Admiring Russian/Soviet watches found online - Page 14
Like Tree498Likes

Thread: Admiring Russian/Soviet watches found online

Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Re: Admiring Russian/Soviet watches found online

Quote Originally Posted by oldfox View Post
    Mmmm, maybe I'm not an expert in Ruglish, but chronograph is not used as a synonymous to a fancier watch in Russian.
    Kinda. The word "хронометр" was often used interchangeably with "watch" or "fancier watch" in Russian, and, I think, is still used. I have seen it translated as "chronograph" before, albeit inaccurately, of course.

Gentlemen, sorry, I will not get involved in political discourse or discussion here. I am sure a number of explanations can be brought forward, including Yalta conference (I did learn a fair bit about both Yalta and Tehran, being interested in WW2 and history surrounding it). But, to me, what Raketa wrote is pure and unadulterated trolling, no matter how much of it can be explained away. Somehow it doesn't take a lot of reading between the lines got me to see that, that was the very first and immediate reaction. And "meeting with president in Kremlin..." Is that also about Yalta conference?

The Russian description from their page, http://www.raketa.com/new-raketa-yalta/ has the following: "Модель часов «Ялта» создана для настоящих лидеров, способных принимать волевые решения в непринужденной беседе с друзьями о разделении мира. Они прекрасно подойдут для визита в Кремль, а также станут идеальным аксессуаром как для его резидентов, так и для тех, кто собирается ими стать." I hate translating, but it says: "The Yalta watch is made for real leaders, capable of making willful (forceful) decisions during casual conversation with friends about dividing the wold. The watch would be a great fit for Kremlin visitors as well as its residents or those who plan to become Kremlin residents". Does that sound any better? Slightly different, yes (hey I offered them to translate, as I've mentioned, many years ago). Does it still sound like trolling? Less so than original, more in reference to Yalta conference, yes, but still sounds odd to me.
    Last edited by mike.s; May 12th, 2017 at 20:45.

Quote Originally Posted by mike.s View Post
    Kinda. The word "хронометр" was often used interchangeably with "watch" or "fancier watch" in Russian, and, I think, is still used. I have seen it translated as "chronograph" before, albeit inaccurately, of course.
    You know, I'm Russian, but such usage was maybe in 1930, maybe in 1950, but not now.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kittycat View Post
    It is certainly not something you'd say everyday, but considering that Churchill was at Yalta and he was fond of doing geopolitics in his bathtub while smoking a cigar and drinking whisky, I would say "relaxed conversation about world reorganisation" probably did take place....
    Not whisky, my friend, common knowledge is that he preferred Armenian cognac ;)

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

But, to me, what Raketa wrote is pure and unadulterated trolling, no matter how much of it can be explained away. Somehow it doesn't take a lot of reading between the lines got me to see that, that was the very first and immediate reaction. And "meeting with president in Kremlin..." Is that also about Yalta conference?
    Why would you assume any reference to the Kremlin is automatically some grand nefarious Russian trolling? The Yalta Conference is one of the most famous landmark political events in the entire history of the world (the watch is called "Yalta" after all), and the Kremlin is the most important political symbol of Russia. The only nefarious grand trolling is coming from your own imagination. Should Russia refrain from using the term "Kremlin", it's proud house of government, simply because it might invoke people's wild imagination about what that symbol can stand for?

With all due respect, trying to wildly connect the dots in this short description concerning the two most important political institutions of the Russian government to come up with some nefarious malicious trolling intention reminds me a bit of this image:

oldfox likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mvmt View Post
    Maybe I'm showing my age here but I have no idea how this could possibly be interpreted as referencing anything other than the Yalta Conference.
    I must also be showing my age (and ignorance) when I say that this connection was totally lost on me, and the only thing that came to mind was the annexation of Crimea -- a different kind of world reorganization, let's say. Thanks all for the clarification.

I hate translating, but it says: "The Yalta watch is made for real leaders, capable of making willful (forceful) decisions during casual conversation with friends about dividing the wold. The watch would be a great fit for Kremlin visitors as well as its residents or those who plan to become Kremlin residents". Does that sound any better?
    Actually, I find that translation far more palatable. It makes a clear nod to the Yalta Con​ference and the world leaders involved, whereas the original English translation and its (IMO) poor use of the word "relaxed" makes it sound as if I might talk to my friends about world reorganization as casually as I talk about the weather.

In Raketa's English translation, the chosen words seem to trivialize a serious matter. That may not have been the intention at all, but for a native English speaker -- or rather, for this native English speaker -- that was the effect. It's unfortunately coincidental that this watch also happens to be called the name of a famous Crimean city, and is sold by a Russian company, as that can (and did) lead to the misunderstandings above (unless you have the help of a friendly native Russian speaker who can dig up old YouTube videos and school you with a history lesson 🤓). Probably if this was an HMT, I wouldn't have been so hasty to jump to conclusions.

But regardless, I'd still say that catchphrase "relaxed conversation about world reorganisation" is not well-translated into English. At best, it just sounds odd, badly in need of context. The Russian reads much better.

Or maybe it's just me. Yeehaw and all that.

I wonder what the original design was referred to by Raketa. I somehow doubt it was "Yalta". I've heard it referred to as "atom" but I don't know if that came from Raketa.

Sorry, I will not get into politics here. But this is how I read the original English description. Seeing the other side of the coin (both in US and in Ukraine) tends to bring very different world view.
    Last edited by mike.s; May 13th, 2017 at 05:36.

Wooooow, look at this sucker. Definitely the precursor to the following generation of models.

USSR early amphibian watch Vostok Neptune
    mroatman and herdingwetcats like this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Arizone View Post
    Wooooow, look at this sucker. Definitely the precursor to the following generation of models.

USSR early amphibian watch Vostok Neptune
    It's franken

Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread Information