Glashutte Spezimatic
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Glashutte Spezimatic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Glashutte Spezimatic

I got this piece at a vintage clock and watch shop (aka "candy store") in Dresden. I'm still learning about the watch, which was made by GUB, Glashutte Uhrenbau ("Glashutte Watch Builder"). The Kaliber 74 was made from 1967 to 1980. A longtime Lange movement designer told me it was a very good movement design with slightly inferior parts to keep cost down. I trust her assessment. So far, it's been pretty accurate.

I used a butter knife to pop the back off. This thing must be new old stock cos the gasket is clean and intact and the movement is not degraded at all. Dial is fresh and so is the massively domed acrylic crystal. Winds nicely and has a great hypnotic, slow-beat tick. I had the shop owner swap the strap to a nice high quality brown pebbled leather, possibly Hirsch (it's German) which complements the watch nicely. I like having a cream dial and brown strap.

Enjoy the photos.

Movement. That spring clip on the rotor doesn't inspire confidence.

Pretty plain case back. Hey, it's from the old Eastern Bloc days!
    cajmrn likes this.

Re: Glashutte Spezimatic

Cool.

Love that cream dial

Not even time to kill

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Just a small correction. The correct name would have been VEB Glashütte Uhrenbetriebe GUB. VEB=Volkseigener Betrieb=publicly owned company. Common parlance: The GUB.

The caliber 74 (internally known as the 06-25) was a very famous one, the date version was the caliber 75 (GUB 06-26).

Both movements have been produced in masses from 1964 to 1979/1980, approximately 280 different models have been available.
    Cases have been produced in gold or chrome plated. 24 different cases are known within the whole model range.

The anual output of cal. 74/75 watches was about 260.000.

From 1964 to 1980 1.858.466 watches with cal. 75 have been delivered. In the same period 1.857.966 watches with ca. 74 and 6.526 ebauches have been sold.

in 2007 Glashütte Original launched a homage - the GO Sixties.

The GO Sixties goes back to another model of the cal. 74 line. If you want to know more, have a look into this post: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/basel-2007-glash%FCtte-original-senator-sixties-54407.html#post306152

You will find your watch back in an interesting book written by Wener Heinrich "Mechanische Armbanduhren aus Glashütte 1950 - 1980: Werke, Kaliber, Gehäuse", Callwey Editors, ISBN:978-3-7667-1719-1
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; June 18th, 2010 at 18:48.
    cajmrn likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Just a small correction. The correct name would have been VEB Glashütte Uhrenbetriebe GUB. VEB=Volkseigener Betrieb=publicly owned company. Common parlance: The GUB.

The caliber 74 (internally known as the 06-25) was a very famous one, the date version was the caliber 75 (GUB 06-26).

Both movements have been produced in masses from 1964 to 1979/1980, approximately 280 different models have been available.
    Cases have been produced in gold or chrome plated. 24 different cases are known within the whole model range.

The anual output of cal. 74/75 watches was about 260.000.

From 1964 to 1980 1.858.466 watches with cal. 75 have been delivered. In the same period 1.857.966 watches with ca. 74 and 6.526 ebauches have been sold.

in 2007 Glashütte Original launched a homage - the GO Sixties.

The GO Sixties goes back to another model of the cal. 74 line. If you want to know more, have a look into this post: http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=306152

You will find your watch back in an interesting book written by Wener Heinrich "Mechanische Armbanduhren aus Glashütte 1950 - 1980: Werke, Kaliber, Gehäuse", Callwey Editors, ISBN:978-3-7667-1719-1
    Thanks, Mike. All good info!

I'm so happy to get my Spezimatic back from the spa and just got a new leather strap for it too! I'll try to post a few better pics, but I was so excited and had to show you guys! =p

cajmrn likes this.

Nice one.
    Kind regards
    Mike

I found this exact model of the watch in my father's drawer. It's a bit beat up, broken off crown and a nasty scratch on acrylic glass. But after moving it around for a bit, it fired up with a much slower tick rate than i'm used to with my Seiko and Orient. I find it interesting because of the 26 rubies which is quite a lot more than regular 21 most are using these days.

Any idea how much would it cost to replace the crown and the glass?
    Quartz: Bulova Accutron II 96B213 | Casio Baby-G BGA-301-1AER | Casio G-Shock GW-M5610BC-1ER | Casio Futurist LA-201W-2A2 & LA-201W-1B | Citizen Titanium BM7170-53L | Phosphor Appear White MD013G | Seiko Spirit E-Ink SBPA001
    Mechanical: Orient M-Force Red Beast EL06001H | Orient Mako CEM65001B | Orient Mako XL CEM75004B |
    Seiko 5 SNXS77 | Baby GrandSeiko SARB035 | Sea-Gull M163S | Sea-Gull M182SK Red | Steinhart Ocean One Black Ceramic

Moderator German Watches Forum

Quote Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
    I found this exact model of the watch in my father's drawer. It's a bit beat up, broken off crown and a nasty scratch on acrylic glass. But after moving it around for a bit, it fired up with a much slower tick rate than i'm used to with my Seiko and Orient. I find it interesting because of the 26 rubies which is quite a lot more than regular 21 most are using these days.

Any idea how much would it cost to replace the crown and the glass?
    I don't know for sure, but I guess those might be inexpensive repairs
    in eastern Europe. Even in more expensive places a new crown and
    plastic crystal should be not bad.

Thanks,
    rationaltime

Beat rate is 18.000
    Kind regards
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information