"EMU watch" from NASA's flight crew equipment manual
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: "EMU watch" from NASA's flight crew equipment manual

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"EMU watch" from NASA's flight crew equipment manual

Scanned these pages at work about 20 years ago and found them again recently. This is from one of the equipment manuals for flight crew equipment. So if you want to be really, really accurate, you need a nomex glove with your Speedy strapped to the outside of it. :)

Name:  EMU watch 1.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  68.6 KB

Name:  EMU watch 2.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  77.8 KB

Happy Speedy Tuesday!

Re: "EMU watch" from NASA's flight crew equipment manual

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    So many watches, so little time...

Hidden Content

Interesting timing bringing up this EMU glove. It was a hot topic a few weeks ago when I shared some research on answering the question"Do US astronauts still use the Speedmaster during EVA's"

After quite a bit of research and looking at hundreds of images I concluded that Russian cosmonauts continue to wear the Speedmaster during EVA's but not the Americans. After a bit of back and forth this glove came up as the reason I was not seeing any watches on the American astronauts. I had thought about this glove during my search looking for it as well but concluded that it was not used since I could not find any images of a glove resembling the EMU glove with the flap that would be covering the watch. When I got in contact with the ILC historian he could not confirm if the glove was used either. Finally, I had to pull the astronaut card and contacted an astronaut that conducted two EVA's on Expedition 40/41 and he told me is one simple sentence this "US no longer wears them outside. The Russians still do. I wore it on my Sokol suit for ascent and entry."

To the best of my research the last time I can identify a Speedmaster on the wrist of a US astronaut was on Ed Gibson during Skylab 3 in February, 1974.

Below was the only image I could find, post Skylab, showing astronaut Michael L. Gernhardt during STS-69 wearing a Speedmaster during his EVA. I thought I had finally answered my question and found proof of its use so I went to find the original NASA image to look at it closer. You can imagine my surprise when I found it. The Speedmaster had been Photoshopped onto the wrist for the advertisement. Below you can see the ad followed by the original image used in the ad.

I guess the lesson of the story is don't believe everything Omega tells you.
    Last edited by flyinghell34; 4 Weeks Ago at 18:10.
    Track Rat, umarrajs, duc and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flyinghell34 View Post
    Interesting timing bringing up this EMU glove. It was a hot topic a few weeks ago when I shared some research on answering the question"Do US astronauts still use the Speedmaster during EVA's"

After quite a bit of research and looking at hundreds of images I concluded that Russian cosmonauts continue to wear the Speedmaster during EVA's but not the Americans. After a bit of back and forth this glove came up as the reason I was not seeing any watches on the American astronauts. I had thought about this glove during my search looking for it as well but concluded that it was not used since I could not find any images of a glove resembling the EMU glove with the flap that would be covering the watch. When I got in contact with the ILC historian he could not confirm if the glove was used either. Finally, I had to pull the astronaut card and contacted an astronaut that conducted two EVA's on Expedition 40/41 and he told me is one simple sentence this "US no longer wears them outside. The Russians still do. I wore it on my Sokol suit for ascent and entry."

To the best of my research the last time I can identify a Speedmaster on the wrist of a US astronaut was on Ed Gibson during Skylab 3 in February, 1974.

Below was the only image I could find, post Skylab, showing astronaut Michael L. Gernhardt during STS-69 wearing a Speedmaster during his EVA. I thought I had finally answered my question and found proof of its use so I went find the original NASA image to look at it closer. You can imagine my surprise when I found it. The Speedmaster had been Photoshopped onto the wrist for the advertisement. Below you can see the ad followed by the original image used in the ad.

I guess the lesson of the story is don't believe everything Omega tells you.
    Haha! That's hilarious! Great work, FH. I suspect (and it's only my hunch) that Omega pays the Russians to use the watch (much like I suspect Fortis and others did). The Russians embraced capitalism fully. :)

Fascinating stuff! I don't know about anyone else, but I'm requesting the left EMU glove for my Speedmaster.
    flyinghell34, rfortson and duc like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    Haha! That's hilarious! Great work, FH. I suspect (and it's only my hunch) that Omega pays the Russians to use the watch (much like I suspect Fortis and others did). The Russians embraced capitalism fully. :)
    You suspect correctly. It is my understanding that there is currently a contract between Omega and Roscosmos to have the cosmonauts photographed wearing the Speedmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Horoticus View Post
    Fascinating stuff! I don't know about anyone else, but I'm requesting the left EMU glove for my Speedmaster.
    Good luck with that;)
    rfortson likes this.

One additional comment on the ad with the Photoshopped Speedmaster. You would think with all of the hundreds of images out there of astronauts wearing the Speedmaster this would not have needed to be done.
    rfortson and Horoticus like this.

Has anyone ever tried to put a Speedmaster in a vacuum to chamber to see if the crystal pops off?

If not, does anyone want to loan me their Speedmaster?

Awesome story and Great detective work. This just reminded me that a few years ago I bought a bunch of large format photographs of early Apollo flights off a lady who's family was apparently high up in Omega. She said they were given the images by Nasa. Now I want to go dig through the photo's and see if I can find a watch on one of the wrists of the astronauts. I will post if I find anything.
    Monti

Just found them Hard to see the watch Black gloves

Name:  image1.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  86.1 KBName:  image1 (2).JPG
Views: 67
Size:  131.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Monti; 4 Weeks Ago at 21:20.
    flyinghell34 and rfortson like this.

Sorry for the upside down extra pics, tried to remove but couldn't figure it out. Newbie :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information