Like Tree495Likes

Thread: Admiring Russian/Soviet watches found online

Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast
    24h

Re: Admiring Russian/Soviet watches found online

Name:  Sekonda.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  718.7 KB

My YouTube Channel for watch modding and I​nstagram for (mostly) Russian watches

Is it just me, it's because of light reflections, or is it a rounded lugs case?

If so, then this would most likely be a late redial of a much earlier example (a Cyrillic Strela model perhaps?) -in other words, a franken.

24h

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_time View Post
    Is it just me, it's because of light reflections, or is it a rounded lugs case?

If so, then this would most likely be a late redial of a much earlier example (a Cyrillic Strela model perhaps?) -in other words, a franken.
    I would hope it is original for $1,300+ although they do state "authenticity guaranteed".
    Who knows if the lugs are rounded...the other images on their website are extremely small so you can't see much.

My YouTube Channel for watch modding and I​nstagram for (mostly) Russian watches

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 24h View Post
    I would hope it is original for $1,300+ although they do state "authenticity guaranteed".
    Who knows if the lugs are rounded...the other images on their website are extremely small so you can't see much.
    Looks like a beveled edge case to me. In any case, $1,300 for a Sekonda 3017 is nuts, no matter how good of condition.

EDIT: Maybe not a fully beveled edge -- on further review, it struck me just how rare those truly are. https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/ea...a-2619354.html

Only Comrade Ham2's extremely low serial number 1959 Strela has the fully beveled lugs in this thread. Additionally, my 1959 Strela (sn 00930) has the narrow, but not beveled, lugs. I'm thinking that the likelihood of someone stumbling across a fully beveled case, and using it as a replacement, are quite low.

Between the "slightly rounded" and fully square lugs, it is almost impossible to discern by photograph, I think.

Name:  Strela Lugs.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  146.0 KB
    Last edited by bpmurray; January 4th, 2019 at 20:42.
    24h likes this.

I might be mistaken, but the beveled edge style (as named above) isn't the rarest of the three; just saying, in my humble collection alone I have 4 examples with it and, altough for sure I wouldn't describe it as "common", I wouldn't call it a grail either. While, for instance, despite a few years spent paying deep attention and studying (big word!...) every Strela I could find on the net, I think I've never encountered a slightly-curved edge style (or maybe I too am unable to identify one in a photo ).

This is to say that -assuming that the one we are seeing is actually a beveled edge case, which is far from having been proven- my theory is that it wouldn't be a Sekonda 3017 frankenized using a rare-but-not-so-rare-after-all older case, but rather the other way 'round: an earlier model brought to new life with a '70s dial and paddle hands. Alas, I can't find the website mentioned by comrade 24h, I would really like to give a look at the other pictures...

Anyway, this discussion is just an exercise of style: 1300+ bucks IMHO would still be excessive for a NOS example with papers, for this price I bet this piece will stay there forever.
    bpmurray likes this.

24h

I might be mistaken, but the beveled edge style (as named above) isn't the rarest of the three; just saying, in my humble collection alone I have 4 examples with it and, altough for sure I wouldn't describe it as "common", I wouldn't call it a grail either. While, for instance, despite a few years spent paying deep attention and studying (big word!...) every Strela I could find on the net, I think I've never encountered a slightly-curved edge style (or maybe I too am unable to identify one in a photo ).

This is to say that -assuming that the one we are seeing is actually a beveled edge case, which is far from having been proven- my theory is that it wouldn't be a Sekonda 3017 frankenized using a rare-but-not-so-rare-after-all older case, but rather the other way 'round: an earlier model brought to new life with a '70s dial and paddle hands. Alas, I can't find the website mentioned by comrade 24h, I would really like to give a look at the other pictures...

Anyway, this discussion is just an exercise of style: 1300+ bucks IMHO would still be excessive for a NOS example with papers, for this price I bet this piece will stay there forever.
    The website is called SovietCaliber.com and most watches are extremely overpriced. $3,500 for a Strela 3017...
    Great pictures though - I wish they were larger.

Quote Originally Posted by 24h View Post
    The website is called SovietCaliber.com and most watches are extremely overpriced. $3,500 for a Strela 3017...
    Great pictures though - I wish they were larger.
    I think that site has come up before. Nice stock, but what they are asking price-wise is so far above any reasonable market value that I fear they are just seeking to take advantage of people.

Quote Originally Posted by bpmurray View Post
    I think that site has come up before. Nice stock, but what they are asking price-wise is so far above any reasonable market value that I fear they are just seeking to take advantage of people.
    I just paid it a quick visit. Pro photographs, layout. Munich show-room — hmm... on appointment only. “Private” boutique.

Just a shrewd antiquary, asking but the price his kind of patrons are willing to pay. I’ve seen the type... These do not lurk here, being too busy making dough. They may be in a sort of peeing contest with equally wealthy friends. The high price tag, probably stapled on a beautifully decorated “certificate of authenticity”, the “exclusive” show-room are part of their game. Bring the price down, and some clients just won’t buy: suspicious, or not exclusive enough... Note some of these will be purchased as gifts to influential contacts, so the prestigious certificate becomes a must.

I’d bet on a good proportion of “New-Russians” among these patrons, but probably not exclusively. Haven’t we heard recently of some mister M., who paid five zeros to some NYC “designer” for a horribly tacky ostrich jacket he could have had for a couple grands in Vietnam (where it well may be actually made)? A New-Yorker alright, but it seems dear Paul caught some bad habits with Eastern friends known for their gold johns...

Anyway, I won’t blame such a seller, and won’t label all his clients as suckers only.
    oldfox likes this.

got to agree with Comrade Straight_time - it is most likely an early Cyrillic dial model (S/N 01111) redialled with a shiny newer Sekonda dial and hands
    bpmurray and Straight_time like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ham2 View Post
    got to agree with Comrade Straight_time - it is most likely an early Cyrillic dial model (S/N 01111) redialled with a shiny newer Sekonda dial and hands
    Seen the movement shot; unfortunately I just can't figure out the factory logo, but the chrono bridge has the Cyrillic "19 камней" marking: no way it could still be in use in the paddle hands era.

Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast

Thread Information