WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Authentic 1970 Seamaster Cosmic?

11K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Reno 
#1 ·
Hey Guys!

I've decided to get a watch to start a collection, a present for my first, of many, university qualifications. After looking at a range of models, including Steinhart, Fortis and a range of smaller producers, I came upon some Omega watches and was amazed. Subtle, refined with excellent quality craftsmanship.

I have to say, Omega and Fortis have got to be my favorite watches.

I have always had a soft spot for vintage watches, something that you can have, hold and use for quite some time and eventually pass down to your children. Timeless appeal. The history of an item speaks for itself.

Watchuseek is a great forum, best advice and no bashing\hocking of goods, which I've seen elsewhere bigtime. I've been looking around for a few watches to start a collection. I've seen a few classic watches around, with plenty on the Bay as you guys all call it, and was wondering if I could get some advice on a model that I really like.

It's labeled as a Seamaster Cosmic, 1970, 563 Cal Automatic Men's. It's got alot of light scratches. Pictures are attached. Do those tend to buff out? Is this legitimate? I haven't seen many other models with a cyclops over the date window, so I thought that was bizzare, but it didn't trigger anything else for my warning lights. I did a stack of google searches, but nothing really came up.

It's pretty much the perfect watch for what I wanted. Love the engineering and timelessness of mechanical watches. This one won't be my 'never take off' watch, but I will wear it to work, at least until I fill out the collection with a few more :)

I was looking at doing that, and maybe getting a black leather band for it, with white stitching.

http://www.omegablogger.com/archives/58

This gentlemen did something similar, and it really came out great.

Thanks a bunch guys!

God Bless!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Genuine 1967 Seamaster Cosmic 'monococ' ST 166.0026
Should be caliber number: 565
Very popular and one of the few Omegas with a 'cyclops'
Seems to be in good condition

Case : "barrel" shape (35 mm diameter), requires special tool "107" to be opened.
For leather straps of 19 mm lug-size or SS bracelet of ref. ST 1172/579.
International Collection : 1967-1975
Swiss retail price (1971) : CHF 350.- (on leather)
Later replaced by ST 166.0128
Also available in 14K gold-plated (20 mic.) with SS case back (LD or LE 166.0026, CHF 370.-), 14K gold-cap on stainless steel (CD 166.0026, CHF 450.-) or 18K solid gold with gold case back (BA, BB or BC 166.0026, CHF 980.- for yellow and pink gold versions and CHF 1'120.- for white gold version).

#3 ·
as Wytnucls posted the caliber is rather 565, than 563 but other than that it's a nice looking watch. Don't worry about that scratches, they can be buffed out easily by a watchmaker, it's gonna cost you some bucks though...and maybe in real life they don't look that bad;-)

anyways, it would be a great starter of a collection and maybe if you hang around here often something else will catch your attention to expand it:-d

oh, and WELCOME AMONG US:-!:-!

#5 ·
Nice watch ! Changing for a leather band is a good idea ! That's precisely what I've done this saturday on mine (actually I'm waiting for my watchmaker to receive the omega buckle, and a new crown too), I got a 'gold' alligator :p which absolutely enlights the watch...

This how it was before :

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.