Finally got around to timing my Oysterquartz - Page 2
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Finally got around to timing my Oysterquartz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    68

    Re: Finally got around to timing my Oysterquartz

    Impressive performance !

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    223

    Re: Finally got around to timing my Oysterquartz

    Quote Originally Posted by Will_f View Post
    Thought I would add another Oysterquartz glamour shot. :)

    Attachment 1225235
    That is stunning! I have the same model winging it's way to me right now (via USPS). Has your watch been polished? It seems to have all the sharp edges and bevels seen on a brand new OQ but rarely once they have been used, abused and polished.

  3. #13
    Member Will_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,210

    Re: Finally got around to timing my Oysterquartz

    Quote Originally Posted by andymac66 View Post
    That is stunning! I have the same model winging it's way to me right now (via USPS). Has your watch been polished? It seems to have all the sharp edges and bevels seen on a brand new OQ but rarely once they have been used, abused and polished.
    That's because everything but the movement, hands and dial has been replaced in the last few years. When I got it from my father in law it was pretty beat up from 30 years in the tropics.
    Owner of a bunch of cool watches.


  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    120

    Re: Finally got around to timing my Oysterquartz

    Hi,

    Well, I got my Datejust back a little over a month ago, and for the last four weeks I've been tracking its accuracy. And I've been frankly amazed with the results. After coming back with the replacement module, in exactly four weeks it's gained a grand total of +0.75 second. That's far, far better than anything I saw with my previous Day-Date. So here's hoping that trend continues!

  5. #15
    Member V10K+'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    301

    Re: Finally got around to timing my Oysterquartz

    Quote Originally Posted by Will_f View Post
    They're very handsome watches. I thought Rolex did an excellent job of creating a distinctive case that ages well. The only downside is the bracelet isn't replaceable aftermarket and Rolex stopped making them 13 years ago. By 2020 parts will be scarce.
    I thought Rolex keeps parts for 30 years after production?


    Quote Originally Posted by Will_f View Post
    I recently timed out my old Oysterquartz with a new battery between May 27 and July 10. Over that 45 day time period it lost 3 seconds (approximately 24s/year). It spent the vast majority of that time sitting at 67 degrees in my safe so I suspect it would do a little better on my wrist.

    The watch was purchased new in 1980 and serviced for the first time around April 2011 by Rolex USA.

    Not much to brag about by current HAQ standards but not bad for an old OQ.

    Attachment 1151607
    What is considered HAQ? 24/seconds a year sounds pretty low to me?
    Rolex OysterQuartz Collection: Rolex DJ OysterQuartz White Roman Dial SS (17000), Rolex DJ OQ White Buckley Jubilee (17014)
    'The OQ is a True Timeless Masterpiece!'
    Other Watches: Cartier Tank Solo SS, Rado R5.5 White Jubilee

    "Guard your time before it runs out."

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    232

    Re: Finally got around to timing my Oysterquartz

    Quote Originally Posted by V10K+ View Post
    I thought Rolex keeps parts for 30 years after production?




    What is considered HAQ? 24/seconds a year sounds pretty low to me?
    COSC quartz is 25.6 seconds per year, which many people consider the starting point for HAQ.

    However, the state of the art is 10 or 5 seconds per year, as per Seiko and Citizen. Most ETA movements in practice are around the 10 sec level at least in the first years, even though their spec are higher (just to be on the safe side).

    So, some people now say 10 seconds per year is the HAQ benchmark.

    'Something to boast about' would be anything less than 5 seconds I would say
    Will_f likes this.

  7. #17
    HAQ and AW moderator
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,279

    Re: Finally got around to timing my Oysterquartz

    We used to consider <20s/y as HAQ. Maybr time to revise it down to <10s/y?

  8. #18
    Member Tom-HK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    987

    Re: Finally got around to timing my Oysterquartz

    I'd say 10 SPY or better for modern HAQs, but when talking about vintage pieces I'd be more generous. Anything that employed some method or other to mitigate the effects of temperature changes in order to achieve higher than normal accuracy. The old COSC spec for a quartz chronometer worked out at about 60 SPY and for watches of that era I wouldn't insist on any better.
    Will_f likes this.

  9. #19
    HAQ and AW moderator
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,279

    Re: Finally got around to timing my Oysterquartz

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-HK View Post
    I'd say 10 SPY or better for modern HAQs, but when talking about vintage pieces I'd be more generous. Anything that employed some method or other to mitigate the effects of temperature changes in order to achieve higher than normal accuracy. The old COSC spec for a quartz chronometer worked out at about 60 SPY and for watches of that era I wouldn't insist on any better.
    Sounds reasonable.

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    76

    Re: Finally got around to timing my Oysterquartz

    Quote Originally Posted by Will_f View Post
    I recently timed out my old Oysterquartz with a new battery between May 27 and July 10. Over that 45 day time period it lost 3 seconds (approximately 24s/year). It spent the vast majority of that time sitting at 67 degrees in my safe so I suspect it would do a little better on my wrist.

    The watch was purchased new in 1980 and serviced for the first time around April 2011 by Rolex USA.

    Not much to brag about by current HAQ standards but not bad for an old OQ.

    Attachment 1151607
    HI,

    24 spy for a quartz watch from the 80s seems impressive to me. Where can I find a technical description of the Oysterquartz? is it thermocompensated? I think I will need to go deeper on the HAQ forum

    How is it called the pattern in the bezel? I prefer this one to the modern date-juste that are way too exaggerated for my taste. Instead, in this Oysterquartz it is just hint: very clean and understated.

    A beautiful watch, indeed.

    Cheers,

    Miguel
    Will_f likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •