WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Stolen in transit, Hanhart Pioneer Twin Control

795 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  wtma 
#1 ·
I ordered the watch from Niesen Uhren & Schmuck of Munich in mid November and paid for it through Paypal. I asked them to hold shipment until I returned home after December 1. They kindly did and communication from them was excellent. They paid for shipping through FedEx. I had to call back to remind them to ship the watch, it turned out my contact had been sick that day. I received a tracking number and followed it from Garching, to Munich to Frankfurt to Memphis, arriving on the 3rd. It sat in Memphis for a couple of days and the status said “Clearance Delay”. On the 5th I received a phone call from a FedEx Import Coordinator saying the “watch declaration” sheet was missing. I had him email the sheet to me, which I filled out and quickly returned. The watch was released later that day. It finally arrived at my local FedEx Office on Monday the 8th, where I had it held for pickup after spending the weekend in the local sorting facility. When I picked up the box, it appeared slightly damaged on the bottom, but it appeared to be still taped up and having done a lot of cargo flying including FedEx feeder work, I was not too concerned. When I opened the box and removed the bubble wrap, I could see that the black Hanhart box was badly damaged, the leather folder holding the watch had been roughly stuffed back in and the watch was missing. I looked more closely at the bottom of the box and saw clearly that the original brown packing tape had been neatly cut through and the box spread open like a rib cage so the thief could access the contents. The packaging was then stuffed back in and the bottom of the box taped over with clear tape. I walked back in to the FedEx store where I was given a number to call to make a claim.

I filed a missing item report with FedEx online and was contacted later for a description of the watch in case it turned up. I also notified Niesen. They said “the insurance is normally no problem” and asked for pictures and information which I promptly sent to them. They emailed again yesterday asking if I had received my money back yet. I have not. I am not sure if they tried to issue a refund to me through paypal but I have not received any notice.

I have the stamped guarantee card at least. It is a Hanhart Pioneer Twin Control, ref number 721.210, serial number 01157.

See less See more
#2 ·
My strongest suspicion is that the worksheet went missing when the watch was stolen either in Germany or upon arrival in Memphis. There is also a strong possibility that a worker had time over the weekend at my local sorting facility to get into the box. I am very disappointed, I had been looking forward to getting this watch for weeks and of course at this point I am out over $2500.

#3 ·
I'm so sorry to hear, that's such a big lost. I myself would love to have that watch in collection one day.
Seems like the insurance is your only hope, I wish they will sort this problem quickly.
Best of luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.