Amphibia tension ring installation?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MattBrace
  • 2 Post By RFollia

Thread: Amphibia tension ring installation?

Amphibia tension ring installation?

I recently got a type 350 Amphibia. As it is my "grail" as far as vostok watches go, I couldn't resist buying it despite it being a bit rough condition wise.

I have cleaned it and replaced gaskets.
    The original crystal is badly scratched and has yellowed as old plastics often do, so I will replace that too with a modern one.

BUT, the tension ring of the crystal has a camfered/angled inner diameter. Now I can't remember how it was assembled in the first place.

Do i put the narrow edge faced up (making it sort of a chapter ring) or down?
    Last edited by Hartig; December 30th, 2014 at 23:08.

Re: Amphibia tension ring installation?

Hi, Narrow edge is up so you can see it through the crystal and flat edge down so it seats flush with the back of the crystal ready for when you re-seat it to the case.

Hope that makes sense.

Regards
    saturnine likes this.

Sorry to put up this old thread
    I am restoring an old komandirskie "generalskie" paratrooper which came with a dead movement, broken balance staff and several wheels (not ticking again).
    Crystal was cracked, but.... had a tension ring inside.
    Removed old crystal, removed tension ring but I was unable to fit tension ring to the new crystal. Outer diameter of crystals is the same, but inner isn't. Tried with other tension rings bought new for amphibia and the same result.
    The original tension ring fits perfectly in amphibia crystal but not in modern komandirskie crystal.
    The new cristal, without tension ring, requires considerable effort to fit, using a crystal press, and fits with a healthy click in place. And can't be removed with finger pressure
    Don't like the idea of fitting the crystal without the tension ring as the stem is visible.
    Does it mean I have to fit an amphibia crystal if I want to keep the tension ring?
    Or are there any other alternatives?
    Best regards

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RFollia View Post
    Sorry to put up this old thread
    I am restoring an old komandirskie "generalskie" paratrooper which came with a dead movement, broken balance staff and several wheels (not ticking again).
    Crystal was cracked, but.... had a tension ring inside.
    Removed old crystal, removed tension ring but I was unable to fit tension ring to the new crystal. Outer diameter of crystals is the same, but inner isn't. Tried with other tension rings bought new for amphibia and the same result.
    The original tension ring fits perfectly in amphibia crystal but not in modern komandirskie crystal.
    The new cristal, without tension ring, requires considerable effort to fit, using a crystal press, and fits with a healthy click in place. And can't be removed with finger pressure
    Don't like the idea of fitting the crystal without the tension ring as the stem is visible.
    Does it mean I have to fit an amphibia crystal if I want to keep the tension ring?
    Or are there any other alternatives?
    Best regards
    This seems to be a common problem with new Komandirskie crystals. I may have a vintage used Komandirskie crystal that could be polished up. If that helps.

Cheers...

Thank you comrade!
    It seems that "new" Komandirskie crystals are thicker inside in order to dispense the use of tension rings.
    This evening I tried the tension ring into a regular amphibia crystal I had. It fitted first time.
    So then, it seems that whoever wants to keep a tension ring in a new crystal, has to fit amphibia crystal.
    Thank you so much for your kind offer, Comrade, but as the watch, once completed, may see quite a bit of water "dip", with an amphibia crystal it might be better protected.
    Best regards
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by RFollia View Post
    Thank you comrade!
    It seems that "new" Komandirskie crystals are thicker inside in order to dispense the use of tension rings.
    This evening I tried the tension ring into a regular amphibia crystal I had. It fitted first time.
    So then, it seems that whoever wants to keep a tension ring in a new crystal, has to fit amphibia crystal.
    Thank you so much for your kind offer, Comrade, but as the watch, once completed, may see quite a bit of water "dip", with an amphibia crystal it might be better protected.
    Best regards
    Robert
    No problem at all, good luck with the project.

Cheers...

Update-Fitted the amphibia crystal (wuth the original komandirskie tension ring) in the generalskie case. No problem. But... I maybe felt that the replacement komandirslie crystal (the one that did not allow tension ring), had a tighter fitting than the amphibia one. Ot it mayight be just me, aligning beter crystal and case?
    To sum up, comrades, nice and pretty and does not protrude as much. Happy to have another Vostok back in working condition!
    Best regards

Thread Information