WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Morgenwerk

185K views 1K replies 67 participants last post by  webvan 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Anyone else as excited about these as I am? A high accuracy thermocompensated satellite watch that learns from its error rate? The cheapest version is around $1100

Morgenwerk Satellite Precision Watch

Will
Cool!
Thanks for the link.

The dial is spot on. Clear and concise is the way I like it.

Some interesting new tricks here:
Antennas to the outside. They will scratch though.
Hook-up to recharge. I'll have to think about that one. Solar dial not reliable enough?

#11 ·
Morganwerk

I'm thinking about it. They go on sale next year so I've got time. They look nice (an important quality) but bigger than I like and I want to see what kind of WR they have. I generally won't consider watches with less than 50M rating.

#13 ·
Wow....I am glad i held off ordering an Astron GPS now !

This all sounds quite promising......... AND i like the simple, no nonsense styling. Prices also appear to be more realistic,...... just like the dimensions !
It seems like a lot of tech/functionality is included for the $.

Not being solar powered may not be the massively inconvenient issue which was my initial thought, since a TC piece should not require quite such regular and power consuming daily GPS corrections.

I really like the thinking behind this "multi-layered" approach to accuracy and i hope it works out well in practice.

So would the "learning" IC also help compensate for crystal ageing?... :think:

#14 ·
Well, at a guess I would say it never stops learning. Even after 20 years, it will work out the then current actual quartz rate between GPS synchronizations.

The requirement to charge separately could be handy if you use a lot of expensive functions. Use the alarm a lot; recharge more frequently.

On the other hand then, why not synchronize when docking? If that is going to be a regular event.

#19 ·
I would not think it would need to charge everyday.I have an ana-digi here,and with average use it can go 4 months until next charge.Not sure if we can compare the two,but something to go off.If you've seen it before.
The major power consumer of 'docked' watches is usually radios. Operating a TC analog-digital watch would consume much less power. If the GPS use is minimized I would hope daily docking would not be required.

I have two 'docked' watches. They need daily feeds. It is an operational PITA.

#26 ·
Awesome! Thanks for pointing this out. It would be ideal if they could shrink one down to a sub-40mm case diameter for those of us who don't like wearing dinner plates.

I am convinced that satellite sync is the future of high-end accurate timekeeping. Let the innovation continue! :-!