WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Rolex Oysterquartz - best ever quartz made??

13K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  ingmar 
#1 ·
What do u guys think?? Rolex oysterquartz - right up there in the world of quartz pieces?

#4 ·
Best quartz ever made? No, there have been too many other quartz movements with even tighter accuracy for Rolex to claim that lofty honor. I think that it occupies a special place in the history of highly accurate quartz watches alongside other pioneer movements.

#7 ·
A quality piece during its time (casing, movement, finishing) but the Japanese beat Rolex to the game in quartz technology.

Iconic (mainly because Rolex bowed out of quartz).

Personally, (no disrespect to any parties) I find the actions of the major Swiss brands rather hypocritical. They embraced the quartz revolution late and almost went the way of the Dodo, only to spit at the word quartz today.

It'll be amusing seeing them regulate their products with mechanical systems, not to mention making any component.

#9 ·
well every maker can claim to be better than the rest.but i believe it is upto the wearer of the watch to decide.some watches fit better than others as they should as wrist sizes are all different.as for watches to go down in history what about a casio calculator watch.i change the watch i wear weekly last week it was a ricoh 21 jewel automatic watch yes it add a min in a week.but i wasn'y late for anything

#12 ·
Why? Because this hobby is about more than just timing performance. Many are turned off of quartz watches because they (the watches) do not subscribe to a romantic ideal about what a wristwatch should be - powered by springs, gears and metallic moving parts, fashioned by an artisan in an atelier somewhere in one of the Swiss cantons.

#13 ·
The watches made by an artisan in an atelier cost a lot more than 1 million $... 99,9% of the mechanical watches are assembled by computer controlled machines and I can see no romantic ideal in that - this is to show that, if we talk about this kind of fashion, quartzes and mechanicals are quite the same...

#14 ·
Not all watches are computer made. Dornbluth, Richard & Maria Habring, etc made very nice watches by hand (using equipment but completely removed from the process) that are reasonably priced.

I love mechanical but also really enjoyed my Oysterquartz- the sound of the hammer, the precise second hand, etc. And I can't wait until my new Chronomaster arrives so I can appreciate the other side of things- near perfect timekeeping, carefree wear, etc.

#15 · (Edited)
The Oysterquartz's primary claim to fame was that Rolex made it. It also was the only movement made that used its particular method of thermocompensation and was one of the first, if not the first thermocompensated movement. It's also a genuinely attractive watch and the movement is built to Rolexes' usual quality standards, and pretty unusual for 1977, it had a sapphire crystal.

Still, technology has moved way beyond it. A pic for those interested:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Silver

Movement pic from Oysterquartz.net

Attachments

#17 ·
The Oysterquartz's primary claim to fame was that Rolex made it. It also was the only movement made that used its particular method of thermocompensation and was one of the first, if not the first thermocompensated movement. It's also a genuinely attractive watch and the movement is built to Rolexes' usual quality standards, and pretty unusual for 1977, it had a sapphire crystal.
I believe Citizen uses the variable capacitance method of applying thermocompensation 'shifts' too... but Rolex was the first. However, I'm not really sure if it was the first TC watch ... Anyone know when ETA's first Thermoline was produced?

#21 ·
just saying "hi"... so do i have somehow a very good quartz? and... is it then important for collectors?

View attachment 1550775
Short answer: no.

The 17000 or president model Oysterquartz have some collector value.

Your particular model, the gold/steel, is not really. And while the shot isn't great, it looks worn down.

They really need to be sharp and almost pristine to be "collector quality."

Is the movement good? Well engineered and fairly good looking? Yes.

Hope you're enjoying it. Best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.