What HEQ and non HEQ movements look like - Page 2

Thread: What HEQ and non HEQ movements look like

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: What HEQ and non HEQ movements look like

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    ...I really cannot see how the claimed accuracy and temperature range can be squeezed out of a 32k crystal without TC.
    Clearly there is TC in this watch... but it is supplied by the wearer and not the movement. Those caveats in the instructions about wearing clearly show this.

I have some Autoquartz that will meet these accuracy levels if you meet similar "wear compensation" schemas... and they are clearly 32khz non-TC quartz.

I suspect any watch which leaves the factory with a custom but non-varying inhibition count (like the Autoquartz and maybe these Asians) tailored to that specific movement can meet these standards with similar wear-based compensation.

This is a conjecture that could probably be proved accurate or inaccurate by some careful experiments with such movements.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Clearly there is TC in this watch... but it is supplied by the wearer and not the movement. Those caveats in the instructions about wearing clearly show this...
    No, Jim, that Seiko (8J) must have proper thermocompensation. Unlike the Swiss, Japanese manufacturers always include that caveats in the instructions. Even the The Citizen (A660) and the Grand Seiko (9F) have these notes about minimal on-wrist time.
    This watch (8J56) has a single 32kHz oscillator so it needs electronic thermocompensation to meet accuracy specifications of +/-10 sec/year.
    The Seiko 8F movements with a single 196kHz(!) oscillator are specified for +/-20 sec/year with "body-thermocompensation" and according to reports by the owners not many can perform to the specifications (even with continuous wear).

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    ...I suspect any watch which leaves the factory with a custom but non-varying inhibition count (like the Autoquartz and maybe these Asians) tailored to that specific movement can meet these standards with similar wear-based compensation...
    I think, you're just lucky with your autoquartz.
    Staying within +/-10 seconds/year over the whole year (and the next year and so on...) even if the watch stays on the wrist for the whole time is an impossible task for the single 32kHz oscillator movement without electrical thermocompensation. You might run into the odd one that makes it but that is just an exception to the rule, in my opinion.
    Last edited by ppaulusz; May 16th, 2008 at 16:47.

Gents, it would be really great to try to keep this thread on a 'picture and snappy description' course. If you wish to discuss the relative merits of the 8J then would you mind opening a new thread.

Mind you, what would be even better is if you contributed some more pictures of the sexy movements that I know you both own...

Cheers,

Matt

Gents, it would be really great to try to keep this thread on a 'picture and snappy description' course. If you wish to discuss the relative merits of the 8J then would you mind opening a new thread.

Mind you, what would be even better is if you contributed some more pictures of the sexy movements that I know you both own...

Cheers,

Matt
    Matt, I could argue that at least we were discussing HEQ subject... but what would be the point?
    Enjoy the pictures !

[quote=ppaulusz;1012993]
    The Seiko 8F movements with a single 196kHz(!) oscillator are specified for +/-20 sec/year with "body-thermocompensation" and according to reports by the owners not many can perform to the specifications (even with continuous wear).
    In the Seiko shop here, I have been detailing my experience with my 8F32 Seiko. It had been running +15 sec/yr. I had the battery and cryshtal replaced by COSERV, and the accuracy went out the window: +30 sec/2 mos. So I sent it back to COSERV and they did unspecified "movement repair". Just got it back a couple of days ago, so I am still evaluating. But my 8F did work well within that +- 20sec/yr. Super watch for the money.

You Want Movements - You Get Movements!

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread of photographs of HEQ movements, non HEQ movements and uncertain movements.

I'm sure this will help to facilitate the discussion.

Don't be ashamed to use movement photos that you have used before but do explain why you thing that they are what they are.
    Seiko Movements

The original Seiko quartz movement. +- 5 sec/month. 1969

Seiko 9F62. Current vintage Seiko. +- 10 sec/yr.

Seiko 9443 Twin Quartz. +- 20 sec/yr.

Seiko 5S42. +- 20 sec/yr.

Seiko 8J81. +- 20 sec/yr.

Seiko 5E61. +- 10 sec/yr.

Seiko 8J41. +- 10 sec/yr.

Seiko 8N40. +- 20 sec/yr.

Seiko 8N41. +- 20 sec/yr.

Seiko 9531. +- 20 sec/yr.

Seiko 2J31. +- 20 sec/yr.

Seiko 4J41. +- 10 sec/yr.

Seiko 9581. +- 10 sec/yr.

Seiko 9539. +- 20 sec/yr.

Seiko 5E31. +-20 sec/yr.

All this talk of 8J thermocompensation made the battery in mine go eep..

So..

The Credor one comes witha little cover

It's now sporting a matching gold coloured Maxell battery - the watch counter in a supermarket two minutes away had one

Definitely not thermocompensated but an interesting movement:

Some Eco Drive Campanolas have display backs - for good reason too.
    Last edited by roba; May 17th, 2008 at 12:03. Reason: Added Campanola image

A lot of excellent material for our "Notable Movements" sticky.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information