their styling. The Yes is strictly form follows function & will never win a Red Dot award for design. But to each his own, of course.

Yes watches are definitely way more informative. But just like all watches like this that can tell you everything under the sun, they all have a cheesy fashion watch look to them. For a simple 24 hour watch, and one where you can actually see why it's a design award winner, the Botta is a great watch. If they came with a mechanical movement, I'd be more than happy to strap either Botta model to my wrist.

Would you be happy the shell out the extra Coin?

LH2

I've also got the original version. I think the slightly longer hand is a good idea. My main gripe with this watch, is that it's a bit small and tough to read at 40mm. Considering how many indices are on a 24 hour dial, I think a 42-43mm version would be ideal.
    Archimede | Damasko | Defakto | Glycine | Junghans | Laco | Limes | Oris | Sinn | Stowa | Tutima

Name:  IMG_3545a.jpg
Views: 3545
Size:  824.9 KB

I love the basic idea of the colour scheme on mine. However, it lacks contrast if the light isn't very bright, and it isn't helped by the flat, uncoated sapphire. The white-faced version didn't greatly appeal to me at the time but I think the new white/grey/orange looks good. The longer hand and larger dial is a real improvement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information