Another Luch 3055 added to my collection

Thread: Another Luch 3055 added to my collection

Another Luch 3055 added to my collection

It's the one with white dial on the left. Now i have four watches of this type (plus a lot of spare parts from similar dead watches), the one with blue/silver dial has a very rare case.
    I can't resist to these complicated electro-mechanical movements, although sometime they gives some technical troubles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

On WUS since 2002 - Russian Watch Forum moderator from 2005 to 2012

Re: Another Luch 3055 added to my collection

Quote Originally Posted by BrianS
    I'm not familiar with Luch watches at all Michele, although they are very handsome. Are they quartz or some type of mechanical combination there of?
    They have an electro-magnetic balance wheel, controlled by a quartz circuit.
    If in good conditions, they can reach the same performances of a normal quartz watch.
    That line of watch was produced in the early '80s, when the electro-mechanical watch technology was already abandoned by the Western factories since many years :-S
    They are a combination of mechanical and electronic features, and it's fact that they are quite delicate (they need an accurate regulation ....and a good amount of spare batteries :-X ).
    I'm also fascinated by their design - they are very thick (because of the massive movement), and i like the crown at 4 and the day-date calendar.
    Sometime they make me curse O| , but they are too nice.
    BTW, the pic is not mine.

That is a really interesting movement! Is that a transistor to the right (the black square)?

Cool!

I was watching one on the Bay, but this Sturmanskie came up, and you know the rest :-D

Best regards,
    Griff

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

These are cool Michele. Can you still get batteries for them?

The 'half-way house' of an electric power source with a balance spring and wheel seems wierds now, but most watch firms explored this technology. They are very interesting pieces of history.

Quote Originally Posted by quoll
    These are cool Michele. Can you still get batteries for them?

The 'half-way house' of an electric power source with a balance spring and wheel seems wierds now, but most watch firms explored this technology. They are very interesting pieces of history.
    Yes, i had no problems till now. There is a shop just behind my home that sells electric material (batteries, light bulbs, etc) and now i buy from that shop instead of buying from the watchmaker (0,50 Euro against 3 Euro for each battery :-X ).
    The chief of that shop said that that type of battery (very BIG and thick...probably that big movement size was adopted because of the dimensions of the battery too) is currently used on small electronic toys and radios.
    BTW, after one day the watch is running at +/- 0 seconds since yesterday! :gold

Quote Originally Posted by zippofan
    That is a really interesting movement! Is that a transistor to the right (the black square)?

Cool!

I was watching one on the Bay, but this Sturmanskie came up, and you know the rest :-D

Best regards,
    Griff
    I'm not expert, but i guess that it's a transistor.
    Recently several pieces of this watch appeared on Ebay, sometime for good prices.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zippofan
    No, I think that is the microchip that processes the signal from the quartz occillator and sends the correction on to the transistor circuit. The switching is entirely transistorized i.e. no physical contact.

In theory this should be a more reliable system than the original Timex Quartz, which attached a quartz circuit to a Dynabeat electric movement; however Michele's experience suggests otherwise.

Why they bothered making this is a mystery when Slava pioneered the USSR's first quartz watch in the very early 1970s, with a step-motor movement; which was used successfully for many years by Slava, Poljot, Chaika and Raketa.

Another one added to my list! Our band better start booking more gigs, my watch money well has run dry... :-D

Thank you Michele and Chascomm for the information, I really appreciate it!

Sincerely,
    Griff

Thread Information