1960's Rectangular Vostok with 2209 gaining >15 minutes per day
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fangsus

Thread: 1960's Rectangular Vostok with 2209 gaining >15 minutes per day

Question 1960's Rectangular Vostok with 2209 gaining >15 minutes per day

This is my first post here, but I've been collecting Soviet watches for about 2 years now, and only recently begun working on them. I've done plenty of precision work in the past in various fields, but watches are new to me. I've fixed a handful of Amphibias, but mainly easy adjustments with little mechanical issues. I picked this watch up about a month ago for very cheap, and it's beautiful if not a bit small. It runs fine, winds easy, but gains time like none other. My main leads from previous research are a gunked hairspring or magnetism. My question is pretty straightforward I suppose. How do I go about determining the correct direction to head in? I feel 15-30 minutes of gained time is significant. I can post movement pictures but seeing as it's my first post I don't believe I can. I will link a photo from mroatman's page as it's nearly the same watch but with a stainless or plated case instead of gold. Any lead in the direction I need to head is most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

https://mroatman.wixsite.com/watches-of-the-ussr/vostok?lightbox=dataItem-ihjx2e4x
    The watch in question, only mine has an identical case in silver color.
    Slm643 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fangsus View Post
    This is my first post here, but I've been collecting Soviet watches for about 2 years now, and only recently begun working on them. I've done plenty of precision work in the past in various fields, but watches are new to me. I've fixed a handful of Amphibias, but mainly easy adjustments with little mechanical issues. I picked this watch up about a month ago for very cheap, and it's beautiful if not a bit small. It runs fine, winds easy, but gains time like none other. My main leads from previous research are a gunked hairspring or magnetism. My question is pretty straightforward I suppose. How do I go about determining the correct direction to head in? I feel 15-30 minutes of gained time is significant. I can post movement pictures but seeing as it's my first post I don't believe I can. I will link a photo from mroatman's page as it's nearly the same watch but with a stainless or plated case instead of gold. Any lead in the direction I need to head is most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

https://mroatman.wixsite.com/watches...aItem-ihjx2e4x
    The watch in question, only mine has an identical case in silver color.
    Welcome to the forum Comrade! You are on the right track. Do you have a compas or an iPhone (not sure if Droid can be used). For iPhone, free app Lepsi. You can check if magnetized and rule it out (or not).

Then you would want to service the watch (clean/oil at least). You can do just minimal invasions that may yield an acceptable results. Like take off just the balance, clean it, oil and put it back. Balance is indeed probably a main reason for the speedy watch. Good luck!

Re: 1960's Rectangular Vostok with 2209 gaining >15 minutes per day

Thank you for the welcome, I will try the app out and see what it shows and then dig out my compass. If that is not the case I will follow the advice of cleaning and oiling the balance. Again, thank you so much for the prompt reply!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It would be very helpful to get a close up picture of the movement, in particular of the stationary balance with the hairspring; the most likely cause of your problem or at least the first place to look.

To upload your picture or better pictures;
    On the righthand bottom in the reply-box click "Go Advanced".
    To add picture(s), click "Manage Attachments" and in the new screen "add Files"; then "browse" and "upload". Once you are done, press "Done".
    You can preview (and correct) your post before posting.

The more clear and sharper your pictures, the better we can see and perhaps spot something

I have a few of these and that sort of error seems like a hairspring problem. This has happened to me a few times after a journey through the post, even to my grail Vympel but it is now <10 secs a day after realigning the spring. Also, the spring is thin so it can easily stick together if not clean.

Obviously, check for magnetism first as this can happen to watch which has travelled through the post.

I do alot of service of 2209, third commom issue is low amplitude

As Russian member stated about what casused the issue, which is correct, also I like to point out that it could be the amplitude is low, low amplitude makes the watch gaining faster. This will required a fully service of the whole movement especially both end stone cap jewels and pallet fork exit stone.

Mat
    My advice- buy a watch that pleases you. Don't let anyone judge or tell you what to wear. Good cheap and expensive watches are no different between them. Both still can tell the time.

Thread Information