WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

GS quartz movement finishing

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  HiggsBoson 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello people,
I have a question for those in the know. I was always under the impression that the 9F62A movements in the usual quartz pieces (SBGX059, 061, etc) all look like this:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Metal Fashion accessory

However, I recently came across this review: Grand Seiko Quartz Caliber 9F62 | Watch Flipr which shows that the usual SBGX059 in the photos had the flashier movement found only in the mastershop and limited edition quartz pieces (notice the lovely Tokyo stripes and the 'GS' emblazoned on the top).

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Analog watch Watch accessory Watch Metal Fashion accessory

Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Metal

Am I to assume that this special finishing is no longer exclusive to the limited edition pieces, and will be found in all quartz 9F62A models from now on? Has anyone recently purchased a GS quartz and has opened the case back? Would LOVE to know! That movement is absolutely stunning!

Cheers guys :)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The only significant difference that I can see is that the first movement you show has a "starburst" pattern of stripes on all the brass-colored metal, while the second movement has single direction parallel stripes. Are you seeing anything else? The wording at the bottom right is a little different, the font for the word SEIKO and the GS is different, too, but both movements are 9F62A and the shapes of all the parts and level of finish seem the same to me. I don't see anything to distinguish one from the other....what am I missing?

#6 ·
Ah from a functional point of view there's probably no difference between the two at all, I'm sure its exactly the same 9F movement. I am just curious as to whether Seiko has 'updated' the finishing on all their quartz models. And correct, its just a bit of eyecandy whenever the battery is changed tis all!

#7 ·
I think these Grand Seiko movements should have an exhibition back!
Why hide that beautiful movement?
I think it gives some mechanical movements a 'run for their money'. :-!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.