Admiring Russian/Soviet watches found online - Page 13
Like Tree498Likes

Thread: Admiring Russian/Soviet watches found online

Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Re: Admiring Russian/Soviet watches found online

Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post
    Hah, yeah, I noticed that :D
    A word often used for a (fancier) watch in Russian and often misused, of course. Standard Ruglish in this case.
    mroatman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfox View Post
    Well, this is only matter of political perception. In "contrare" I can remind Yugoslavia, for example.
    Consider this statement, if Tutima made it, and consider if you'd buy a watch from them: "Leningrad watch is inspired by a 1940s vintage model. This timepiece is ideally suited for relaxed conversation with friends about world reorganization and meeting with fuhrer in the Reichstag."

Not getting into politics (I refuse to do so here), this is some pathetically bad trolling on Raketa's part.

Quote Originally Posted by mike.s View Post
    A word often used for a (fancier) watch in Russian and often misused, of course. Standard Ruglish in this case.
    Mmmm, maybe I'm not an expert in Ruglish, but chronograph is not used as a synonymous to a fancier watch in Russian.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Consider this statement, if Tutima made it, and consider if you'd buy a watch from them: "Leningrad watch is inspired by a 1940s vintage model. This timepiece is ideally suited for relaxed conversation with friends about world reorganization and meeting with fuhrer in the Reichstag."

Not getting into politics (I refuse to do so here), this is some pathetically bad trolling on Raketa's part.
    I hope that our conversation is not crossing the red line of politics at this forum, and I try to be cautious and gentle. And it would be more history than politics.

You can blame me being too imperialistic chauvinist, but in this particular case with Tutima I must remind that Russia twice in history conquered Germany/Prussia and particularly Berlin (1945, 1760). So I would consider it like slightly arrogant, not more. And not a problem to buy it for me, it would be even like some irony: you can make any plans of world reorganization with this watch, but still we'll wear it as a trophey. More dangerous that you trying to equate Putin and fuhrer, what is, you know, Godwin's law and all that.

In particular case of Raketa, I can't see direct Crimea case pointing. For me it's pointing for long lasting Russian idea (which was disclosed at least in 2007, ten years ago) of multy-polar world were interests of all nations are considered (in contrare to mono-polar world that was established since 1991). I also whant remind that in middle of 19-th century Russia was called "gendarme of Europe", and we know that it's not working, and we, as the nations of whole world must avoid such situation in whole world scale (in case of uni-polar world).

In particular case of Raketa, I can't see direct Crimea case pointing.
    The watch is named "Yalta".

As far as I'm aware, Yalta refers to the resort city on the southern coast of the Crimean Peninsula? To me at least, that's a pretty clear connection.

But maybe there are other meanings for "Yalta" and someone can disambiguate.

The watch is named "Yalta".

As far as I'm aware, Yalta refers to the resort city on the southern coast of the Crimean Peninsula? To me at least, that's a pretty clear connection.

But maybe there are other meanings for "Yalta" and someone can disambiguate.
    Yes, but it was named Yalta in 2011 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY0YHOlqRaQ pretty before the whole situation with Crimea. And for me it more resembles the historical meeting of allies, - Stalin, Roosevelt, Churchill in Yalta in 1945, as for the Raketa - «.аке‚а» п€азднƒе‚ 50 ле‚ легенда€ной модели «Ял‚а»! | .ƒсские ‡ас‹: .аке‚а / Russian Watches: Raketa - "New model Yalta keeps the principal design of the original model: a peculiar division of the dial into 3 parts, which reminds of the famous 3 leaders summit in Yalta in 1945." At which also was discussed new world organization, so the pointing can be (and I strongly belive that it's so) for this meeting.

Also I need remind that such design was unofficially called Yalta from 1970s.

So it's only matter of stereotypical perception, as I said before.
    Last edited by oldfox; May 12th, 2017 at 11:03.

Yes, but it was named Yalta in 2011
    Ah, I didn't realize that.

As a native English speaker and member of Generation Y, the phrase "relaxed conversation about world reorganization" strikes me as incredibly bizarre, regardless of context. I see the same tagline was used in the video from 2011.

So maybe we can attribute what Mike perceived as trolling to a less-than-ideal translation from Russian to English.

As a native English speaker and member of Generation Y, the phrase "relaxed conversation about world reorganization" strikes me as incredibly bizarre, regardless of context.
    But it's the reality. The world is reorganized almost not by the people, and if by the people - it's still world reorganization.

And additional detail - at the video Stalin in the Yalta meeting is replaced by tsar Nikolay II, and the all three commentators are wondering why.

As a native English speaker and member of Generation Y, the phrase "relaxed conversation about world reorganization" strikes me as incredibly bizarre, regardless of context. I see the same tagline was used in the video from 2011.
    It is certainly not something you'd say everyday, but considering that Churchill was at Yalta and he was fond of doing geopolitics in his bathtub while smoking a cigar and drinking whisky, I would say "relaxed conversation about world reorganisation" probably did take place....
    oldfox and herdingwetcats like this.

From official site: "Yalta watch is inspired by a 1960s vintage model. This timepiece is ideally suited for relaxed conversation with friends about world reorganization and meeting with president in the Kremlin." I really don't like the Crimean trolling by a Russian company. Really, really don't like it.
    Maybe I'm showing my age here but I have no idea how this could possibly be interpreted as referencing anything other than the Yalta Conference. I figured I may have missed some recent events, but no, if you search for "crimea meeting" on Google, literally the first result is the Yalta Conference.

I think it takes reading 15 layers deep into something that isn't there to try to twist that to reference anything other than the world famous Yalta Conference of 1945.

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread Information