Admiring Russian/Soviet watches found online - Page 43
Like Tree498Likes

Thread: Admiring Russian/Soviet watches found online

Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast

Re: Admiring Russian/Soviet watches found online

Quote Originally Posted by PanKorop View Post
    Haven’t we heard recently of some mister M., who paid five zeros to some NYC “designer” for a horribly tacky ostrich jacket he could have had for a couple grands in Vietnam (where it well may be actually made)?
    OT- a quality ostrich strap (not a high-end one) easily costs in the $120-150 range... if you can find a new, genuine jacket for a couple of grands anywhere it would be worth purchasing, imagine the profit by tearing it apart and making straps out of it.

Seriously: I'm no American so I googled to find press reports and know who this Mr.M was... I won't discuss his tastes (nor his legal or illegal activities), but if you go walking on a fashion street next to you (for me it's Via Montenapoleone in Milan) you'll easily see that $15k for certain clothing items isn't an outrageous price tag; for instance, in other sections of this forum a $25k watch would be pretty ordinary, or else, generally speaking, a $200k sports car or a $2M house make no scandal.
    Not your cup of tea maybe (surely not mine), but using such an argument to try and "shock the masses" is just poor journalism, IMHO.
    Last edited by Straight_time; January 5th, 2019 at 19:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_time View Post
    OT- a quality ostrich strap (not a high-end one) easily costs in the $120-150 range... if you can find a new, genuine jacket for a couple of grands anywhere it would be worth purchasing, imagine the profit by tearing it apart and making straps out of it.

Seriously: I'm no American so I googled to find press reports and know who this Mr.M was... I won't discuss his tastes (nor his legal or illegal activities), but if you go walking on a fashion street next to you (for me it's Via Montenapoleone in Milan) you'll easily see that $15k for certain clothing items isn't an outrageous price tag; for instance, in other sections of this forum a $25k would be pretty ordinary, or else, generally speaking, a $200k sports car or a $2M house make no scandal.
    Not your cup of tea maybe (surely not mine), but using such an argument to try and "shock the masses" is just poor journalism, IMHO.
    I was deliberately provocative, and surprised I had no reaction so far
    Note here we’re not into journalism, just BBS, but I’ll settle for intentional Gonzo-ism...
    As for Milan (as I’m not American, just Transalpino) anyone wearing that precise jacket (google it out—it’s worth the search!) by the Duomo would pass as either a (beginning) pimp, or just a buffone. So, not a question of money, but of will to show off one’s wealth through bling.
    Beside, my only intent was to stress that “exclusive” antiquaries have a different patronage, and I did grant them the right to hike the prices how much they seem fit.
    Finally, I reckon that, if you go straight to the manufacturer, a quality ostrich strap, full grain, from a long reputed German maker so full EU norms, will cost you about $ 55. Half that price if grainless, smooth. The same if signed JLC? Up from $ 250, of course.

24h, Straight_time and oldfox like this.

Of course when I mentioned "poor journalism" I was referring to those few articles I read (the first 2 or 3 returned by the google search), which invariably pointed out mainly at the jacket's price -as if that was the real scoop, and in Mr.M's case there wasn't anything more serious to write about.

I said I wouldn't be discussing that guy's tastes in clothing and I'll keep my word; but please, comrade, be so kind to exempt me from googling the jacket... I'll go out for dinner in a while, and I fear more pictures of it could seriously affect my appetite. I'm sure you'll understand.

Thanks for the hint about ostrich straps; I reported the prices I saw online from a couple of different producers (in physical shops I expect them to be much higher, of course), glad to know that they can be also found for a more affordable amount.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_time View Post
    (...) I'll go out for dinner in a while, and I fear more pictures of it could seriously affect my appetite. I'm sure you'll understand.

Thanks for the hint about ostrich straps; I reported the prices I saw online from a couple of different producers (in physical shops I expect them to be much higher, of course), glad to know that they can be also found for a more affordable amount.
    Buon appetito!

Strap: Di Modell brand, from an eBay shop in Latvia—excellent service, btw. The band is really just as good, if not better (micro-perforations on the underside), as one I had which came on a JLC Heraion.
    oldfox likes this.

24h

Very cool, but the seller is certainly asking too much for the watch. $350

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  253.2 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  235.3 KB
    oldfox and elsoldemayo like this.

My YouTube Channel for watch modding and I​nstagram for (mostly) Russian watches

Quote Originally Posted by 24h View Post
    Very cool, but the seller is certainly asking too much for the watch. $350
    Cool, but bizarre design once detailed. The cosmonaut is looking out, back through the past (darkly...), and away from the star. Jungian.

The Автоматический bothers me: no two identical “и“ (hand painting or poor printout?), and it sounds strange on a watch.

The tick marks, at 5 per second, may be too much for the humble beat rate...

Now, it does look nice overall, and I really like the bracelet.
    24h likes this.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

The tick marks, at 5 per second, may be too much for the humble beat rate....
    Well to be fair, the Vostok ticks at five and a half per second. Why has nobody designed a dial for that?
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Quote Originally Posted by bpmurray View Post
    Quite the run going on German! This just sold earlier today:

Attachment 13690203
    What kind of band is this? I have seen some off-white rubberized textile straps on historical photos.. what are those straps - can they be bought new (if so - where) and could anyone post some detailed images of those if you have them?.. Any help is greatly appreciated!

t3tan3k

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    Well to be fair, the Vostok ticks at five and a half per second. Why has nobody designed a dial for that?
    Meaning 2 1/4 tick marks/second? A true swing beat...

Some do think of such details. I just checked the dial on my new Marloe watch, which I purchased in part for its Miyota 8N33 (21,600 bps). Now I understand it’s easier with this rate, but it does have three tick marks per second. Else? Don’t clutter the dial, just leave a nice clean railway track...

Btw, this whole Coniston watch is full of such tiny attentions — lots of little gray cells spent on it. Most are undocumented in their sales pitch, so I discover them little by little, like the display back with a slightly curved crystal.

24h

Cool, but bizarre design once detailed. The cosmonaut is looking out, back through the past (darkly...), and away from the star. Jungian.

The Автоматический bothers me: no two identical “и“ (hand painting or poor printout?), and it sounds strange on a watch.

The tick marks, at 5 per second, may be too much for the humble beat rate...

Now, it does look nice overall, and I really like the bracelet.
    You would rather have: ?

Name:  vostok_gagarin.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  863.7 KB

I think the number of tick marks was a design decision, rather than to serve a functional purpose. Both look good but I prefer the original
    You would know better than me, but all the translations on Google and Yandex return "автоматический" for automatic.

My YouTube Channel for watch modding and I​nstagram for (mostly) Russian watches

Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast

Thread Information