Thread: Pics of Seiko Kinetic Arctura Chronograph

Pics of Seiko Kinetic Arctura Chronograph

This one I would describe as modern-dressy. It is Seiko's 40th Anniversary Edition Arctura Kinetic chronograph in Ti. It houses Seiko's kinetic caliber 7L22A 8jewels with 5 months power reserve. I like how the focus of this watch is not the time, since time-telling is through a smaller sub-dial, but rather on the 45 min chronograpg function. Actually you get 50 mins of timing before the seconds hand stops. Interesting design on this Seiko. The see-through back is not so common in other kinetics by Seiko. The seconds and mins hands are blued. The true seconds sub-dial is ticking at 2 sec intervals so that means I have roughly 12 hours of capacity charge left. I better give this one a few flicks of the wrist.

Are you a Watchaholic using the C.A.G.E. criteria?

Have you ever felt the need to Cut down on your watch binging?
    Have you ever felt Annoyed by crticism of your watch binging?
    Have you ever felt Guility about watch binging?
    Have you ever had to take a morning Eye opener?

Re: Pics of Seiko Kinetic Arctura Chronograph

Good crisp face! - typical Seiko. And titanium is a big advantage on what looks like a thick watch.

ETA made a chronograph version of the Autoquartz (the Swiss Kinetic...) but I've never found one.... it's a bird as rare and lively as the Dodo.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    ETA made a chronograph version of the Autoquartz (the Swiss Kinetic...) but I've never found one.... it's a bird as rare and lively as the Dodo.
    Thanks Eeeb for that tidbit:thanks I grew up wearing a Swatch battery operated watch and was inspired by your reply to track this Autoquartz down. I'll post a pic of my Swatch that I wore as a kid when I get home later. I never knew that Swatch had a "kinetic" version until your reply. Makes me wonder why Seiko's kinetics did so well and ETA'a autoquartz bottomed out

What you posted has an Autoquartz ETA 205.711. It has 15 jewels as opposed to the 205.111 (a capacitor for electron storage) and the 205.911 (a Panasonic rechargable battery) which both have 17 jewels.

For a quartz, these are a lot of jewels! So I assume the movements are long lived and relatively friction free.

The 205.711 was not sold except to Swatch Watch. Swatch put out about 20 different models with the movement. The above model, 'the electrons', being one I liked the most from those I've seen. (I have one... there's one for sale right now on eBay Deutchland that looks like it will go real cheap.) You can still get most of the Swatch models from various Swatch on-line stores like Squiggley but they tend to go for original list (about $80-120 US).

These Autoquartz Swatches are about as close to trouble free as a watch can get. The cases don't ever need to be opened to replace batteries. Most die from broken bands (which can be replaced with NOS bands). I wouldn't be surprised if they were still working 50 years from now... if the rechargeable battery doesn't die. There is one place in the Netherlands that will crack the cases and work on the innards... but it has to be close to the only place in the world.

The 205.111 suffers from capacitor death. I assume they used some electrochemical cap. Those things tend to die over time. (It's the only capacitor you routinely have to replace in vintage radios.) The 205.911 is theoretically limited by the charge cycles on the Panasonic but I've never heard of one dying and the movement is getting close to 15 years old.

The microprocessor on the .111 and .911 can be adjusted for accuracy. But you need the proper adapters and the high end Witschi to do it. I suspect the .711 was just built and assembled (at that price, what do you expect!).

My .711s vary in accuracy but are more accurate than most quartz. My .911 is more accurate than my thermocompensated Longines Perpetual VHP right now. I have a .911 from Ventura coming that has COSC quartz certification paperwork! I'll post a note on it when it arrives from Europe.

WOW!! Thank You for all that info and knowledge Eeeb! I appreciate it:thanks Well here's my grade school Swatch. I need to find a band for this on the Bay. Man how my taste's have changed!

This group is getting eclectic... from George's ChronoInABox to SwatchInYellowPlastic within one week!

I checked Squiggley and couldn't find yours... but I wasn't too patient in my search.

And I stand corrected, Swatch only issued 10 different models of the Autoquartz. (Pics below)

To justify SwatchInYellowPlastic in HEQ... while the watch may not itself be high end, the manufacturing is probably the most advanced in the business.

To keep Bruce from strangling us with fiber, here are some nice HEQ Autoquartz pics... (Click on 'em to get a bigger pic)

Name:  Pequignet autoquartz - back.jpg
Views: 2741
Size:  92.8 KB

Attachment 59991

Name:  Ventura Sparc - ETA 205.911.jpg
Views: 1893
Size:  23.7 KB

Attachment 59993

Attachment 59994
    Last edited by Eeeb; August 24th, 2007 at 06:42.

Nice, Allan! The Arctura line has always appealed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by allanvalle View Post
    This one I would describe as modern-dressy. It is Seiko's 40th Anniversary Edition Arctura Kinetic chronograph in Ti. It houses Seiko's kinetic caliber 7L22A 8jewels with 5 months power reserve. I like how the focus of this watch is not the time, since time-telling is through a smaller sub-dial, but rather on the 45 min chronograpg function. Actually you get 50 mins of timing before the seconds hand stops. Interesting design on this Seiko. The see-through back is not so common in other kinetics by Seiko. The seconds and mins hands are blued. The true seconds sub-dial is ticking at 2 sec intervals so that means I have roughly 12 hours of capacity charge left. I better give this one a few flicks of the wrist.

Almost my very watch , strange the serial numbers is only a few digits away! Picked mine up from new during a trip to Singapore at the end of 2004

Thread Information