Help with Cartier Roadster running slow

Thread: Help with Cartier Roadster running slow

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5

    Help with Cartier Roadster running slow

    HI all. this is my first post here. Have a question here that I hope the HEQ gurus might be of help with.

    I purchased a ladie's fiance a lady Cartier Roadster quartz about 2 months ago. She only started wearing it and noticed that over 24h the watch is 15-20min slow. The watch seems to be running ok when left on the table but when worn begins to slow down. I am going to confirm that today by leaving the watch on the table all day and see what happens.

    What can cause a quartz watch to run so slow? Could it be just a battery problem or something more serious? Is there anything special about the Cartier roadster movement (I assume it's a pretty standard ETA?)

    Thank you!!

  2. #2
    Moderator Eeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes - USofA
    Posts
    15,555

    Re: Help with Cartier Roadster running slow

    Quote Originally Posted by jlyc View Post
    HI all. this is my first post here. Have a question here that I hope the HEQ gurus might be of help with.

    I purchased a ladie's fiance a lady Cartier Roadster quartz about 2 months ago. She only started wearing it and noticed that over 24h the watch is 15-20min slow. The watch seems to be running ok when left on the table but when worn begins to slow down. I am going to confirm that today by leaving the watch on the table all day and see what happens.

    What can cause a quartz watch to run so slow? Could it be just a battery problem or something more serious? Is there anything special about the Cartier roadster movement (I assume it's a pretty standard ETA?)

    Thank you!!
    Pop the caseback, post a pic of the movement and we can comment on what the movement is... but you are correct, it is almost certainly one of Eta's models. It might contain Cartier labeling and might be a gold plated (literally) model. This is common for high end encasers.

    The problem you describe indicates something is wrong with this watch. If you bought it new, you should be able to get it fixed under warranty. If you didn't any watchmaker should be able to replace the battery and, if necessary, replace the movement with one that works properly. Or you can ship it back to Cartier and they will make sure, if the movement is replaced, it is one with the Cartier labeling. While irrelevant to the operation of the watch, this will have an effect on the resale value.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

    "The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

    ...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    San Jose, California-USA
    Posts
    20,599

    Re: Help with Cartier Roadster running slow

    Pop the caseback = void the warranty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Pop the caseback, post a pic of the movement and we can comment on what the movement is... but you are correct, it is almost certainly one of Eta's models. It might contain Cartier labeling and might be a gold plated (literally) model. This is common for high end encasers.

    The problem you describe indicates something is wrong with this watch. If you bought it new, you should be able to get it fixed under warranty. If you didn't any watchmaker should be able to replace the battery and, if necessary, replace the movement with one that works properly. Or you can ship it back to Cartier and they will make sure, if the movement is replaced, it is one with the Cartier labeling. While irrelevant to the operation of the watch, this will have an effect on the resale value.

  4. #4
    Moderator Eeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes - USofA
    Posts
    15,555

    Re: Help with Cartier Roadster running slow

    Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Pop the caseback = void the warranty!
    Not always... but, additionally, only if they found out you did it
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

    "The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

    ...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

  5. #5
    Moderator Eeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes - USofA
    Posts
    15,555

    Re: Help with Cartier Roadster running slow

    Quote Originally Posted by vandice View Post
    Magnets causing the hands to stop. That's the only reason I can think of for a quartz to be slow on the wrist.
    Good point. But it would take pretty strong magnets very close to the watch. If the wearer is using those magnetic health bracelets, it might happen...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

    "The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

    ...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5

    Re: Help with Cartier Roadster running slow

    Thanks for all the responses so far. Magnetism is not likely a factor.

    It seems that the time lag occurs between 3-6pm...another poster had suggested the hands being 'caught' somewhere but if that's the case i think 3-6am would be affected as well.

    I would like to have it repaired under warranty, but cartier seems to have two warranty systems; one for international and one for north america. the watch was bought from AD in HK..so I have to look into the papers to see if repair is under warranty in NA.

    by the way, the AD told me a battery change is $150 (canadian dollar). Is that robbery..or what..haha

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5

    i was going to pop the case back myself and have a look-see but

    a poster on timezone said that there is something particular about the seal and movement on the roadster...so i think it's best left to trained hands.

    it's just very, very frustrating that something like this happens to a new watch. a quartz one, no less.

  8. #8
    Moderator Eeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes - USofA
    Posts
    15,555

    Re: Help with Cartier Roadster running slow

    Quote Originally Posted by jlyc View Post
    ...
    by the way, the AD told me a battery change is $150 (canadian dollar). Is that robbery..or what..haha
    The battery is certainly less than $20 retail and the time involved doesn't exceed 5 minutes if you have done it before... But prices bear no relationship to cost, only what the market will bear. I guess Cartier figures their market will bear a $150 charge.

    But then again, sometimes vendors bundle in a full health check, seal replacement and water resistance testing with battery changes... this adds a little to the costs and some to the price justification.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

    "The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

    ...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northern Canada
    Posts
    606

    Re: Help with Cartier Roadster running slow

    Quote Originally Posted by jlyc View Post
    HI all. this is my first post here. Have a question here that I hope the HEQ gurus might be of help with.

    I purchased a ladie's fiance a lady Cartier Roadster quartz about 2 months ago. She only started wearing it and noticed that over 24h the watch is 15-20min slow. The watch seems to be running ok when left on the table but when worn begins to slow down. I am going to confirm that today by leaving the watch on the table all day and see what happens.

    What can cause a quartz watch to run so slow? Could it be just a battery problem or something more serious? Is there anything special about the Cartier roadster movement (I assume it's a pretty standard ETA?)

    Thank you!!
    The watch is clearly defective.
    If the watch was purchased new and is not 'hot', and you bought it from an authorized Cartier dealer, DO NOT open the back. If the HK warranty doesn't apply in North America - which is doubtful, to say the least - then simply return it to the HK dealer. If the watch was purchased 'grey' market, then contact the seller. They should provide some degree of back-up.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2