Is this authentic? (80s CCCP Scuba Dude 21j)
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Is this authentic? (80s CCCP Scuba Dude 21j)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this authentic? (80s CCCP Scuba Dude 21j)

I'm new to Russian watches, but I'm hooked! I bought this Vostov Amphibia from E-Bay, paid $150. Delivered from a Ukrainian dealer (eek!)... listed as a Soviet-made 80s Scuba Dude 21 jewels. It's in such great condition I'm concerned if its all original parts. Is it authentic??? These are the photos from E-Bay, I received the item, it matches the photos. I will open it up to inspect the movement when my friend comes over with his watch tools this weekend. Is there any definitive way to determine the year it was made?

I believe this is a 960 case, any idea where I can by aftermarket bands? Initial searches are sparse at best.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 11.32.22 PM.png
Views: 178
Size:  305.1 KBName:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  179.1 KBName:  s-l1600 (2).jpg
Views: 190
Size:  114.0 KBName:  s-l1600 (3).jpg
Views: 188
Size:  112.4 KBName:  s-l1600 (4).jpg
Views: 185
Size:  186.0 KBName:  s-l1600 (5).jpg
Views: 184
Size:  171.9 KBName:  s-l1600 (6).jpg
Views: 186
Size:  190.7 KBName:  s-l1600 (7).jpg
Views: 179
Size:  85.4 KBName:  s-l1600 (8).jpg
Views: 180
Size:  85.1 KB
    shahrincamille and RedFroggy like this.

Re: Is this authentic? (80s CCCP Scuba Dude 21j)

Welcome to the forum

The dial looks to be in great condition paint wise, however some of the lume dots on the right hand side appear damaged and/or missing. The hands are of the correct period however they appear to have been relumed and do not match the dial lume.

The movement looks correct (there should also be an "SU" stamped on the auto winding bridge but it's obscured in the photo) and the winding stem appears to be brass which is in keeping with the watch maintaining it's anti-magnetic qualities.

The case back has the required integrated anti-magnetic shield.

I believe the second hand should be red in color, however the history of the use of silver second hands is obscure at best.

Overall it's in good condition with the original folded steel watch band.

It's probably from the very late 80's or very early 90's. Due to the style of the 960 case finding watch bands is going to be hard, but luckily Meranom.com still sell this model and a variety of metal and leather bands and the required pins are available from there.

The price you paid is probably on the much higher side, however if it came with a matching passport with matching serial number as well as the watch box then it would be better value.

I have this model, however mine has a little paint degradation on the dial which is not uncommon for this time period.

If you decide to purchase more Soviet/Russian watches in the future please feel free to ask for advice from the forum members to make sure you get the best deal.

Cheers

Edit: Here is the link to some 960 lug adapters for the 960 case so you can use regular watch bands https://meranom.com/en/amphibian-cla...n-96-case.html

Name:  Vostok_Neptune_960_case_first_link-480x480.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  8.1 KB
    Last edited by mariomart; April 11th, 2019 at 11:48. Reason: Additional information.

Agree with Mario's excellent post! I will just add that both my neptune scuba dudes were originally with the silver meatball seconds hands (the black bezel model), so they should be appropriate, I think. They are harder to find, and even the new ones are quickly sold out at Meranom. Finding a good original set to buy is almost impossible.
    Ivan
    Avidfan likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congrats on your purchase Subdriver97 !!
    Blue "Scuba Dude" Amphibian are simply, IMO wonderful & iconic watches. Yours is in very good condition bearing in mind that it is minimum 30 years old ... Enjoy, you picked-up a very nice one :- )

I think the case number is 9370. The 960 is the polished one if I'm not wrong.
    mariomart likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thewatchadude View Post
    I think the case number is 9370. The 960 is the polished one if I'm not wrong.
    You are correct

It is indeed a 9370.

The watch is original, please keep the bracelet even it's thin folded steel.

I agree in principle. However the problem wih this bracelet is that it can't be adjusted to the owner's wrist size. Unless someone knows a trick I don't know?

I have a trick! The seller sent me a longer bracelet (not pictured in sale photos), which was perfect as the band it came with was too short for me... I swapped it immediately :P!

Name:  IMG_0758.JPG
Views: 121
Size:  1.94 MB

As with many soviet bracelets, you need to unbend the links, remove extra length and connect (bend back) the links. If you are careful enough, use soft fabric as padding there will be no noticeable marks left. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information