WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

HAQ with day/date preferably BIG day ?

4K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  ronalddheld 
#1 · (Edited)
New here, first post:

Help me find a day/date HAQ if one exists.

I noted with great interest VHP and 9F62 achievements in SPY, but having spent all my life working changing day and night shifts (different days every week) I've become conditioned to having the day and date on my watch. (If you work Mon-Fri you ALWAYS know what day it is, especially if you hate your job!). Retired now... so even less reason to know what day it is.

Examples from mechanical watches: I love the way the day is displayed on Presidents and ETA 2834-2's but to expect to find that in HAQ is a long-shot.

Certina DS-1
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Failing that a big day done like this would be great:

Fortis F-43 Limited Edition
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Or am I limited to Digital or a combination like the Omega X-33 ? If I find a second generation one of these at a reasonable price and have the funds at the time I will buy it, assuming it's very accurate. What does the HAQ forum say about the X-33's accuracy ?

Is there such a thing as a HAQ with digital only display? If it has to be all-digital that's second best but would be better than no day display for me.

Oh yes... just to rub salt into the wound: My favourite style of watch is the Flieger, large with a fat hour hand and lots of Superluminova. ( not essential
)

Thank you.
c_malc

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
#3 ·
Thanks ronalddheld, that Z-33 is a watch I've not seen before. Very interesting but doesn't look as handsome as a second hand X-33; the pushers protrude too much and I'm not a shy guy but it seems a bit loud. Do either of these Omegas have thermally compensated Quartz ?

#6 ·
I looked at a Z33 at the local Omega Boutique. I was told that it definitely was tc but that the literature that came with the watch said nothing about accuracy....which argues that it is not calibrated. I realize that Omegas are almost all mechanical but the staff knew almost nothing about the watch, had to look everything up, either in the watches literature or in their catalogues. They only had one example, on a strap ($5600), but there is a model on a bracelet for $5900. Personally, I like the dial and the display but I think the case is ghastly, way too big and way too "look at me".
Reverting to the OP's question, there are a couple of quartz Grand Seikos with day and date, though neither day nor date is any bigger than "normal" dates, and they aren't luminous. They are definitely HAQ though, at 10 s/y. I believe the ana-digi Breitlings can be set to show the day but I think the day and date are in separate displays so you have to twiddle to change from one to the other.

#9 ·
Thank you shtora,

I don't know how, but I got the incorrect impression that all the 9F## models were day only. Thank you very much for putting me on the track of a 9F83 equipped GS. It would be close to exactly what I'm looking for. If I can find one with luminous hands it would be irresistible.

#10 ·
The Breitling Airwolf Raven has both day and date. As luck would have it mine was on time display when I took my "collection" picture. So I also just snapped a quick shot right now using the camera on my computer, showing day (top display), and date (bottom display). It is a little grainy, but gets the idea across. Mine is running at about 7 SPY.

The date can be formatted as:

A. MM.DD.YY (I never have understood this format)

or

B. DD.MM.YY (normal format in the Europe and Canada)

My preference would be the SI metric format: YY.MM.DD or more properly YYYY.MM.DD

The Airwolf Raven has recently been dropped from the Breitling catalogue, but a quick search of eBay and Chrono24 show that there are at least a couple dozen on the market right now, some new, some used. Also I suspect that many dealers might still have one in stock. The older B1 still surfaces on the markets from time-to-time, and the ones with the B-78 caliber are TC (older models are not). A search of the two sites again reveals several dozen on the market (although a search on Chrono24 also bring up a lot of Chronomat mechanical models too).

In the current Breitling Catalogue (BREITLING | INSTRUMENTS FOR PROFESSIONALS™) their Aerospace, Chronospace and Emergeny models all have the dual digital displays. Only the Chronospace has the dual chronograph pushers, whereas the other two do everything through the crown (not sure how this works). The Chronospace is quite a bit larger than the Airwolf (48 mm vs 43 mm), but in the blacksteel version actually looks quite good.

The collage below cobbled together from various catalogue pictures, consists of (clockwise) Aerospace (courtesy Breitling), Chronospace (courtesy Breitling), Airwolf Raven (mine), and Emergency (courtesy Breitling).

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product

That big protrusion on the Emergency is an emergency locator transmitter, triggered by unscrewing the cap and pulling out the wire (antenna). This will, if within a reasonable range, likely cause initiation of a search and rescue effort, and if not a real emergency could result in a stiff fine depending on the jurisdiction. Definitely a serious pilot watch.

Two other watches based on the same ETA caliber are the Chopard Grand Prix de Monaco Historique Time Attack MF (now that's got to be the longest watch model name out there), picture courtesy Chopard (Chopard - Swiss Luxury Watches and Jewellery Manufacturer):

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

And finally there is the Krieger Marine Chronometer, picture courtesy Krieger (KRIEGER):

Watch Analog watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Blue

Also there is a new watch that may be available in the spring that combines TC with satellite synchronization, the MorgenWerk M3 (check out Morgenwerk Satellite Precision Watch).

#17 ·
Thank Fer, I'm saving my pennies.

I had the wrong idea that all the day/date Grand Seikos were mechanical. I probably assumed so because the majority of the Quartz ones are date only, but not all of them as I'm glad to be informed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.