This Bulova meets specs
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: This Bulova meets specs

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

This Bulova meets specs

Since I have to do the DST thing I am going to jump the gun by 9 days and say that a Bulova model 98B210 is going to meet the 10 s/yr spec it is currently 6.8s fast after 357 days.

Measured using photography, remember with a sweeping hand I don't have to use burst to resolve .2s. Wear pattern was very little over the winter, maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks.

Numerous reviews on this model all over the web and I will just highlight what I and others have found.

Size at 47.5 mm and weight of 5oz is certainly not small but due to the shape of the lugs wears a little smaller. This along with the comfortable silicone strap gives a nice feel.

Finish of case brushed on top and polished on sides is well executed. Lume is pretty weak but the crown is 60 click unidirectional and solid. Readability of the skeleton hands is is okay under normal lighting, not so much in low light. But subdials are almost always clearly readable.

All subdials and second hand align perfectly, remember in chrono mode the second hand ticks like a traditional quartz, and it hits all the markers along the dial.

Been in the ocean and pool and WR seems okay, and rated at 200m.

As far as the sweeping second hand it is equal or superior to any mechanical 7750, 2824-2, or a Rolex I could put beside it. The only movement that appears a little smoother might be the B 01 from Breitling. But since the B01 is a subdial I don't know if it's a fair comparison. But it's definitely better than a 7750 subdial so I don't know.

The only items left will be battery life and aging, and I will update if anything of note occurs.

Cris had a list of reasons why you might buy one, I might add the unique or just dumb cool factor. Remember these are all just watches and there just aren't any other watches with technology like it. The 1/1000 dials sole function is essentially for a drinking game start stop reaction time test. The sweeping second hand looks cool to most folks and becomes a test if you can see 1/16th of a second. If you're a traditionalist this may be irrelevant but to me and others there's always room for cool and hopefully accuracy.

If anyone has a current Bulova meeting spec, or not, feel free to add to this thread.

Not going to post any pics, I've posted plenty on this watch on various threads.
    Phil G and how2collect like this.

Re: This Bulova meets specs

Hi, nice report! But sorry, as that movement is not TCXO nor journey'd by Siberian wolves from the heat of Kursk to the bitter coldness of Ural mountains during test, it isn't worthy of this forum ;)
    4,319 more years and 10 SPY clock is accurate to time

HAQ and AW moderator

My concern with these Bulovas are in the years to come, they are unlikely to meet spec.

Thanks for the test on your Bulova. I have just purchased the military model and hope to see similar spec. And the word unlikely is not a test. Good luck.

I have a 98b245 black chronometer for 2 months now. Worn about 2 weeks total - just under 2 seconds from reference. Use it to set my mechanical watches.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Mikahe my Bulova would have welcomed that Russian pleasure trip compared to what it's seen.

It's been through the bitter cold, sweltering heat, and pizza rat on the platforms and tunnels of the NY/NJ Transit system.

Experienced the severe shock on the pot hole ridden, suspension wrecking LIE and Cross Bronx.

Been to highest point and the cheapest crappiest seats in MSG and experienced 4 quarters of Knicks basketball in the death zone. For you folks that aren't familiar with the Knicks or the quality of their team consider yourself blessed.

After all this not even 24 hours after reporting it met specs, the second reply was yeah it met specs but it will probably turn to crap. Talk about buzzkill. (Just messing with you Ronald)

But seriously I look forward to see the results of the other posters and hope their watches perform even better than mine. It would be nice to see that Bulova has addressed the problems of the past and is producing a HAQ product.

HAQ and AW moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wbird View Post
    Mikahe my Bulova would have welcomed that Russian pleasure trip compared to what it's seen.

It's been through the bitter cold, sweltering heat, and pizza rat on the platforms and tunnels of the NY/NJ Transit system.

Experienced the severe shock on the pot hole ridden, suspension wrecking LIE and Cross Bronx.

Been to highest point and the cheapest crappiest seats in MSG and experienced 4 quarters of Knicks basketball in the death zone. For you folks that aren't familiar with the Knicks or the quality of their team consider yourself blessed.

After all this not even 24 hours after reporting it met specs, the second reply was yeah it met specs but it will probably turn to crap. Talk about buzzkill. (Just messing with you Ronald)

But seriously I look forward to see the results of the other posters and hope their watches perform even better than mine. It would be nice to see that Bulova has addressed the problems of the past and is producing a HAQ product.
    Wbird, your watch did not up and leave you while at the Knicks game?

Ron, I'm sure my watch would've bailed if it could've found a Sherpa to help it down. As you know just like Everest most people die on the descent, and I'm sure most people think they are going to die after watching the Knicks.
    ronalddheld and Mmpaste like this.

Hi currently running 3 Bulova's. They were all set to the atomic clock 3 weeks ago. So far the The 96G131 which was made in 2012 is 3 seconds fast. The 96b159 which was made in 2013 is 1 second fast and the 98b220 which was made in 2015 is spot on. They are all worn on various days.
    I wonder if the 96G131 is the worst performer because it is the oldest or if the other watches have been revised more.

Weatherman, I take it you kind of like Bulova's. I can't answer your question directly but over the course of the year you will answer a few questions if you keep measuring them.

If the oldest and least accurate one maintains that rate you could probably conclude it never was meeting spec when produced and QC or earlier designs may have been problematic with the hit and miss results people saw initially.

Worst case scenario the rate continues increase to basic Quartz, still a nice watch just not HAQ.

The best case scenario would be as the battery is getting weaker it may be having problems electronically maintaining accuracy. I've seen this phenomena with various watches on this site. Since at three years old it is close to the end of the usual battery life, perhaps you might get super lucky and a battery change will get you back in spec.

The middle one is running close to spec and might stabilize and be fine. Really to early to conclude anything yet.

The newest one is actually kind of a nice surprise. Ariel Adams on a blog to watch wrote that the Accutron II models were a different movement from the Precissionist, they made them thinner and adjusted them to increase battery life. Because of these changes he thought that accuracy was reduced to 5s per month.

Granted I can't find anything on the web to corroborate this statement on accuracy. If your new Bulova keeps performing well that would be welcome news for you, and people interested in their designs and performance.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information