Scratching a Damasko - Page 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Scratching a Damasko

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Scratching a Damasko

Quote Originally Posted by Ventenberry View Post
    Damasko has some interesting technological features but the one thing that sets them apart is the ice hardening process. If Damasko didn't use ice hardening, I doubt I would be as interested in their watches as what I currently am. While not everyone shares my concerns I'm confident a large contingency does.
    Agreed, it was a major factor in my buying one. The great toolish design, killer bracelet, rarity and technical goodies didn't hurt either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    stuffler,mike likes this.
    Whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

Unscratchable? Good luck with that. I think even diamonds can be scratched. Is it possible to rub some of the bead blast to a slight polish?--probably.

I have a DA36 and ZERO scratches. I find that it makes my top 4 or 5 watches in rotation and have been wearing it solely for the past week.
    -- I own watches starting with the letters B, C, D, H, I, L, M, O, R, S, T, and V --
    "
    If time be of all things the most precious, wasting time must be the greatest prodigality" -Ben Franklin

If you want a pretty scratch proof case with a brushed finish, look at Bremont. They are a lot more money, but the cases are very hard. I've had one for nearly 3 years, not a scratch and it's been banged up on the job.

Quote Originally Posted by freight dog View Post
    If you want a pretty scratch proof case with a brushed finish, look at Bremont. They are a lot more money, but the cases are very hard. I've had one for nearly 3 years, not a scratch and it's been banged up on the job.

Bremont are industry standard, with 316L stainless cases. The barrels are coated in DLC, which is also industry standard. To say they are more money is an understatement, and the comparison, for me, leans considerably if favor of Damasko. But Bremont are their own company and they make some nice looking watches.
    Last edited by Psalty; August 12th, 2017 at 21:00.
    Gregory

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Based on the info available Bremont is kolsterizing some cases, then plasma spray coating. Since this is done in England, they are probably using Poeton Apticote 800/24. This is a tungsten carbide and cobalt coating applied with an argon plasma torch. That gives surface hardness of about 2000HV, and is used on jet turbine blades. Poeton does work for Airbus and Rolls Royce.
    Kind regards
    Mike
    Hidden Content

That is more detail than I have, Mike. But still, it is a standard 316L core. Right?
    Gregory

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    In the real world in which we live, I doubt you will find a watch that is more scratch resistant than the Damasko, or some of the Sinns. I have owned many watches, more than 100, and while all watches, of all brands, scratch over time, I have rarely (never?) seen scratches of any form on any of the dozen or so Damaskos that I have owned, on the cases, though of course several have had visible marks on their external AR coating on the crystals--but that's a different matter.
    For extreme scratch resistance, Rado watches come to mind, with their tungsten carbide and ceramic cases (Tungsten carbide and certain ceramics are harder than sapphire, though I don't know which particular types go into Rado cases). Obviously such hardness comes with the usual associated drawbacks as well.

Damasko's through-hardening feels to me an eminently practical solution for a good compromise between hardness, toughness, and corrosion resistance, without getting into more exotic materials. Every material will have its advantages as disadvantages, so take your pick depending on the kind of (ab)use the watch will take. :)
    whineboy, Vig2000 and kit7 like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information