Rolex Oysterquartz - best ever quartz made??
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Rolex Oysterquartz - best ever quartz made??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rolex Oysterquartz - best ever quartz made??

What do u guys think?? Rolex oysterquartz - right up there in the world of quartz pieces?

Re: Rolex Oysterquartz - best ever quartz made??

Quote Originally Posted by ymfd181 View Post
    What do u guys think?? Rolex oysterquartz - right up there in the world of quartz pieces?
    That was indeed back in the '70s the very first quartz with some degree of TC, but I am afraid that compared to more modern models the general accuracy and thermo-compansation is pretty poor

Quote Originally Posted by Catalin View Post
    That was indeed back in the '70s the very first quartz with some degree of TC, but I am afraid that compared to more modern models the general accuracy and thermo-compansation is pretty poor
    Is that right? Somehow, I had thought that the early twin-quartz Seikos would have predated the OQ.
    Vancouver

Best quartz ever made? No, there have been too many other quartz movements with even tighter accuracy for Rolex to claim that lofty honor. I think that it occupies a special place in the history of highly accurate quartz watches alongside other pioneer movements.

HAQ moderator

A place in history, yes. Not the best quartz by current accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by South Pender View Post
    Is that right? Somehow, I had thought that the early twin-quartz Seikos would have predated the OQ.
    The Oysterquartz I believe was launched in 1977 while precise dates are a little unclear on twin-quartz - something like 1978 (I even have one of those) but there might have been reports about models from the end of 1977. Either way the twin-quartz calibers have been specified a lot higher in accuracy, and some can still be re-calibrated close to that original performance! (but that is far from easy).

RPF

A quality piece during its time (casing, movement, finishing) but the Japanese beat Rolex to the game in quartz technology.

Iconic (mainly because Rolex bowed out of quartz).

Personally, (no disrespect to any parties) I find the actions of the major Swiss brands rather hypocritical. They embraced the quartz revolution late and almost went the way of the Dodo, only to spit at the word quartz today.

It'll be amusing seeing them regulate their products with mechanical systems, not to mention making any component.

I wonder Y quartz has such a bad rep among collectors and watch makers when it is probably the technology they will embrace if they enter a war zone due to its reliability

well every maker can claim to be better than the rest.but i believe it is upto the wearer of the watch to decide.some watches fit better than others as they should as wrist sizes are all different.as for watches to go down in history what about a casio calculator watch.i change the watch i wear weekly last week it was a ricoh 21 jewel automatic watch yes it add a min in a week.but i wasn'y late for anything

I wonder Y quartz has such a bad rep among collectors and watch makers when it is probably the technology they will embrace if they enter a war zone due to its reliability
    War zone??! With EMF strikes a possibility, I would thing mechanicals might have it for ultimate reliability.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information