Admiring Russian/Soviet watches found online - Page 22
Like Tree498Likes

Thread: Admiring Russian/Soviet watches found online

Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Re: Admiring Russian/Soviet watches found online

Name:  111.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  101.7 KB
    oldfox likes this.

Admiring Russian/Soviet watches found online

$1250, with blitz of $2500

Last edited by oldfox; June 10th, 2017 at 07:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizone

Quote Originally Posted by oldfox

Two great pieces, but while pics are just fine, IMHO links to live (running) auctions should be removed because it not only is forbidden by WUS rules, but is also somehow "unfair" towards those who might have buying plans on an advertised item and could find themselves involved in a bidding war....

My 2 cents
    oldfox and elsoldemayo like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_time View Post
    Two great pieces, but while pics are just fine, IMHO links to live (running) auctions should be removed because it not only is forbidden by WUS rules, but is also somehow "unfair" towards those who might have buying plans on an advertised item and could find themselves involved in a bidding war....

My 2 cents
    I nor anyone I know is affiliated with the auction in order to benefit from the exposure. It is being shared merely as a courtesy to those here that may be interested. This alone is not against the rules as I understand. Anyone bidding is already risking competition because the auction is already public.
    oldfox and kev80e like this.

In any case I removed the link, if smbd interested - pm me.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Arizone View Post
    I nor anyone I know is affiliated with the auction in order to benefit from the exposure. It is being shared merely as a courtesy to those here that may be interested. This alone is not against the rules as I understand. Anyone bidding is already risking competition because the auction is already public.

WUS Forum's rule #6 states: "Linking to live auctions is permitted for discussion purposes only."

A while back we had a thread about a rather hard-to-obtain, new Neptune SE offered on eBay for an asking price 5 or 6 times higher than the tag price; being the discussion focused on whether the seller's behaviour was legally/ethically/morally/whatsoever acceptable, link to the relevant (still alive) auction was absolutely necessary.

But as you say, in most of this thread's cases the nature of posting is to send a general heads-up.

That courtesy would be fine, but on the other hand we all love to find, from time to time, some little gem badly photographed (Mr. Blurrypic rules...), or badly described, or simply lost in a sea of offers, and patiently wait for the auction end in hope of being the only person who noticed it and grab it for a bargain price.

In such case, you'll agree that a warning to "anybody potentially interested" might be a mess for "somebody concretely determined", no matter if the auction is already public by nature. (*)

Most recent personal case:

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  202.3 KB

Please look around and check what is the average asking price for 6-seconds stopwatches (whenever you find them, which is not that easy by itself).
    For the record, I've been the only bidder and will take it home for roughly 8 Euros + shipping: now just imagine how happy would I have been seeing it "under the spot" here....

(*) Buy-It-Now listings are not auctions and IMHO could always be shown without limitations.
    elsoldemayo and oldfox like this.

Not posting a link to an auction doesn't help. Making a reverse search based on a photography is just a click away, it's all it takes to find it within seconds. If that fails, a model name, description, etc. will usually be enough, although it's harder and might take more time.

I understand the sentiment though. Been there, done that. But asking that the posts here should only be made after any kind of auction or sale has already concluded can only rely on each individual sense of what's proper and what isn't. It's public information, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by LightDot View Post
    Not posting a link to an auction doesn't help. Making a reverse search based on a photography is just a click away, it's all it takes to find it within seconds. If that fails, a model name, description, etc. will usually be enough, although it's harder and might take more time.
    I wouldn't be that sure... for instance, Oldfox's watch doesn't come from eBay, and an ordinary Google search would likely return nothing -unless you usually type in Cyrillic.

I might be wrong though, so we could do a little test here -can you perform a reverse search from this image and find the original ad (currently online) within seconds?

Name:  1SWF.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  320.8 KB

But asking that the posts here should only be made after any kind of auction or sale has already concluded can only rely on each individual sense of what's proper and what isn't. It's public information, after all.
    Whoever wrote or asked that

In no part of my posts did I suggest to delay publishing images -nothing against posting them here at any time.

I only wished to point out WUS' rules, which refer to live auction format only (that is, not "any kind of sale") and don't leave much space for individual readings about what's allowed and what's not, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfox View Post
    $1250, with blitz of $2500
    Another one from Dmitry, a general's chonograph from 1941:

It seems Dmitry has sold much of his collection over the past few months. I think he was known somewhat as the Mark Gordon of Russia. It feels weird after following these watches for so long to see both Mark and Dmitry sell off their collections. End of an era.
    kev80e, elsoldemayo and oldfox like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_time View Post
    That courtesy would be fine, but on the other hand we all love to find, from time to time, some little gem badly photographed (Mr. Blurrypic rules...), or badly described, or simply lost in a sea of offers, and patiently wait for the auction end in hope of being the only person who noticed it and grab it for a bargain price.
    So your motivations for not wanting to include links to running auctions are the off chance you can get a better deal ... ? You don't own or have exclusive rights to the "mr blurrypic" auctions you happen to find. Those are public knowledge, whether on Russian web sites, Etsy or Ebay. The internet is public.

I can see how live running auctions could be relevant to some of the discussions happening in this thread, but I of course leave it to the moderation team and individual posters to use their best judgement. Making sure Mr. Straight Time gets a good deal on a watch, however, I don't think should factor in to the decision making process.

Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread Information