WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Synchronar Mark IV has arrived absolutely NOS.

6K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  ronalddheld 
#1 ·
Just arrived from and assembled by Howard Riehl from new old stock parts, a Synchronar Mark IV.

I just love this watch, took awhile to get a handle on the slide switch combinations but they are intuitive once you get going. Depending on the switch positions; away, toward, jogging the watch will show:

1. first time zone; hour, minute, 12 hour display
  2. second time zone; hour, minute 24 hour display
  3. day in alpha, seconds
  4. leap year, correction factor*
  5. stop watch; hour, minute
  6. stop watch; second, hundredths
  7. alarm
  • by setting the leap year the watch corrects for Feb,29th until the year 2100.
  • the correction factor is used to speed or slow the watch. a count of 46 will adjust the watch 1 second in one day. The range is 000 to 799 for the count. My watch is at 620 and is spot on for 1 week. I have noted the time, date that I set the watch to the WWV atomic clock. In about a month if there is a deviation I can plug the seconds variation and the hours run since setting to calculate a new correction to add to or subtract from the 620 factory setting. Each single increment is 4 seconds per year so with careful measurements the accuracy could theoretically be within 4 seconds a year.
  • the stop watch function also has an elapsed time display. While the stop watch is started, (at the beginning of the flight) you can switch to watch mode for the two time zones and every 8 seconds the elapsed time will display for 3 seconds giving you a running count without having to switch to stop watch. This function can be disabled in low light conditions if the stopwatch is required for a long flight.
The case is brushed stainless and the module is encased in Lexan which polishes ruby glossy red.

Enjoy:

See less See more
#2 ·
How long did it take to get yours? I ordered a 24 hour version perhaps 12 or so years ago and it took the better part of 8 months to arrive, with lots of excuses along the way.

The display on your watch seems clearer than mine-- the red Lexan™ plastic on mine is a little cloudy.

What's Howard charging now? I think I paid $250...

#4 · (Edited)
Yes it was a long wait but not that long.

There were certainly delivery problems from what I understand, in the past. The company and the inventors health certainly impacted the deliveries.

Howard Riehl, one of the inventors sons prepared this one for me and I ordered it about a year ago. I knew it would take awhile as it is not in production and Howard gets about 4 done a year. Howard was excellent and kept me updated as to the work being done, potting gel orders, securing new batteries and solar panels and etc.

I have restored many watches for clients but it is not my primary business, only a hobby for a watch enthusiast. It does take time to secure obscure out of production parts so I was prepared for the wait.

Cheers, Geoff

PS the display, stainless case and lexan module are perfect. A wonderfully finished product.

#7 ·
...Each single increment is 4 seconds per year so with careful measurements the accuracy could theoretically be within 4 seconds a year...
Congratulations!|>
Let me correct you on your maths: if each single increment is 4 seconds per year then with careful measurements the accuracy could theoretically be within 2 seconds a year (+/-2 seconds per year)!

#8 ·
Your absolutely correct, I should have consulted the book instead of relying on my memory.

As stated in the book "setting the synthesizer one digital increment higher for each 8 seconds per year observed loss, the watch may be set with 4 seconds per year loss or gain"

Geoff

#11 ·
Just arrived from and assembled by Howard Riehl from new old stock parts, a Synchronar Mark IV.

I just love this watch, took awhile to get a handle on the slide switch combinations but they are intuitive once you get going. Depending on the switch positions; away, toward, jogging the watch will show:

1. first time zone; hour, minute, 12 hour display
  2. second time zone; hour, minute 24 hour display
  3. day in alpha, seconds
  4. leap year, correction factor*
  5. stop watch; hour, minute
  6. stop watch; second, hundredths
  7. alarm

• by setting the leap year the watch corrects for Feb,29th until the year 2100.
  • the correction factor is used to speed or slow the watch. a count of 46 will adjust the watch 1 second in one day. The range is 000 to 799 for the count. My watch is at 620 and is spot on for 1 week. I have noted the time, date that I set the watch to the WWV atomic clock. In about a month if there is a deviation I can plug the seconds variation and the hours run since setting to calculate a new correction to add to or subtract from the 620 factory setting. Each single increment is 4 seconds per year so with careful measurements the accuracy could theoretically be within 4 seconds a year.
  • the stop watch function also has an elapsed time display. While the stop watch is started, (at the beginning of the flight) you can switch to watch mode for the two time zones and every 8 seconds the elapsed time will display for 3 seconds giving you a running count without having to switch to stop watch. This function can be disabled in low light conditions if the stopwatch is required for a long flight.
The case is brushed stainless and the module is encased in Lexan which polishes ruby glossy red.

Enjoy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.