Any one familiar with this watch?

Thread: Any one familiar with this watch?

IDR

Any one familiar with this watch?

Poljot Chronograph Aviator III

I am looking to get something diffrent and I have just started looking at Russian watches. Any feedback is welcomed. I have not researched this much so feel free to make suggestions on watches and brands. :thanks

http://www.ruspluss.com/index.html?s...log&tovar=8362
    Tissot PRS 200 Black dial
    Victorinox Swiss Army Dive Master 500 Titanium
    invicta 6620 Chronograph

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: Any one familiar with this watch?

Quote Originally Posted by IDR

I am looking to get something diffrent and I have just started looking at Russian watches. Any feedback is welcomed. I have not researched this much so feel free to make suggestions on watches and brands. :thanks

It looks like a good example of the Aviator series; good lume, easy-to-read chrono minute register, date window at a convenient angle.

In case you're wondering, the 24-hour sub-dial is not independently setable. The movement is based on the old calibre 3133, which is like a Valjoux 7734 but ruggedized for military/aerospace use. Quality control on these is now starting to return to the high standards of the Soviet era. The Aviator III should be safe in this regard (please somebody tell me if I've got this wrong).

Shop around; there are several reputable on-line sellers offering good prices and decent after-sales service. Take a look at Russiansouvenirs.com , russia2all.com and vostok-watches.com for starters. Perhaps you might also want to consider the Vostok-Europe brand of watches. There are several happy owners on this forum.

If you want a chronograph I can recommend the Sturmanskie(navigator) models. Watches for the airforce in Soviet was named that from 49 and on i think. I have both a remake of the earliest model in memory of Gagarins flight and a Soviet made chrono and I like them both. The one in the picture is a contemporary Sturmanskie from Volmax and I saw it in an add in a watch magazine that it also went sucessfully into space recently. I want that badly

Regards
    Erik

ps the new looker I found at russia2all
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gagarin

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gagarin
    If you want a chronograph I can recommend the Sturmanskie(navigator) models. Watches for the airforce in Soviet was named that from 49 and on i think. I have both a remake of the earliest model in memory of Gagarins flight and a Soviet made chrono and I like them both. The one in the picture is a contemporary Sturmanskie from Volmax and I saw it in an add in a watch magazine that it also went sucessfully into space recently. I want that badly

Regards
    Erik

ps the new looker I found at russia2all
    But bear in mind that the chrono pictured has a minute register marked in increments of 2.5 minutes O|

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm
    But bear in mind that the chrono pictured has a minute register marked in increments of 2.5 minutes O|
    I wonder how a chronograph with an almost unusable minute register can be used in a space flight :-S
    Anyway, i have seen a pic of a RUssian cosmonaut who promoted Volmax watches. It would be a very good new if Poljot chronographs are again used in space missions.

On WUS since 2002 - Russian Watch Forum moderator from 2005 to 2012

Quote Originally Posted by michele
    I wonder how a chronograph with an almost unusable minute register can be used in a space flight :-S
    Anyway, i have seen a pic of a RUssian cosmonaut who promoted Volmax watches. It would be a very good new if Poljot chronographs are again used in space missions.
    I have an ad in front off me that says that lieutenant colonel Yuri Shargin carried this watch in October 2004 on a Souyz rocket. But I cannot see the reason for the weird minute counter, that would be a reason alone not to buy it.

I do apologize for recommending it, it looks good though and I like that the Sturmanskie tradition continues and that there are not only remakes.

The add is in the april issue of watchtime with the article on Volmax. The labor force is mainly from old Poljot, in the old building of Poljot and movements from Poljot if I recollect correctly. The output is a fragment in comparison, so I do agree with your debating on a other thread Michelle

This way of seeing things makes me glad - Poljot was the first brand a learned about and Volmax makes me feel there is some sort of continuation. This would rather encourage me to buy Volmax products.

Sincerely
    Erik

ps Chascomm, thanks for saving me behind:thanks
    Gagarin

Quote Originally Posted by gagarin
    I have an ad in front off me that says that lieutenant colonel Yuri Shargin carried this watch in October 2004 on a Souyz rocket. But I cannot see the reason for the weird minute counter, that would be a reason alone not to buy it.

I do apologize for recommending it, it looks good though and I like that the Sturmanskie tradition continues and that there are not only remakes.

The add is in the april issue of watchtime with the article on Volmax. The labor force is mainly from old Poljot, in the old building of Poljot and movements from Poljot if I recollect correctly. The output is a fragment in comparison, so I do agree with your debating on a other thread Michelle

This way of seeing things makes me glad - Poljot was the first brand a learned about and Volmax makes me feel there is some sort of continuation. This would rather encourage me to buy Volmax products.

Sincerely
    Erik

ps Chascomm, thanks for saving me behind:thanks

Why should you apologize for recommending it? :-S:-S That Sturmanskie Gagarin chrono is on my wishlist for sure, is a great collectable That silly minute counter is a real pity though O| Probably, if it was really used in space, Sharging made only short measurations with the seconds hand. Kevin (Strela) is much more expert about space watches, he should know if the watch was really used in space or not.
    Volmax is currently the most significant prosecutor of the Poljot tradition, and effectively many Volmax watches were previously produced with the Poljot brand. The most important fact, in any case, is that all the new Russian chronographs are made by the Poljot's men.

On WUS since 2002 - Russian Watch Forum moderator from 2005 to 2012

Quote Originally Posted by IDR

I have one just like that I purchased about a year and 1/2 ago. Keeps great time, has good lume (hands stay lit all night) and is a very good looking watch.

IDR

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Fiandra
    I have one just like that I purchased about a year and 1/2 ago. Keeps great time, has good lume (hands stay lit all night) and is a very good looking watch.

Pete,

Do you have any pics of the watch on your wrist? I'm curious to see it on a wrist before I buy. Do you have any recommendation as to where to purchase this watch? I’m not familiar with the online vendor.

TIA
    Tissot PRS 200 Black dial
    Victorinox Swiss Army Dive Master 500 Titanium
    invicta 6620 Chronograph

Thread Information