WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

New model: Colt Skyracer

40K views 100 replies 60 participants last post by  Flip2Grail 
#1 ·
Got an email on this new model today: COLT SKYRACER - Breitling - Instruments for Professionals

Watch Analog watch Black Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Perfect timing as I'm looking for a SQ powered analog. I like the looks, no idea on price though - I emailed my usual provider and they are contacting their Breitling rep. Any thoughts from the group? I'm no Breitling expert, have only owned an Aerospace in the past. Curious about experiences with "Breitlight"? I like the darker, mottled look and supposedly lighter than titanium. How are other Breitlight models holding up? Also interesting to see the measurement scale on the strap, like you could use it as a ruler.

Cheers,
John

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like Breitling are after a piece of the lower end of the luxury market.

I'll be interested to see the price as it surely will be the cheapest men's Breitling you can get. At the moment I think that's the the Colt quartz on rubber.

I'd be tempted as I like the look and it suits being SQ. Plus its Breitling and has the best anti reflective coating. I like it but 45mm is too big for me.

Post some pics if you go for it!

#4 ·
It definately won't be be cheap, having in mind the price of Avenger Hurricaine ($8390) which is made from the same material. So maybe it will be not worth to pay so much money for a Breitling with modified ETA qartz inside. Moreover, those polimers (or carbon fibers on other brands) can't be reconditioned if damaged, unlike the SS.

#7 ·
Don't like the rubber strap, why a ruler?

Reactions: beached
#8 ·
I visited an AD over the weekend to checkout Breitlight in the flesh on the Hurricane. I liked it, very unusual, don't really know how to describe it. The mottled effect is impressive and it doesn't feel like plastic. AD said they doubt any pricing info will come before Basel. My guess is $4k ...

#15 ·
Sorry, I cant get over the plastic factor, especially for the high prices. I do not buy into the special polymer marketing, sorry. I know there are plastic firearms that perform well etc., I have a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm, that I really like but cannot accept it in a high end watch, Just my 2 cents.
So no problems in a real gun that can kill people, or a Boeing, but in a premium quartz watch..?

#16 ·
It looks exactly like what they use for Luminox and Trasers, which is also advertised as having all the properties of this material (scratch resistant, stronger than steel, lighter than titanium, etc.). I won't argue with all that about guns and airplanes and polymers and plastic, but it is simply too lightweight for me. I like a watch with substance, especially if it is a Breitling! In fact, I am wearing my titanium SMP today, and it is too light. That's why I generally pull out my Rolex or Breitling Colt or Aquaracer first. They have substance!

#18 · (Edited)
The only doubt I have is the ruler band. But that's easy fixed. This would look nice on a textile strap I think. Any clue about the prize yet?

Reactions: Ragna
#20 ·
Yeah, I love they market it as some high tech new technology. It is plastic and there are plenty of Co's making them and 1/8 of the price. The Swiss watch luxury market is all about brand recognition especially in a model like this.

How in the world is this a $2k watch considering what it is? It is a handsome watch but so are so many of the independent competition.

$899.00 and the premium for the name brand would be spot on for me.

#28 · (Edited)
Kind of intrigued. At least interested enough to see where market prices settle (grey, preowned, etc). At the end of the day this does less than my G-shock Rangeman at six times the price. Still...
As does a Steel Omega at 15 times the price. Or a Patek at 100 times the price. Or a gold Patek at 1,000 times the price. Etc. Reviews are up, timed for Baselworld. Cheaper than the cheapest steel version, and as it's more scratch resistant than steel, it makes an interesting entry-level material of similar weight to titanium, but hardier.

Also isn't there an AP made of this stuff?

#22 · (Edited)
Dropping weight on a watch that in SS weighs well over 150 grams is a great idea but I am not so sure Breitlight is a great idea for a watch in this price range. I suspect marring of the case is going to be significantly more of a problem than with SS, Ti, or Ceramic. Best thing Breitling could do to the Colt is use titanium, reduce the thickness to less than 11mm, keep the diameter at 41mm, provide a WR of 300 meters, and have a clasp design that enables changes in bracelet length without the need to remove the watch from your wrist. Doing this would create a watch the is not to large and not to small in diameter for most male wrists and weighs 100 grams +/- 10 grams depending on wrist size. The new Colt would then be as great a watch as this: Watch Details | certina. BTW, I own a blue Breitling Colt 41mm Stainless Steel SuperQuartz that rarely gets worn because the Certina is so much better. However, I would immediately buy a new Colt made with titanium that has physical characteristics similar to the Certina DS Action Precidrive Titanium I own.

#38 ·
Today I played with a Colt Skyracer. On the positive side I really liked the legibility and the extremely light weight (58 grams iirc) that compensates for the thickness. I could probably live with the Breitlight case but I hate the band. Silly map scales on a cheap feeling rubber band doesn't cut the mustard on even a low priced ($2000) Breitling. This watch needs a woven synthetic band with a quick adjusting depoyant buckle. If I can find the right band and buckle combination, I may buy this watch. I still think Breitling should have gone with a highly polished, hardened titanium case and bracelet or brushed finish, hardened titanium case with a band as described above. If they had, I would have bought another Breitling today.

#23 ·
My dealer confirmed the price to be 19950 SEK which is about 2200 USD. Not sure if a think it's "affordable". But somewhat tempting. It will be lik to see it in flesh!

Reactions: Ragna
#24 ·
I can see a lot of people sweating at the use of "plastic" in a "high-end" watch, but I suspect they have no problem with a fifteen-grand IWC or Omega whose case is made of mud :)

I also see that this Colt is cheaper than a luxury steel one, making it the entry-level Breitling.

The material isn't to my taste either but it is supposed to be more scratch-resistant than steel. A G-Shock sure isn't scratch-resistant in my experience.. anyway, have to wait until someone owns one and tries it out, which isn't going to be on this forum I suspect!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.