Damasko going to the dogs!
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Damasko going to the dogs!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Question Damasko going to the dogs!

Gents, ive been an avid watch enthusiast since I was 11 years old when my father gave me his Felka Airmaster 27 jewels Auto. I loved that watch, sent it in for service several times spending more each time that the watch was worth, same thing with crocodile bands etc... until sadly it was stolen from me about 15 years ago by someone who must have thought they've scored a solid gold grail timepiece of sorts!

At any rate, that watch started me on a 30+ year journey culminatingin a 15 watch collection at Its hight & again i managed to loose them all except for a random 4! 2 IWCs & 2 Ventura watches " the Swiss variety". I love them all but dont wear them at all! Maybe 2x a piece just to admire them & put them back in the box! i spent months & sometimes years researching each watch until i pulled the trigger.

Ive Allways had an affinity for Fligers hence one of the IWCs. A Doppel Ref 3713 but cannot bear to wear that watch on a daily basis. So ive decided to buy an end all be all watch and be done with it. I initially narrowed my choices down to Stowa, Sinn, fortis & Damasko. Through months of research & many reasons some rational & some not so im leaning heavily towards the Damasko, specifically the DA38 / 44 or 46 on bracket even though perplexingly the weakest part of the Damasko bracelet by country mile is a 5 Cents pin securing it to the watch. Ive been dreaming about doing a custom torx screw setup securing the bracelet to the watch similar to the bracelet links screws!

The only reason ive hesitated pulling the trigger is the ungodly large quantity of Damasko watches specifically the models im interested in on the pre-owned market. They hold their prices very well but nevertheless im bothered by this! In layman's terms I can't help thinking that if these watches are that good why are there a disproportionate large number on the pre-owned market. I cant figure it out & humbly am soliciting your opinions & council!?

Re: Damasko going to the dogs!

A few questions to see if it helps:

Do you know how many watches Damasko produces/sells each year?
    Do you know the ratio of used Damaskos for sale / new ones produced?
    Do you know that figure for many other brands too?

Unless you do know all of this, there is a chance you are noticing lots of used Damaskos for sale because you have been paying attention , but it might not be any more than for other brands.
    Brad
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

I've read Mike's post here stating that Damasko produced as much as 1500 watches per year. Not a lot imo. That was a couple of year ago, I guess it is save to say that they may produce up to 2000 watches annually today, the majority of that number goes to their ETA models for sure, including their DA series.

OP, if you're looking for a watch to end it all (if it's even possible), consider to get the in-house model. They are obviously a lot less often found circulating in the second watch market. With all the tech Damasko put at it, I believe it would stand up well against your IWC in the collection.

Not sure about modding it to have torx lug holes though. The lugs on Damasko watches are pretty narrow, you may actually weaken the overall construction by doing so.
    Last edited by wtma; June 18th, 2017 at 10:05.
    1MWF / CASIO / CITIZEN / DAMASKO / FOSSIL / GLYCINE / GRUPPO GAMMA / MARATAC / ORIENT / POLJOT / RAKETA / SEAGULL / SEIKO / SINN / STEINHART / STURMANSKIE / SWATCH / TIMEX / VICTORINOX / VOSTOK

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Perception is a weird thing.
    You are talking of an "ungodly large quantity" of Damasko watches on the pre-owned market. In the home country of Damasko you will hardly find any pre-owned Damasko watches on ebay.de. Even on chrono24.com there aren't that much offered.
    There's no disproportional large number of pre-owned Damasko watches, it is just your perception. Most Damasko owners I know keep their watch. Of course there are always flippers. Anyway, if you are bothered stay away and miss put on a beautiful time piece and true german engineering.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 603
Size:  235.1 KB

Get a Sinn. Wait, no, don't, pre-owned Sinn are available in ungodly large quantities, especially 103, 556, U1.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; June 18th, 2017 at 11:02.
    Kind regards
    Mike
    Hidden Content

Thank you very much for the replies. I realise now that my decision to post in the Damasco section was the right one. A lot of valid points that i hadn't previously considered. The "end all be all" comment was my attempt to convey that im done collecting watches. It dosnt do it for me any more for lack of a better phrase. Im getting old & clumsy, bumping into things etc.. hence one reason that im siding with Damasko. I always believed that wear and tear etc..give a watch like a flieger enormous character but delaying it can also be a good thing.

I apologize if ive offended anyone with my initial post & hope no one takes it that way. Truth be told i would personally like to give a good ol fashioned tenderizing to anyone who talked down to any of my watches as the height of my collecting passion.

Ive always been under the impression that Damasko made limited quantities for what i understand to be world wide but again 80% + of the Damasko's i see on the pre owned market are in the US, UK, Germany. Dont know what to make of that. I dont have any hard facts or #s to back up any of my statements regarding Damasko,, just what ive seen & interpreted to the best of my ability.

After opening up this pagehttp://www.mywatchmart.com/damasko/
    I threw my arms up in the air and decided to post up. I understand that some of d thoes watches are sold and they're a collection of Damaskos from popular watch sites mostly but still its a surprise for me.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Well, "new this week: 1071 New today: 135" does not relate to Damasko only. From March 7 until today there are about 50 Damasko, some are new (robattopper), one is a WTB. Roughly about 13 per month. That's quite a normal figure isn't it ?!
    Kind regards
    Mike
    Hidden Content

I think the quantity of Damasko that you see for sale may be slightly warped by the above point - you are looking for Damasko, and thus seeing them.

As has also been stated, there aren't that many on the second-hand market (chrono24, eBay). There may be some on the forums, however, I believe this is testament to the quality of the watch - we are a very small community, yet many on the forum purchase Damasko. They have a good reputation and make great watches, hence enthusiast interest in the brand, and hence them appearing on these forums.

The other potential reason you see them for sale on forums like this is that, relatively speaking, they are 'entry level' to high-end, well-made sports watches. People on these forums who purchase micro-brands may hold a Damasko as a stepping stone into Oris Aquis then Omega Seamaster, Rolex Submariner, etc. This, again, is testament to their quality - I don't think seeing these collectors on-selling their watches as contrary to the quality of the piece - it's just a feature of the nature of collectors in the community developing and flipping

I have owned 5 Damaskos (DA36, DA37, DA47, DC57 and DC66). All were bought pre owned and I wouldn't say any of them were particularly easy to come by. The only one I still have is the DC57 which I would not part with. That took around 2+ years of waiting for one to come up. Note, not the right one just any one for sale on the used market. From my experience I can definitely see that most people seem to keep hold of their Damaskos once they find the right one/s for them.

For the sake of simplicity, I'll place Damasko owners (perhaps watch enthusiasts in general) into two camps: alphas and betas. The alphas appreciate the watch/brand for what it offers (based on design, tech, value, etc.) and thoughtfully purchase with the intent to keep it. The betas will purchase a watch based on the fanfare, as they want to see what the hype is about and may or may not develop an appreciation. Often, such enthusiasts will purchase a used watch, so they can resell for little to no loss if they don't connect with it. I have seen some Damaskos for sale by 2nd and 3rd owners. In this instance, that 1 watch makes it look like there were 2-3 for sale over a period of time. Also, you don't always know the motivation for selling. Some choose to sell a watch they love to fund a greater necessity. You already acknowledged that Damaskos hold their value well, which to me, says more about the watch than the number of sales listings. I would be more concerned if used models were sold at a greater loss than they currently are.
    Last edited by elbilo; June 18th, 2017 at 15:41.
    ~ Eric

The absolute number of Damasko watches on the preowned market pails in comparison to the number of Omegas or Rolexes. And, though I have no proof, I'd imagine it's also proportionately fewer. You're probably exploring sales platforms where many people are flippers in order to obtain other watches (or things) and not because there's something wrong with their Damasko watches.
    Last edited by powerband; June 18th, 2017 at 15:56.
    Ticking Away the Moments that Make Up a Dull Day

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information