Damasko going to the dogs! - Page 3
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Damasko going to the dogs!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    "A solution for the pins". What are you talking about??

Re: Damasko going to the dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    A few questions to see if it helps:

Do you know how many watches Damasko produces/sells each year?
    Do you know the ratio of used Damaskos for sale / new ones produced?
    Do you know that figure for many other brands too?

Unless you do know all of this, there is a chance you are noticing lots of used Damaskos for sale because you have been paying attention , but it might not be any more than for other brands.
    You'd be hard-pressed to find out accurate answers to these questions regarding many brands given how secretive the watch industry is in general. I, for one, have not seen the answers to these questions relating to Damasko, and I wonder if Damasko would be willing to answer such questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Acres View Post
    "A solution for the pins". What are you talking about??
    He mentioned his issue regarding the "pins" that Damasko uses in the OP:

Quote Originally Posted by STK1200S View Post
    Through months of research & many reasons some rational & some not so im leaning heavily towards the Damasko, specifically the DA38 / 44 or 46 on bracket even though perplexingly the weakest part of the Damasko bracelet by country mile is a 5 Cents pin securing it to the watch. Ive been dreaming about doing a custom torx screw setup securing the bracelet to the watch similar to the bracelet links screws!
    Last edited by Vig2000; 3 Days Ago at 19:53.

Quote Originally Posted by elbilo View Post
    For the sake of simplicity, I'll place Damasko owners (perhaps watch enthusiasts in general) into two camps: alphas and betas. The alphas appreciate the watch/brand for what it offers (based on design, tech, value, etc.) and thoughtfully purchase with the intent to keep it. The betas will purchase a watch based on the fanfare, as they want to see what the hype is about and may or may not develop an appreciation. Often, such enthusiasts will purchase a used watch, so they can resell for little to no loss if they don't connect with it. I have seen some Damaskos for sale by 2nd and 3rd owners. In this instance, that 1 watch makes it look like there were 2-3 for sale over a period of time. Also, you don't always know the motivation for selling. Some choose to sell a watch they love to fund a greater necessity. You already acknowledged that Damaskos hold their value well, which to me, says more about the watch than the number of sales listings. I would be more concerned if used models were sold at a greater loss than they currently are.
    An interesting argument, but falls completely apart when you replace "Damasko" with just about any other brand, where the points all generally hold true for them as well--all of us, I think, buy to keep, but, as noted, some of us are more easily distracted than others, and may flip them in the continuing search for the perfect one(s).

My own take on Damasko in the aftermarket is that there are in fact very few--I check several markets daily for a few different watches (Rolex, IWC, Ball, Oris, Damasko...). By far, the least represented in the secondary sales market is Damasko--less than a handful used on the bay at any given time, and less than a dozen on Watch Recon, most of which have been posted and reposted many times (while almost all the other brands I listed have far more). So, no, I don't think Damasko is going to the dogs any time soon...
    Quarter to Four...
    BALL FIREMAN First Generation
    DAMASKO DA36
    ORIS TT1
    PANERAI 051

I assume you are referring to the springbars that Damasko uses.... that are just like the springbars that nearly every watch brand uses without fail. Though, if I recall correctly, Damasko has started to use a new springbar that separates into two pieces when removed. I think there is a thread somewhere about them.

If you are concerned about the security of the watch and feel that a regular springbar will fail, you can buy shoulderless springbars that will run the length of the lug hole which makes it very secure. I use them in all of my watches that have lug holes. If something happens that breaks the shoulderless springbar, you may have bigger things to worry about than your watch.
    tommy_boy likes this.

The OP's title for this thread is deceiving. So far I've been extremely pleased with my Damasko, the spring bars have not failed, and it is not for sale.
    powerband and elliswyatt like this.
    -- I own watches starting with the letters B, C, D, H, I, L, M, O, R, S, T, and V --
    "
    The two most powerful warriors are Time and Patience." -Leo Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    An interesting argument, but falls completely apart when you replace "Damasko" with just about any other brand, where the points all generally hold true for them as well
    Which is exactly why I wrote "perhaps watch enthusiasts in general". My intention wasn't to imply this is exclusively for Damasko. I focused on Damasko since it's the subject of the thread.
    Last edited by elbilo; 22 Hours Ago at 19:36.
    ~ Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Vig2000 View Post
    You'd be hard-pressed to find out accurate answers to these questions regarding many brands given how secretive the watch industry is in general. I, for one, have not seen the answers to these questions relating to Damasko, and I wonder if Damasko would be willing to answer such questions.
    I'm sure you're right, but without that kind of information there's no way to assess whether they are sold on the secondary market any more often than any other brand.
    Brad
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

I hope your wrong with your watch purchase assessment but i have a feeiling your not. A huge plus for the Damasko is that its German so unless Damasko or another German compony comes out with a Damasko on steroids im not budging i hope! I dont care for Damasko coatings or the generic strap / bracelet link pins. Im already trying to think of ways to give the Damasko a brushed or even a polished finnish & work out a solution for the pins. Its perplexing how & why Damasko over engineered everything except the pins!
    Good luck with this, what are you going to use, a diamond file?

I looked on that page you linked to, this http://www.mywatchmart.com/listing/2...a44-wbracelet/ will be gone pretty quickly I reckon.
    Last edited by kit7; 3 Days Ago at 18:50. Reason: added link
    If the seat is wet sit on your hat, a cool head is better than a wet arse.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

I hope your wrong with your watch purchase assessment but i have a feeiling your not. A huge plus for the Damasko is that its German so unless Damasko or another German compony comes out with a Damasko on steroids im not budging i hope! I dont care for Damasko coatings or the generic strap / bracelet link pins. Im already trying to think of ways to give the Damasko a brushed or even a polished finnish & work out a solution for the pins. Its perplexing how & why Damasko over engineered everything except the pins!
    The pins, I prefer "spring bars", measure 1,8mm and the tops fitting the lug wholes are 0,9mm. Proved to be long-lasting withput failure.

The case in a transition phase is polished....

but not the final product.

Go for the DK 105 if you want it "polished".
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; 3 Days Ago at 19:49.
    Kind regards
    Mike
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by kit7 View Post
    Good luck with this, what are you going to use, a diamond file?

I looked on that page you linked to, this http://www.mywatchmart.com/listing/2...a44-wbracelet/ will be gone pretty quickly I reckon.
    Thank you for the heads up:) Regarding the watch finnish i hear you brother but if wear or rub marks have been reported i think i can do some damage with a polishing wheel & different grades of rouge. All i can do is play it by ear, do my best & report my findings:)
    kit7 likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information