WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Project 300: Dial and case design

117K views 269 replies 34 participants last post by  Yao 
#1 · (Edited)
August 18, 2011: Size question and discussion.

Background information

The original size advertised was:

Diameter: 41.75-42.00 mm
Length (end of lug to lug): 47.50mm

These original specifications were based on some old measurements that I had taken from a military issue Seamaster 300 that I owned and sold long ago. The diameter I have listed above may have been based on a diagonal measurement of the case from 2 pm to 8 pm, which is my best guess as to explain the discrepancy with the figures listed below.

Based on a closer study the civilian Watchco SM300 that I bought as a reference for this project the SM300 watch measured the following:

Diameter: 40.40 mm
Length (end of lug to lug): 47.95 mm

The case I am using is one with an SLN insert and not a 60/70s case body, or at least not a 60/70s bezel, which featured tritium. As I reviewed this sample I felt that the watch should be closer to the 42.00 mm in diameter originally advertised in the pre-order. However based on the measurements of the sample watch this would mean that the watch should be increased in length to 50.00 mm to keep the proportions of the watch the same.

After feedback received from a number of forumers and customers we are here to revisit my decision. We have three sizes we can choose from:

Size: A
Diameter: 42.00 mm
Length (end of lug to lug): 49.50 - 50.00 mm

Size: B
Diameter: 41.75 mm
Length (end of lug to lug): 49.00 - 49.55 mm

Size: C
Diameter: 41.25 mm
Length (end of lug to lug): 48.50 - 48.95 mm

I will need a small amount of wiggle room on the length to get the proportions of the case just right.

First let me know what you guys think of the options. Assuming the options are "reasonable" I will put together two surveys. One for the Plankowners, which will be done in private, and one for everyone else interested in the project, which I will post on WUS. The one option that is off the table would be to keep the watch exactly the same as the original. The watch at the very least needs to be distinguishable from the original piece by size so as to prevent more fake military SM300s from showing up on the market.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for the input Ron. Please note that we are just determining whether the options for size currently cover the range options that people were considering.

I just wanted to make that clear so that we get your input on the survey I will be e-mailing to Plankowners later. That is where the votes will count for real.

#5 ·
That's understood, Bill. The range of all 3 options is fine with me and very much in line with what I was expecting / hoping for. I should have said that explicitly, but I guess I was to eager to get my personal preference in :-x I will repeat the same once I receive the survey.

Looking forward to seeing this one take shape |>

Ron

#6 ·
Bill,
Thank you for the update. I will wait for my survey. Guys take some time to think about how the watch is going to wear. The chunky modern divers have high lugs and tend to gap on my 6.75 wrists while my Seiko 6139 helmet melts right into it. I think this case will be in the middle. And while 50mm is a larger watch it should wear a bit smaller. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Chris

#8 ·
A Speedmaster Pro is my biggest watch so size C would be most soothing. I'm having uneasy visions of the 300 ending up on the WUS sales forum because it's too big for my 6.75" (on a good day) wrist:

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#14 ·
A Speedmaster Pro is my biggest watch so size C would be most soothing. I'm having uneasy visions of the 300 ending up on the WUS sales forum because it's too big for my 6.75" (on a good day) wrist:

View attachment 495701
The Project 300 will end up wearing even smaller because the dial will be substantially smaller than the Speedy. I have both watches here so I know what you mean. The reference 300 I have here has very similar measurements to the Speedy but wears much smaller.

#9 ·
I know MKII has often been criticized for it lack of consumer communication. I think that this sticky shows the opposite. Name me one (other) watchmaker that will discuss the actual size of the watch-to-be with the customers before starting the working on the final design. Thanks Bill!

I think that all things said in other posting apply for me as well. I'll will wait for the plankowner's email from Bill.

(Nearly Friday afternoon overhere, so: have a great weekend!)

Menno

#10 ·
well, my belief is that if another watchmaker created a pre-paid watch, then all the specs would be approved beforehand, or he wouldnt get anyone to prepay. since the original specs changed considerably, I dont see this as an optional extra (setting up this sticky) but more as a must..

#17 · (Edited)
Ah, good; I guess we can probably assume that the project is going forward at this point, Bill?

Since this is also the Dial design thread, I've taken the opportunity to mock up a number of the popular name suggestions (as well as others that I perosnally like) from the other thread, with variations of typeface and dial elements. We can use these to help establish preferences like typeface style (script, sans serif, etc), size, and positioning, as well as logo design, marker style, and misc elements (e.g. Swiss Made).

For the base, I took a picture of my Precista PRS-14 and modified the elements where it diverges from the original (bezel lume pip, for instance) and replaced the dial with an original vector overlay to match the SM300 dial.

I used the Mk II wordmark from the website. The typeface for AUTOMATIC is a modified raster of Futura, which emulates closely the original Omega typeface (including flat-top As).

Here's crowd favorite "Pheon" in script, with circle-Y and big triangle. This and the 12-on-12 version below is my favorite.

And with 12-at-12

With Circle-L.

In a sans serif font instead

My suggestion: "Sublitoral".

In sans-serif.

"Trident"

"Project 300"

No-name.

So, my preference is for a script typeface for the name, with circle-Y symbol, and both big triangle and 12-at-12 dial options. The other elements closely emulate the original SM300's design, and I think we should retain those.

#20 ·
I think that your mock ups (am I allowed to call them like that? - Is it the proper English term?) are fantastic! Imho, you're a wizzard! I agree with you on the 12-12 dial, with the 'Y' and I love the name in 'script' (Pheon being my favorite - for obvious reason).

Thank you!

Menno

#24 ·
Ah, I'll have to try to put together some other script and sans-serif variations then. I think that the script that I'm using now is closer in style to the Breitling Superpocean Heritage dial script than the Seamaster one; nice, but a little different. I'll play around with it once I get my desktop unpacked. "Swiss Made" is, naturally, Helvetica.

Do people like the MkII logo with AUTOMATIC below? I think it's a pretty close approximation of the SM300.

#25 ·
Question for Bill: Do you have an estimate of the dial size of the various case size options? Am I right in that the diameter of the case is the diameter of the outer most part of the bezel?

My EZM1 has a bezel diameter of 41.3mm and lug-tip-to-tip length of 47.5mm and wears pretty medium sized on my 7" wrist. Given the considerable width (depth?) of the bezel on the SM300, I think I might prefer it on the larger side, either 41.75mm or 42mm. Estimating the dial diameter from ASRSPR's mockups, I think it would be around 29.2mm for the A (42mm) option and around 28.5 for the (41.25mm) option. Even 29.2 is pretty small, I estimate the EZM is just around 29mm or so.

I really love the mockups ASRSPR, very, very well done! Just imagining this watch with a flat sapphire bezel has me quivering with anticipation!

I like MKII logo, not sure about the "automatic" beneath it; it might look cleaner with just MKII. I love the circle-Y and am somewhat ambivalent about the cursive font. Definitely not a fan of the san serif model name font combination or the circle-L. Pheon 300 looks pretty good as does Project 300. The "SWISS MADE" should be in Helvetica of course. I'm not interested in the 12-at-12 dial at all although I can see why people would be interested in one. I'd love to see different color options on the name. Having the name in red might be too similar to other watches, but perhaps a strong blue?

I'd like to see option B for the case size, perhaps even A. My main concern abou option C is that the dial might be too small.

#26 ·
ASRSPR said:
Here's crowd favorite "Pheon" in script, with circle-Y and big triangle.
It's funny how the Project 300 Watch Name thread works its way into this one, but then, as someone said before, they go hand in hand and can not be treated and considered independently.

I like this particular dial lay-out as is and the Pheon name is actually growing on me. I have to ask, though, does the broad-arrow reference still make sense or do we use it because it sounds cool?
Personally, I would prefer to replace 300 by CCC and the name of the watch would be pronounced as Pheon tri Sea That's pretty cool in my book.

RonB

#28 ·
Thanks for your insight-

I have to admit that the Pheon 300 is starting to gain some internal acceptance with me, although Project 300 remains my favorite name. When I first heard Pheon, I had a thought that if the watch ended up with that name, I'd probably drop out - But now I don't think so.

Pheon may apply though, because of the big triangle motif, which resembles the head of a broad arrow.

#29 ·
Looking at the mockup again, I think the Circle-Y could be a bit smaller, perhaps 20% or 25%? The MKII logo could be a bit smaller also. I also like the idea of having some color in the text of the name, perhaps red, blue, or gold/golden-yellow. I believe the RN uses gold thread in their badging and it would be a subtle nod in their direction.

#30 ·
I like the fully extended 6-marker! Also experimenting with a variation of the Pheon script without the closed left-side loop on the P.

Also, here's something slightly different: blunted big triangle to match the bezel lume pip. I don't know how I feel about this, actually. Gives it a slightly more modern look.

#33 ·
For instance, the most obvious ways to do this that I can think of:

Red second hand

Some combination of orange hands:

I imagine that different hand sets would be the easiest variations for Bill to offer. Nonetheless, I'm not really convinced that any of these look viable.

My top choice is still my current "reference" design: White SM300 style hands, modified Pheon script, extended 6-marker, and original sized logo and circle-Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.