Omega 1538 movement vs Tag 2000 Exclusive professional quartz movement

Thread: Omega 1538 movement vs Tag 2000 Exclusive professional quartz movement

-->

Omega 1538 movement vs Tag 2000 Exclusive professional quartz movement

Please advise me as to the quality and accuracy differences between these 2 movements. I understand the 1538 is an ETA 255.461. What does that mean? What is the ETA # for the Tag? Is one significantly better than the other?

Thanks!

TeddyT

Re: Omega 1538 movement vs Tag 2000 Exclusive professional quartz movement

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyT View Post
    Please advise me as to the quality and accuracy differences between these 2 movements. I understand the 1538 is an ETA 255.461. What does that mean? What is the ETA # for the Tag? Is one significantly better than the other?

Thanks!

TeddyT
    The ETA 255.461 is a 6 jeweled movement with date display. It is part of the Flatline movements and, as such, is part of ETA's better movements. It is not thermocompensated. It has a low battery indication by moving the second hand 4 seconds at a time rather than each second. It's a good movement.

Tag, well, Tag usually doesn't tell much about it's movements. In other requests like this, we have usually found Tag is using 'lesser' movements. However, that doesn't mean they aren't as accurate... but the accuracy of lesser movement seems to have a wider variance than the better movements. On of the advantages of the better movements is they can be individually calibrated by the manufacturer. The 255.461 is capable of this calibration (but that doesn't mean the manufacturer actually did it).

You are going to have to hunt around on the Tag website to find the movement ID, if they have it. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyT View Post

Thanks!

TeddyT
    I have three Omega watches with the 1538 movement. One has average accuracy (0.3-0.4 sec/day), one has better than average accuracy (0.2 sec/day) and one has excellent accuracy (0.03 sec/day). The temperature stability of these watches has not been good, but if worn in a normal fashion, I would expect to get accuracies in the range of 0.1 to 0.4 sec/day.

I don't know if your Tag second hand hits the marks well, but my experience with the Omega 1538 movement is that, on the whole, they are not good at hitting the second marks. This is a common complaint made about Omega quartz watches. If you really like the second had to hit the marks, then you may be frustrated with an Omega 1538 movement.

That being said, I have found that the case and bracelet build quality of Omega watches to be excellent. They are some of my favorite watches.

I agree. I own 2 TAG quartz - they're almost 20 years old, and I've owned them since new, but I've no idea what movements they have - and 2 Omegas ('95 Seamaster and '07 Aqua-Terra Seamaster) with the 1538 movements. The Omegas definitely have superior 'finishing', but I doubt that their movement quality is significantly different from the TAGs. The '95 1538 hits the second markers precisely, but the '07 is clueless. The TAGs are less accurate by only few seconds a month, and they have never been serviced. If you just feel like a new watch, the Omega won't disappoint!

Here is a link for more info on the Tag:
    Tag Heuer Professional Information

It looks like it uses an ETA 955.112.

I did find in the 'manual' for the Tag, that it has a low battery indicator, where the second hand skips 4 seconds at a time. I don't know if this in any way indicates what movement it is.

Hans,
    Thanks for the link....I'll check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Moleman View Post
    Here is a link for more info on the Tag:
    Tag Heuer Professional Information

It looks like it uses an ETA 955.112.
    Looking at the ETA docs, these seem to be very similar movements. The 955 is in the Normaline product line, which is normally not quite up to the Flatline level... but it has one more jewel and can be regulated by the manufacturer.

Thread Information