WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Admiring Russian/Soviet watches found online

70K views 447 replies 65 participants last post by  Chascomm 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Thought it would be fun to start a thread that is somewhat opposite of the franken thread, that highlights and appreciates fine Soviet and Russian pieces found on the web, but not necessarily in your personal collection. The fact is Russian/Soviet watches have increased in price quite a bit so there are some very unique and interesting pieces out there that may be beyond many of our means, but I thought it might still be fun to highlight them and have a conversation about them.

To kick things off, I wanted to show this Officer's Award Pavel Bure that has been on ebay for a while. It seems dropped dead gorgeous, fully 14k pocket watch, with excellent detailing of the royal court seal and a professionally well done inscription (something that I've found is quite rare with Russian pieces in general for some reason - inscriptions aren't done well and many seem sloppy, this one seems perfect).

See less See more
#381 · (Edited)
This type-I paratrooper watch spent a couple hours on ebay for sale during which I was trying to decide whether or not to buy it before it got snapped up:
You should have just asked me for the WUS discount price :). I had actually listed it also on here in the for sale wus forum.
Both listing where online for 5 days without a nibble, so in the end i got an offer and accepted. Slight loss but ok,

#415 ·
I might be mistaken, but the beveled edge style (as named above) isn't the rarest of the three; just saying, in my humble collection alone I have 4 examples with it and, altough for sure I wouldn't describe it as "common", I wouldn't call it a grail either. While, for instance, despite a few years spent paying deep attention and studying (big word!...) every Strela I could find on the net, I think I've never encountered a slightly-curved edge style (or maybe I too am unable to identify one in a photo :-( ).

This is to say that -assuming that the one we are seeing is actually a beveled edge case, which is far from having been proven- my theory is that it wouldn't be a Sekonda 3017 frankenized using a rare-but-not-so-rare-after-all older case, but rather the other way 'round: an earlier model brought to new life with a '70s dial and paddle hands. Alas, I can't find the website mentioned by comrade 24h, I would really like to give a look at the other pictures...

Anyway, this discussion is just an exercise of style: 1300+ bucks IMHO would still be excessive for a NOS example with papers, for this price I bet this piece will stay there forever. :-d

#423 ·
Of course when I mentioned "poor journalism" I was referring to those few articles I read (the first 2 or 3 returned by the google search), which invariably pointed out mainly at the jacket's price -as if that was the real scoop, and in Mr.M's case there wasn't anything more serious to write about.

I said I wouldn't be discussing that guy's tastes in clothing and I'll keep my word; but please, comrade, be so kind to exempt me from googling the jacket... I'll go out for dinner in a while, and I fear more pictures of it could seriously affect my appetite. I'm sure you'll understand. :-d

Thanks for the hint about ostrich straps; I reported the prices I saw online from a couple of different producers (in physical shops I expect them to be much higher, of course), glad to know that they can be also found for a more affordable amount. ;-)

#424 ·
(...) I'll go out for dinner in a while, and I fear more pictures of it could seriously affect my appetite. I'm sure you'll understand. :-d

Thanks for the hint about ostrich straps; I reported the prices I saw online from a couple of different producers (in physical shops I expect them to be much higher, of course), glad to know that they can be also found for a more affordable amount. ;-)
Buon appetito! :)

Strap: Di Modell brand, from an eBay shop in Latvia-excellent service, btw. The band is really just as good, if not better (micro-perforations on the underside), as one I had which came on a JLC Heraion.

#426 ·
Very cool, but the seller is certainly asking too much for the watch. $350 :think:
Cool, but bizarre design once detailed. The cosmonaut is looking out, back through the past (darkly...), and away from the star. Jungian.

The Автоматический bothers me: no two identical "и" (hand painting or poor printout?), and it sounds strange on a watch.

The tick marks, at 5 per second, may be too much for the humble beat rate...

Now, it does look nice overall, and I really like the bracelet.

#441 ·
Luch posted this on their Instagram yesterday, I had no idea there was a watch like this. Perfect design.

View attachment 14068255
I actually told how dad bought me one exactly like this in 1990 at one peripheral village.

Now I bought one in nos condition to commemorate this.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.