Neuhaus, the unexpected WOW factor
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Ernie Romers
  • 1 Post By CM HUNTER
  • 1 Post By Ernie Romers
  • 1 Post By TomB

Thread: Neuhaus, the unexpected WOW factor

Neuhaus, the unexpected WOW factor

Manuel Neuhaus, the owner and designer of Neuhaus Inventing Timepieces asked me if I'd be interested to see and review his watches. I already knew the Neuhaus collection, but never handled it nor saw one in the flesh.

So yes, I told him I'd be interested, and he sent me two models:

The Janus Doublespeed

and the Janus Minimal

Now don't get me wrong, but when I opened the package and saw the two watches sit in their watch boxes, I felt "hmmm, what do we've got here". Seriously.

My first thought was that the Janus Doublespeed looked to be the more interesting watch of the two. The Janus Minimal looked a bit, well, minimal, boring maybe.

But boy, was I WRONG.

Although my first impressions weren't that exciting, that changed instantly when I put the watches on my wrist. It sure helped that Manuel put the gorgeous and comfortable (24 mm lug width) Milanaise band on them.

The first feedback came from my wife. She told me the watches looked stunning. And (like always...) she was right.

I started wearing both watches frequently and never regretted the decision to have them shipped over to me. Honestly, I experienced the unexpected WOW Factor!

Now let's get a closer look. First the Janus Doublespeed. Why "Doublespeed"? It's not that the movement runs faster, it's the one hand going round in only 6 hours instead of 12. This means that the owner needs a little to get used to reading the time. At first I thought this wasn't going to be easy, but I was wrong again. In fact you get used to it quite quickly. The only thing is that you will need to remember what tine of the day it is, morning, evening, night. There is no 24h indicator.

Do you know what time it is (picture was taken in the afternoon)?

Let me help you. The one hand is between 02 and 03 and the indices are "5 minutes". Which means that the hand is in the position between 20 and 25 minutes past 02. The accuracy of reading the time is more easy because Manuel made a 5 (thin indices) - 15 (thicker indices) - 30 (thicker and longer indices) - 45 minutes scale.

Manuel uses modified (6 hours go-around) ETA Unitas 6498 for his watches. Every single movement is disassembled, modified and put together again. Manuel believes that using a hand wound movement approves the dialogue between the watch and its owner. I tend to agree with him. It's great to wind and hear it wind every morning. Have a look at the gorgeous Unitas with Côte de Genève and blued screws:

Back to the front, and let's use the Minimal to explain the three openings just below the centre of the hands:

Those three "windows" show the movement of the movement. Because there is no second hand, it is the only indicator showing your watch is running. It goes from left to right, from white to black. I will add the video Manuel uploaded to YouTube back in 2011 to show it.

One last detail I'd like to pay attention to is the lacquered crown with the Neuhaus logo:

Beautifully done imo. But there is one thing I am concerned about and maybe also don't like that much. It's the rubber ring that sits around the crown as you can see below:

It already shows some "wear". Luckily the watch comes with a couple of spare rubber rings (both in white and black), but still, it is not what I would have expected from a watch with this quality (and price) level.

And that brings me to the price of the watches. Expect the unexpected. It's not cheap. The Janus Minimal on Milanaise band retails for EUR 1,588.23 (excluding 21% VAT and shipping) and the Janus Doublespeed for EUR 2,092.43 (excluding VAT and shipping).

But what you get is a watch that is different from all other watches. First of it is a watch with a WOW factor. A watch that was designed and build with love and passion. A quality piece. A watch that is limited to 99 pieces worldwide. I guess such a watch has its price.

Pros:
    1. limited to 99 pieces worldwide
    2. wow factor
    3. great movement
    4. comfortable bracelet

Cons:
    1. price
    2. rubber ring on crown

More information at www.neuhaus.com
    Last edited by Ernie Romers; July 16th, 2014 at 12:25.
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Hidden Content

Re: Neuhaus, the unexpected WOW factor

Outstanding. Never seen that concept before.

The size, price, and rubber crown ring is going to make it difficult for these to sell out. All of these things can be addressed, and hopefully will be if the brand sticks around.
    Last edited by CM HUNTER; July 16th, 2014 at 17:16.
    sduford likes this.

Classy-looking and intriguing timepieces. Thanks for the review & pics!
    "Congratulations - you now have a sound watch."

I love the concept of the double speed and the running seconds execution, but if it's been around three years and they still haven't been able to sell the 99 watches, then I think the market has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingpicasso View Post
    I love the concept of the double speed and the running seconds execution, but if it's been around three years and they still haven't been able to sell the 99 watches, then I think the market has spoken.
    Not necessarily, there is also the right exposure needed to sell watches. Maybe Neuhaus has been under the radar for this long and deserves to be on it?
    emptym likes this.
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Hidden Content

44mm x 10.7mm
    I agree that the rubber ring is a very poor idea.
    sduford likes this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomB View Post
    I agree that the rubber ring is a very poor idea.
    +1
    Kind regards
    Mike
    Hidden Content

I like both watches, I'm a fan of 'minimal' but still needs to be interesting at the same time which to me they are. its looks bigger than 44mm but I guess that's due to the size of the dial, it wears a lot bigger than it is. I like the strap but a nice black shiny leather one would look good too. The price seems fair to me, they are a very limited run so I guess you pay little more for that. Great movement, its what I have chosen for my project watch. I wish them luck :)

Thread Information