WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

my new Citizen Automatic Chronograph

8K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Martin BH 
#1 ·
Hi,

What do you think?

I don't know much about it but love the dial.

See less See more
#9 ·
Hi 3ps, I mainly collect Citizen Automatic Chronographs. To see if this is original, the model number in the case-back should be 67-9151. This is one of the hard-to-find models, the octagon-shaped chronograph. They also come out with dominant blue and white dials. I have this one also but in blue. The white is the hardest to find.

There is also an octagon shaped bullhead-type chronograph that is easier to find (67-9356). They come out in black and white dials originally. Despite having the same shape, the casing of your watch is smaller than the octagon bullhead. Citizen didn't just pattern their casings' sizes after each other.

Its movement is the 8110. It came out in 1970 as the fourth earliest automatic chronograph movement. It has a frequency of 28,800 beats per hour (bph), nearly chronometer grade and just second to Zenith's El Primero with 30,000 bph. This was the first automatic chronograph in January 1969 and became the standard of automatic chronographs of years to come. The 8110 has a sister movement, the single sub-dial 8100. According to my watchmaker, these two movements are easier to service. We're also in Seiko-Citizen country so we got a lot of spare parts for these 8110 and 8100 models. Citizen unfortunately stopped making watches with 8110 and 8100 in 1980.

What I like about Citizen Automatic Chronographs is their movements (8110 and 8100), their designs and their value-for-money. I also collect the cool different bracelets that held them in their time.

#10 ·
wow, that's wild...I keep feeling more respect for Citizen, plugging along with excellent customer service while other companies would rather shoot themselves in the foot.

#15 ·
Hi 3PS, movement's nice and fresh. Right model number. Also manufactured October of 1975. Like Seiko, the first two digits of Citizen automatic chronographs of the 70s indicate manufacturing date. 5 is for 1975, 0 is October (N is November, D is December). The bracelet I think is new, but personally, if it blends with the watch, it's no issue or problem to me. I even put leather straps on some of my Citizen chronographs. I have a lot of Citizen bracelets from the 70s and I am not certain which one was the particular bracelet for the 67-9151. On my blue one, I placed a 70s chronograph bracelet. The original one when I bought it looks like the one you have. It looks "executive-looking" and I wanted a sporty, toughie-looking bracelet. 'will post pics later. Can't find my camera right now.

Also, you know from your pics, I think I know which seller you bought this from. That white mat under the watch is very familiar. Did you buy this in eBay from a power seller in the Philippines. I think you bought this from clm or apol. Most of these guys are watchmakers restoring 70s Seikos and Citizens. I know some of them. They're reliable and fanatics too like me. Anyway, it's just a guess. You got yourself one the hardest to find, and the dial and movement are still good.

#17 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the updated info.... even better as Oct 1975 is my birthday :)
I am happy with the bracelet on this. It is new, but I think it is a nice match.

You are right about the seller, it was clm. TBH I am a little wary about the watches that come from there, but only because I am into originality and don't want dials, hands and casebacks all from different watches. I also look out for pitting or corrosion around the movement.

But this one looked good and I am expecting many enjoyble years from it!

#19 ·
Hi 3ps. These are the octagon Citizen automatic chronographs I mentioned. 'forgive the dull pics. My blue 67-9151 is in the middle of the two 67-9356 bullheads. It doesn't have the hexagon sub-dials yours have but round sub-dials.

We're influenced by Chinese culture here, and anything eight-sided or octagon-shaped is considered lucky. It's because 8 is the only number you write that ends up pointing up (signifies prosperity). Anyway, the chronos are also shaped like pakwas. They are octagon-shaped designed wood with mirrors in the middle that you hang in front of your house or unlucky sides of the house based on feng shui to ward of bad luck and evil spirits. So wearing one of these chronos is like wearing a pakwa. 'hopefully, it will get us lucky, hehe.

Also below are the different bracelets of Citizen automatic chronographs from the 70s. These guys are due for a chemical bath to remove the stains and rust. The black one is kind of rare. It came from a 67-9071, the only square Citizen automatic chronograph. They came out in yellow and green dials. It's kind of like a rally strap with the black leather faded off leaving only a gray cloth material. I shared this in the Straps Forum also. 'will have this restored from a shoes and bags guy since leather is his expertise.

When you get your watch, you can wind the crown clockwise to jump-start the automatic 8110 movement. Pull up the crown two notches to set the time. Pull up the crown one notch to set the day/date. To set the date, rotate the crown counterclockwise. To set the day, push the 4 o'clock pusher.

Attachments

#22 ·
Good to know you got it already. Yeah, you can shake the watch to start it. As I've mentioned before you can also wind it up clockwise to start it too if it doesn't immediately start after shaking. Pull up the crown two notches to set the time. Pull it up once and turn it counterclockwise to set the date, and push the 4 o'clock pusher to set the day. The two o'clock pusher starts and stops the stopwatch. The 4 o'clock resets it back to zero. Have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.