Omega 1538 calibre

Thread: Omega 1538 calibre

-->
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Omega 1538 calibre

Dear Forum: I have a new Omega Seamaster Aquaterra quartz which has a 1538 calibre. Is this the same movement as my '95 Seamaster? It seems to have the identical features. Thanks, Roger. P.S. why does the second hand never line up with the indices? I assume 'low qualtiy control' is the answer!

Re: Omega 1538 calibre

Speaking of 'low quality', please pardon my typo in the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerE View Post
    Dear Forum: I have a new Omega Seamaster Aquaterra quartz which has a 1538 calibre. Is this the same movement as my '95 Seamaster? It seems to have the identical features. Thanks, Roger. P.S. why does the second hand never line up with the indices? I assume 'low quality control' is the answer!
    The current Omega Cal.1538 is an ETA 255.461. It is a fairly old movement so it could be the same movement as in your 1995 Seamaster. It looks like that Omega changed the caliber ID of the Cal.1438 to Cal.1538 a couple of years ago for unknown reason as both these movements are in fact ETA 255.461.
    About your observation of the seconds-hand and the indices: I think, you're right it must be a quality control issue affecting almost all quartz watches.

Quote Originally Posted by ppaulusz View Post
    About your observation of the seconds-hand and the indices: I think, you're right it must be a quality control issue affecting almost all quartz watches.
    Not meaning to bash, here, but I'm thinking that this is much more prevelant among Swiss watches, as opposed to Japanese ones. That's my experience at least, but am interested in hearing other observations. My GP quartz from 1972, otoh, is dead on all the way around. My impression? When quartz was a special, exotic new technology, they really cared.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Reding View Post
    Not meaning to bash, here, but I'm thinking that this is much more prevelant among Swiss watches, as opposed to Japanese ones. That's my experience at least, but am interested in hearing other observations. My GP quartz from 1972, otoh, is dead on all the way around. My impression? When quartz was a special, exotic new technology, they really cared.
    I agree, Bruce!
    Among my current watches, the Longines is dead on around 50% of the time, the Omega is dead on all the time. My two Japanese watches (Citizen and Seiko) are dead on all the time but they are using jewel-less "fly-by-wire" technology where the seconds-hand are automatically adjusted during a set up procedure (for both watches) furthermore in the case of the Seiko the position of the seconds-hand is periodically checked by the electronics of the movement.
    I used to have a Seiko (8F32) that had a normal jewelled movement that performed worse than my Longines regarding seconds-hand positioning.

... It looks like that Omega changed the caliber ID of the Cal.1438 to Cal.1538 a couple of years ago for unknown reason as both these movements are in fact ETA 255.461...
    Gentlemen, I think it is an interesting and unusual act by Omega. Can anyone of you give us more details about what has happened, when and why regarding to movements Cal.1438 and Cal.1538?

The current Omega Cal.1538 is an ETA 255.461. It is a fairly old movement so it could be the same movement as in your 1995 Seamaster. It looks like that Omega changed the caliber ID of the Cal.1438 to Cal.1538 a couple of years ago for unknown reason as both these movements are in fact ETA 255.461.
    George, I agree. The calibre ID differs although he is one cal.Eta 255.461

Thank you very much for your answers. I also own 3 Oysterquartz watches, and their second hands line up perfectly with the indices. Of course they were much more expensive than the Omega when new, and undoubtedly were engineered more thoroughly.

Ditto. My SS GP 354.012 is dead on, whereas the X-33 can be slightly off. My EcoZilla also suffers from mis-alignment, but of course, I wouldn't consider it HEQ. It'll be interesting to see how my first quartz Seiko fares, when I pick it up Monday...
    If you're in Hell what can I say? You probably deserved it anyway

Nick Cave

Quote Originally Posted by RogerE View Post
    Dear Forum: I have a new Omega Seamaster Aquaterra quartz which has a 1538 calibre. Is this the same movement as my '95 Seamaster? It seems to have the identical features. Thanks, Roger. P.S. why does the second hand never line up with the indices? I assume 'low qualtiy control' is the answer!
    My Bond seamaster, sold first in 2000 or 2001 (got it pre-owned in 2007), has the second hand not lining up either. I also had a look at a few at the Omega AD and they were the same. I guess its just the way they are produced. I don't loose any sleep over it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information