Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Transcendent timepieces: NOMOS Glashütte Lux and Lambda

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Watchuseek Editor

Transcendent timepieces: NOMOS Glashütte Lux and Lambda

Name:  NOMOS Lambda Lux pair.jpg
Views: 4724
Size:  64.9 KB

NOMOS Glashütte is launching two new watches in October, in which both the attention to detail and the effort involved in production and watchmaking has been the focus of much attention. Lux and Lambda are the names of the two new hand-wound models “Made in Glashütte, Germany.” These two exquisite watches will be available in white gold.

Name:  NOMOS Lambda Rosegold 3D 07.jpg
Views: 6124
Size:  61.9 KB

The Lambda model also comes in rose gold—and with a dial that is silver-plated by granulation. The timepieces, which will be produced in very small numbers, combine Glashütte fine watchmaking with NOMOS characteristics and simply timeless design. NOMOS General Manager Uwe Ahrendt, 44: “We wanted to create works of watchmaking art, individual pieces which demonstrate what we can do. Watches that will stay beautiful over decades to come— and with a value that will continue to grow.”

Name:  NOMOS Lux Weissgold 3D 03.jpg
Views: 5405
Size:  75.6 KB
    The Lambda model is round, while Lux has a classic Tonneau shape. The light-coloured dials under the curved sapphire crystals are refined, understated and as fine as pencil drawings: the Lambda model is cream, while the Lux model comes in blue and off-white. The caliber
    side, which is visible in both cases through the generous back, is more refined than ever: featuring a swan neck fine adjustment, rhodium-plated three-quarter plate, edges angled and polished by hand, and fine sunbeam polishing, which is only to be found in this particular style at NOMOS Glashütte.

Name:  NOMOS Lambda Weissgold.jpg
Views: 4637
Size:  73.2 KB

As well as screwed gold chatons, a screw balance and hand-engraved balance cock that reads “Mit Liebe in Glashütte gefertigt” (lovingly produced in Glashütte).

Name:  NOMOS Lambda Rosegold crown.jpg
Views: 4250
Size:  60.1 KB

Name:  NOMOS Lambda Rosegold glass back 3D 02.jpg
Views: 3335
Size:  79.8 KB

The calibers at work within these flat watches are the fine hand-wound movements DUW 1001 (Lambda) and DUW 2002 (Lux). Constructed in-house in the NOMOS atelier, where they are also mounted and adjusted in six positions, equivalent to chronometer standards. DUW stands for “Deutsche Uhrenwerke NOMOS Glashütte”—a new name, with which the boutique watchmaking firm is presenting its credentials as a producer of in-house built movements to a wider audience. Thanks to the twin mainspring barrels, both DUW 1001 and DUW 2002 have a power reserve of 84 hours—in DUW 1001 this is shown sweeping across the dial, while Lux manages with only three hands.

Transcendent timepieces

Name:  NOMOS Lambda Rosegold clasp.jpg
Views: 2641
Size:  50.2 KB

The design of the watches has also been paid an exceptionally high degree of attention; a high quality team was engaged in the task over the course of three years. Designers led by Simon Husslein from the Zurich-based Studio Hannes Wettstein drafted the flat and wrist-flattering gold case, while Prof. Axel Kufus, Michael Paul and the team from the NOMOS design office Berlinerblau in Berlin drew up the fine dials, hands, and the cambered straps from fine Horween Genuine Shell Cordovan. The result: an elegance that does not have much to do with tradition, but all the same—or perhaps because of this—is classic, timeless.

Name:  NOMOS Lambda Rosegold glass back.jpg
Views: 4624
Size:  104.3 KB

The watchmaking company is therefore taking another significant step on its journey with these new watches. Since 1990, NOMOS has been building prize-winning timepieces in Glashütte, watches that have long been recognized as classics—namely Tangente, Tangomat, and Ahoi, Orion, Tetra, Ludwig, Zürich, and Club. Lux and Lambda with DUW 1001 and DUW 2002 are now emblematic of this progression, which took place over the course of many years: the quintessence of those already firm favorites. Uwe Ahrendt explains this development: “Our watches until now have been from seventh heaven; Lux and Lambda are simply being produced a cloud higher. NOMOS Glashütte was ready for this.”

Visit the NOMOS Glashütte website

Re: Transcendent timepieces: NOMOS Glashütte Lux and Lambda

wow. I like the Lambda gangreserve. Any news about price? It says launch is in October--- is that the same as availability? 2013 or 2014..
    Last edited by mark1958; October 25th, 2013 at 02:21.

Banned

I continue to be perplexed by these threads. So does Michael West feel these are 'transcendent' or does Nomos marketing dept claim that they are? Should someone PM Emerson and Thoreau and get their thoughts? I wonder if ALS and GO might concede that these may indeed be considered transcendent for Nomos, but not so much for saxon timepieces as a whole. Datograph up/down -- now that has me sensing a higher power.

WOW!

The Lambda in rose gold is really nice. I usually would not wear a rose gold watch, but this one is a beauty!

Mein. Got.

I Need that Lambda in WG!!!
    Außerordentliche übel erfordern außerordentliche Mittel.

Rolex - Jaeger LeCoultre - Nomos - v. Seiko - Burberry

Doesn't quite do it for me. I'm a huge Nomos fan, having owned 5 of their current models with the Ludwig still with me but these two offerings leave me less than totally fulfilled. Not quite sure why or specifically what, but I don't believe I will be drawn (thankfully ). No question as to quality, fit and finish and that beautiful movement but . . . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Blancpain * Cartier * International Watch Company * Invicta * Jaeger LeCoultre * ochs und junior * Rolex * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Simply stunning.

This Lambda is the first NOMOS I like.

Both are fantastic pieces. These type of offerings is what Nomos needs to focus on... a more concentrated approach to a model and not a "let's just take an existing model and go a totally different route with it just for the sake of making something new" approach like with the Ahoi.

The Lux is a very elegant model with a classic Tonneau shape and the one that draws my attention the most. Thanks for the post.
    Last edited by CM HUNTER; October 25th, 2013 at 04:56.

Moderator German Watches Forum

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
    I continue to be perplexed by these threads. So does Michael West feel these are 'transcendent' or does Nomos marketing dept claim that they are? Should someone PM Emerson and Thoreau and get their thoughts? I wonder if ALS and GO might concede that these may indeed be considered transcendent for Nomos, but not so much for saxon timepieces as a whole. Datograph up/down -- now that has me sensing a higher power.
    Essentially all the watch manufacturers want to move up market.
    The NOMOS Lambda at €12800 and the Lux at €14800 transcend the
    limits of the traditional NOMOS product line and perhaps the limits of
    your credit card.

Even if these watches transcend my aspirations, it is fun to look.
    That doesn't cost much.

Thanks,
    rationaltime
    drhr, AAMC, eliz and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information