Scratching a Damasko
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Scratching a Damasko

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Scratching a Damasko

Lately I've been obsessed with trying to find the ultimate "unscratchable" tool watch. Anyway, I thought it was interesting that Damasko has a bead blast finish to their cases and bracelets. While extremely durable, it does appear the bead blast finish can be polished off by say perhaps two ice hardened bracelet links rubbing against each other. The underlying finish was not damaged but nonetheless it did leave a polished area where the pieces rubbed together.

From what I can see it seems a brushed ice hardened finished would be even more impervious to showing any type of wear because there is no bead blast to rub away, it's more of a finely finished surface. So, I'm wondering if Damakso has thought about producing non-bead blasted finishes and if they were to produce such a watch and bracelet would it really be more scratch resistant or look better over time than a bead blasted watch?

See the Damasko key ring video below for what I'm referring to when I say "brushed ice hardened finish."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioEts9vYSJM

Re: Scratching a Damasko

Damasko does produce non-bead blasted finishes with the discontinued DK101 and the upcoming DK105, albeit these are dressy options compared to your standard issue Damasko. You can, of course, always opt for a Damest coated Damasko, thereby eliminating the bead-blasting.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

...and there is the DK200 offering a mix of polished and bead-blasted case.
    Kind regards
    Mike
    Hidden Content

You might want to look into Sinn Watches that are made with German Submarine Steel that has been tegimented.
    Last edited by BourbonCity; August 10th, 2017 at 09:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventenberry View Post
    Lately I've been obsessed with trying to find the ultimate "unscratchable" tool watch. Anyway, I thought it was interesting that Damasko has a bead blast finish to their cases and bracelets. While extremely durable, it does appear the bead blast finish can be polished off by say perhaps two ice hardened bracelet links rubbing against each other. The underlying finish was not damaged but nonetheless it did leave a polished area where the pieces rubbed together.

From what I can see it seems a brushed ice hardened finished would be even more impervious to showing any type of wear because there is no bead blast to rub away, it's more of a finely finished surface. So, I'm wondering if Damakso has thought about producing non-bead blasted finishes and if they were to produce such a watch and bracelet would it really be more scratch resistant or look better over time than a bead blasted watch?

See the Damasko key ring video below for what I'm referring to when I say "brushed ice hardened finish."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioEts9vYSJM
    i thought the same thing so I asked Damasko if they would make me one and the answer was "no." I still think it would be more scratch resistant but I am betting there are other reasons they don't want to do it, like maybe the steel isn't so pretty after hardening so a bead blast is the easiest way to make it look good.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatScott View Post
    i thought the same thing so I asked Damasko if they would make me one and the answer was "no." I still think it would be more scratch resistant but I am betting there are other reasons they don't want to do it, like maybe the steel isn't so pretty after hardening so a bead blast is the easiest way to make it look good.
    Good point, that may very well be the main reason to bead blast, in particular the main lines of watches. And leave the shiny stuff for a few select gentleman type watches. Or it could be the dull gray finish is a marketing plus for Damasko and to switch to a more normal looking brushed finished would not distinguish their watches from other brands. Personally, I'm looking for the most scratch resistant surface and under the surface and if it's bead blasted, brushed or coated with Damest, whatever is best, that's what I'd like to have.

A scratch contest vs. other watches under controlled conditions would be quite an advertisement for Damasko.

In the real world in which we live, I doubt you will find a watch that is more scratch resistant than the Damasko, or some of the Sinns. I have owned many watches, more than 100, and while all watches, of all brands, scratch over time, I have rarely (never?) seen scratches of any form on any of the dozen or so Damaskos that I have owned, on the cases, though of course several have had visible marks on their external AR coating on the crystals--but that's a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    In the real world in which we live, I doubt you will find a watch that is more scratch resistant than the Damasko, or some of the Sinns. I have owned many watches, more than 100, and while all watches, of all brands, scratch over time, I have rarely (never?) seen scratches of any form on any of the dozen or so Damaskos that I have owned, on the cases, though of course several have had visible marks on their external AR coating on the crystals--but that's a different matter.
    I think you are trying to say that Damasko is currently doing the best of all the watch manufacturers in regards to scratch resistance. What I'm saying is I think they should show why they are better than anyone else. Now, that may not be realistic, cost wise, being sued by a competitor or other reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventenberry View Post
    I think you are trying to say that Damasko is currently doing the best of all the watch manufacturers in regards to scratch resistance. What I'm saying is I think they should show why they are better than anyone else. Now, that may not be realistic, cost wise, being sued by a competitor or other reasons.
    What you are saying is that you think the feature of scratch resistant is an extremely important feature--I don't think everyone shares your concern--they let their products speak for themselves on the one hand, BUT, they in fact draw considerable attention to the hardness of their cases--much more than most companies--I don't see a shortcoming in their advertising in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    What you are saying is that you think the feature of scratch resistant is an extremely important feature--I don't think everyone shares your concern--they let their products speak for themselves on the one hand, BUT, they in fact draw considerable attention to the hardness of their cases--much more than most companies--I don't see a shortcoming in their advertising in that regard.
    Damasko has some interesting technological features but the one thing that sets them apart is the ice hardening process. If Damasko didn't use ice hardening, I doubt I would be as interested in their watches as what I currently am. While not everyone shares my concerns I'm confident a large contingency does.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information