Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By LH2
  • 1 Post By Desert

Thread: Sinn 856 non-utc or Damasko DA-36

Sinn 856 non-utc or Damasko DA-36

I'm relatively new to watch collecting. I have only recently found WUS, and after months of reading posts, feel more ignorant about watches than ever. I am however, looking for that first watch to start off a nice quality collection. For said watch I am looking for something I can show friends 30 years from now and say "this is the watch that started it". After weeks, I now have it narrowed down to the two above mentioned watches, however, I am having a very difficult time deciding. I know these watches are different, and have just about memorized the technicals. What I'm looking for are opinions, subjective feelings, of which watch any of you would choose given the chance - especially from those of you that own these watches. Please take all into consideration - the price difference, the different movement and technical advancements, and also the customer service. I have researched these watches extensively, and read every post on here about the two. I planning to order one either from watchmann or watchbuys (please feel free to give feedback on these two - both seem top notch to me). Anyway thank you very much for your time. I look forward to much input and debate. Thanks WUS members!

LH2

Re: Sinn 856 non-utc or Damasko DA-36

I've purchased from both Watchmann & WatchBuys. I like Watchmann a bit better, but WatchBuys isn't bad. In terms of service *after* sale, I think advantage goes to Watchmann.

The price jump to the Sinn is significant, and I'm not sure if you're really getting roughly $500 "more watch"... Both boast 80,000 A/m anti-magnetic, hard cases that hold up well over the years, and clear / legible dials. As you know, the cases look nearly like twins. The Sinn gives you the copper sulphate capsule, but Damasko does not. You'd have to read up to decide whether you think this is important to you. Same with Sinn's dehumidification technology which fills the case with inert gas to prevent fogging and supposedly preserve lubrication longer.

Do you like the day/date of the Damasko? It's actually kind of nice IMO, and well done. I'm not crazy about the tilted 4:00 date of the 856. I love the tiny (not tilted) date of the 556 A / 656 but that's just me perhaps. Do you like the arabic numerals from 1-11 and triangle at 12, or the simpler dial of the Sinn with numerals only on the quarter dial?

Do you like the crosshairs and yellow seconds hand of the Damasko? It adds a little something to the dial that some folks love and others simply don't. The non-UTC Sinn is simpler in black and white and less likely to draw attention from non WIS.

I don't know if Sinn uses a top grade 2893 movement, but that's worth knowing. Damasko did use top grade movements at one time, but no longer do. I will say both of my Damaskos are very well regulated from the factory. One is running about +3 and the other +5 s/d.

I purchased my DA36 as my first nice automatic watch three years ago. At the time the 856 UTC did not grab me. If I were making the decision now, it would be tough because I like the non-UTC dial very much (except the slanted date), and I already own a DA36 (and DA35). If I had never owned the DA36, I'd likely still really want one. But now that I've had one a while, I think I'd be happy with the 856 non-UTC if the extra cost was not an issue.
    Last edited by LH2; March 11th, 2012 at 03:03.
    shuie likes this.
    Archimede | Damasko | Defakto | Glycine | Junghans | Laco | Limes | MeisterSinger | Oris | Sinn | Stowa | Tutima | Vostok

Sinn 856 non-utc or Damasko DA-36

I'm relatively new to watch collecting. I have only recently found WUS, and after months of reading posts, feel more ignorant about watches than ever. I am however, looking for that first watch to start off a nice quality collection. For said watch I am looking for something I can show friends 30 years from now and say "this is the watch that started it". After weeks, I now have it narrowed down to the two above mentioned watches, however, I am having a very difficult time deciding. I know these watches are different, and have just about memorized the technicals. What I'm looking for are opinions, subjective feelings, of which watch any of you would choose given the chance - especially from those of you that own these watches. Please take all into consideration - the price difference, the different movement and technical advancements, and also the customer service. I have researched these watches extensively, and read every post on here about the two. I planning to order one either from watchmann or watchbuys (please feel free to give feedback on these two - both seem top notch to me). Anyway thank you very much for your time. I look forward to much input and debate. Thanks WUS members!

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Different case hardening process (Damasko: ice-hardening - SINN: tegimenting , different movement (ETA 2836-2, ETA 2824-2, same family), different case producers (Damasko and SUG).

Regarding the hardening process the Damasko watches are clearly a bit ahead. The 856 is only tegimented (surface hardened), the Damasko watches are hardened through and through. The back of any Damasko is hardened too, the case back of the Sinn 856 is not, it is susceptible to scratches though.

Both watches feature an anti-magnetic inner cage, anti-magnetic to 80,000 A/m or 100 mT. The SINN 856 use a closed, magnetically soft case interior consisting of the dial, the movement holding ring and the case back to achieve this protection. No big difference though.

The magnetic field protection in combination with martensitic ice-hardened steel is patented by Damasko.

Name:  magnetfeld_eng.gif
Views: 1438
Size:  18.5 KB

Both are of high quality an both offer good value for the money. Go for the watch which is most appealing to you!
    Kind regards
    Mike

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Two threads merged. One thread should do the trick don't you think !?
    Kind regards
    Mike

Can only speak to the DA36, but it is far and away my favorite every day watch. Why?

The case really is tough. I've owned it since October 2011 and despite wearing it on construction projects, jamming it on steel cases, banging it on valves, knocking it on cast iron boilers, etc, it has absolutely no signs of wear except for some tiny marks on the crystal. I put on an aftermarket blasted steel bracelet that was torn up within two months, but the Damasko still looks new.

The quality of the machining is like no other watch I own. Look at it through a high power lupe and it's flawless.

It's very comfortable. For my wrist size (7", depending on the weather and time of day), it fits right behind my wrist bone and is barely noticeable. The factory strap is very high quality and comfortable (after a week break in).

It's a timeless design that will age well. The details of the seals, the crown and other elements that will ensure many years of life appeal to me. Also, the yellow hand keeps it from being boring. Legibility is outstanding. You can read it from 20 feet without a problem.

What don't I like?

No matching bracelet.
    Mediocre lume.
    Decent movement, but nothing special.
    Owner of a bunch of cool watches.

Thanks everyone for the insightful responses. Planning on going with the Sinn. The upgrade in movement (top graded 2982 vs standard 2836), and additional tech features, make it worth the increase in price. Thanks again for all the help!
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; March 14th, 2012 at 20:12.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    ...The back of any Damasko is hardened too, the case back of the Sinn 856 is not, it is susceptible to scratches though.

Go for the watch which is most appealing to you!
    (QUOTE ABOVE IS AN EXCERPT and is not the full quote)

I had to comment on this piece of information supplied by stuffler,mike.

It was one of the main considerations that lead me to choose the Damasko DA36 over a Sinn 856. If I was to be honest, I like the look of the Sinn 856 more than the Damasko DA36. I love the look of the 856 SUG the case. It looks like a subtle update of the classic Rolex Oyster and pilot watch cases, very European, but more modern and more high tech, while still owing to its classic roots. The Sinn 856 on the other hand offers high end watch technology ...But only watch technology, and 856 omits some finer details the DA36 does not!

The DA36 therefore appealls to me more on paper and this IMHO is the first and critical basis upon which a good watch should firstly be judged. I am not denying the 856 is a pure form follows function, high quality piece but so is the DA36. IMHO and based on the technology glossary I have read from Damasko's site, the DA36 on the other hand combines not only 'watch technology, including some acquired from Sinn, but additionally some serious and extreme engineering technology', (ala space shuttle bearings, high speed lathe and aircaraft bearing technologies) as far as materials, design and maufacture are concerned with the DA36. The DA36 also seems a more and very complete watch in its own right, in that it offers the essentials for the tool watch enthusiast, while covering the field with many, many smaller details as well.

If that were not enough, consider Damasko DA36 offers all this at half the price of the Sinn 856. This is not due to that fact that it is a lesser watch than the 856, but merely that it comes form a smaller manufacturer who spend more on making their watches than they do on marketing them. My monies on the Damasko DA36, literally...
    Last edited by Desert; July 19th, 2013 at 12:06.
    Ottovonn likes this.
    'I think therefore I am' (Rene Descartes`, 1644)
    Think he meant, 'You can do anything if you put your mind to it!'

I delve into the intricacies of horology, but the laymen
    just wills me to enunciate more clearly? I conclude in knowing he
    is genetically resistant, and that is why I come here!

Thread Information